Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Well having a bunch of HDDs out of your main machine gives you more choice when you come to upgrade that. No need anymore for boards with loads of sata ports, might even get away with a smaller motherboard and case. Simplies your install, can use smaller psus (or your current rating will last longer before it needs an upgrade due to GPU etc).

The idle in a "large" pc is a bit higher than regular, your OS is likely to be on a regular HDD whereas people are using USB flash for the OS in microservers.

You can put the microserver somewhere else, headless, under the stairs, in a loft, in your TV unit, back of your wardrobe...

Soldato
Just out of interest what do people use their additional NICs for?

I've lobbed one of the ones in my sig in mine but don't really know why lol

Caporegime
Don't most have their pc running a lot of the time anyway? Unless you have a itx pc, i'd wager that a microserver AND a tower take up more room! Surely most here have large cases?

Cheap? Buying an EXTRA device surely can't bring a benefit of "cheap".

It's cheap to just use your desktop as a server, however if you want the benefit of a seperate server (server OS, low power consumption, putting it away from your desktop, server hardware) then the microserver is small, cheaper and more efficient that building a barebones second system. Hence them being very popular.

Caporegime
Can somone provide me instructions on how to install new German modified bios please?

Download the bios from HP
Then make the bootable usb by following instructions on the site
Then just copy the modded Bios making sure its called exactly the same name as the updated HP one over to the USB stick

Make sure you cut and paste the HP onto the desktop first

Then boot from usb and it auto flashes the bios.

Associate
Thank you, have updated successfully

Download the bios from HP
Then make the bootable usb by following instructions on the site
Then just copy the modded Bios making sure its called exactly the same name as the updated HP one over to the USB stick

Make sure you cut and paste the HP onto the desktop first

Then boot from usb and it auto flashes the bios.

Soldato
Does anyone here run any form of TV/PVR function off their microserver?

Looks like mediabrowser 3 (which I run off mine) is about to offer live TV functionality and I wondered if these little boxes were up to the job?

Caporegime
when i last looked it didn't ;) and to think i just updated to the stock hp one to get 8.1 one :(

Yeah I'm running windows server 2012 R2 on one and windows 8.1 on the other as a backup server

No issues.... I love these little boxes and takes away the stress of changing HDD's etc...

My WHS V1 system was good and thought I had my data orgainised until...You need to rebuild and you realise you don't :p

Now everything is backed up..New battery for my UPS and an APC 550 for the comms rack.

Plus Crashplan cloud.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What silent GFX card with HDMI will fit....?

I'm thinking I can run a HDMI cable through the wall from the study to the lounge and install XBMC on the backup server. Meaning I could get rid of my HTPC under the TV....

Back
Top Bottom