Shots where you wished you had a different lens!

Soldato
I've been using my good pics of the last airshow I went to this summer as my wallpaper rotation and I've seen this shot a few times and wished I had taken it with a longer lens for more detail/resolution!

Are there any shots people look at and think "I wish I had something else on at the time!"

Eurofighter Typhoon FGR4 by Phal44, on Flickr

Associate
Are there any shots people look at and think "I wish I had something else on at the time!"

Hell yes.

I was waiting for the seacat from Belfast to Stranraer. The ferry terminal is at the end of at 20 mile inlet, but from the car park, you can see none of this. I put on my steel toe caps and high vis and went with my 1Ds3 and 200mm f2.0 to ask for permission go onto the quay and take a photo of the boat coming in. I looked sufficiently impressive that the person on the counter phoned the harbourmaster to ask permission. I didn't hear the other end of the conversation but the responses were "He's a professional photographer" and "yes, he is already wearing high-vis". They explained that I was responsible for my own safety and let me through.

The weather was grey. I had the vantage point that I wanted but no decent image. As the boat got nearer, it got greyer and more damp. I took the shot but it was nothing impressive.

Until right at the end. The sun came out behind me.. Bright and vibrant. The ship emerged and was completely framed in a full rainbow against the darkening sky. Perfect.

But I only had the 200mm lens. I needed 16mm to capture the perfectly framed boat in this picture-postcard scene in front of me and that was back in the car park.

*sigh*

Andrew

Soldato
I've been wanting to buy a Nikon 24-70 2.8 for a while and I shot a wedding for the inlaws. they couldn't afford a tog and i kinda got dragged into taking some shots " Matts got a decent camera he'll take some pictures for you"

Well indoor shots with a 4.5-5.6 didn't go too well.

Soldato
OP that is a cracking shot. It may not be what you were trying to create. But as it was the first thing I saw when I opened the thread I though "dam what a cracking wallpaper"

Sometimes less is more

Soldato
You're never really going to have the perfect lens on hand for every given situation, so it's a feeling you get used to.

Sometimes an event unfolds and I don't even bother raising the camera any more because I just know I won't get the shot with what I have, or have time to change things up. Instead I've learned to just enjoy the moment with my own eyes while everybody else is fussing around with their own cameras.

This is obviously not the case if you're on a job, but you hedge your bets in that situation with gear selection.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Not so much wrong lens but plenty of times something has happened so quick I cant quite change settings quick enough, this for example I manged to fire off a quick shot as I realised the settings on screen were wrong, by the time I changed aperture it was all over!

So close but missed by one f stop by JasRJ, on Flickr

Caporegime
Not so much wrong lens but plenty of times something has happened so quick I cant quite change settings quick enough, this for example I manged to fire off a quick shot as I realised the settings on screen were wrong, by the time I changed aperture it was all over!

I had a similar mistake last year.

I spent a goof 3-4 hours photogrpahing an Osprey, trying to get better angles and get closer. I was getting tired and hungry so was walking back to the car, reviewing the days work when I heard this squawking. I looked up and saw the Osprey chase a Bald Eagle.

7410081598_f2f6942565_h.jpg

Since I had been shooting in denser canopy I was at f/5.6 (400mm f/4.0 with 1.4xTC). Had no time to change aperture. :(

Soldato
OP
OP that is a cracking shot. It may not be what you were trying to create. But as it was the first thing I saw when I opened the thread I though "dam what a cracking wallpaper"

Sometimes less is more

Yeah I really like the shot but I've had to crop a lot to get that :( just wish I'd had something longer so I didn't have to crop as much lol.

I bought my 100-400mm earlier this year because I was sick of not having the reach I wanted when I only had my 70-200mm F4L. Now I just keep wishing I had something like an 800mm! I guess even when I do eventually get something at around the 800mm mark, I'll wish I had a magic lens that let me see everything :/

I also don't bother reaching for my camera sometimes when I know it's already too late! Kinda frustrating in a way but at least I've seen it :)

Back
Top Bottom