Thank you to YOU.

Soldato
I explained why the case was :)

I see, So why did u keep 28k worth of items in a location that's seen as a risk?

You were simply asking for it to be stolen. Why Live there?

There is a reason i live in an area where the crime rate is next to nowt, there is neighborhood watch and A Police station 2 mins drive away.

You rent, it is almost a given that your landlord will have insurance yet you couldn't get any?

IMO OP was too tight to pay for it.

Associate
OP
OldCoals: indeed. as for the landlord having insurance - probably but that would be property insurance and not contents.

phantom_Shadow: agreed. So each has own lock/door to get into the property then there is one outside door that open and go through to get into the building.
the insurance company tells me they want a specific type of alarm installed which annoys me since I have CCTV and a good alarm system already installed (2 weeks ago)

Man of Honour
I still feel uneasy and don't feel like its my place anymore. I know, it sounds stupid but that is how it is.

It doesn't sound stupid at all - you've been violated in the place you are supposed to feel safest, which would make a lot of people feel uneasy and struggle to relax when away from the property for any length of time.

Thankfully I've never been burgled but the key worries I'd have after the event are:
1) Myself and family not feeling safe
2) Reluctance to leave property unattended and feeling of dread everytime I open the door wondering what I might find
3) Loss of / damage to sentimental items [note to self: do more digital backups!]
4) That awkward period where you think you've found everything that is missing/broken, then suddenly realise something else you'd forgotten about is gone.
5) Having to clean up all the mess
6) Impact on future insurance premiums (even ignoring the financial side, it would just be plain annoying, much like my wife who's had two non-fault claims on her car insurance, you see it there staring you in the face going "HAHAHA SOME SCUMBAG SCREWED YOU OVER AND NOW YEARS LATER YOU ARE STILL GETTING SHAFTED FOR IT LOLZ!")

The actual replacement of physical goods (covered by insurance) I wouldn't be too fussed about - in fact in a funny sort of way I might even look forward to it (i.e. new Car/TV/Computer etc)

Associate
OP
Diagro : hmm. thanks for turning on me and twisting things which are so not true at all... and so it begins, turning sour without even understanding but coming up with own conclusions and pinning it on the victim.

FYI, when I moved in 7-8 years ago, it was the safest place. things change, society changes! police station is literally 4 minutes walk away.

as for being tight? you have no idea. so please, keep such comments to yourself!

Associate
OP
It doesn't sound stupid at all - you've been violated in the place you are supposed to feel safest, which would make a lot of people feel uneasy and struggle to relax when away from the property for any length of time.

Thankfully I've never been burgled but the key worries I'd have after the event are:
1) Myself and family not feeling safe
2) Reluctance to leave property unattended and feeling of dread everytime I open the door wondering what I might find
3) Loss of / damage to sentimental items [note to self: do more digital backups!]
4) That awkward period where you think you've found everything that is missing/broken, then suddenly realise something else you'd forgotten about is gone.
5) Having to clean up all the mess
6) Impact on future insurance premiums (even ignoring the financial side, it would just be plain annoying, much like my wife who's had two non-fault claims on her car insurance, you see it there staring you in the face going "HAHAHA SOME SCUMBAG SCREWED YOU OVER AND NOW YEARS LATER YOU ARE STILL GETTING SHAFTED FOR IT LOLZ!")

The actual replacement of physical goods (covered by insurance) I wouldn't be too fussed about - in fact in a funny sort of way I might even look forward to it (i.e. new Car/TV/Computer etc)

indeed. some things though, in terms of sentimental values, cannot be replaced or be replicated/copied by digital methods.
just painful going through everything and cleaning it up and throwing away things because the scrote touched it.

Associate
OP
ok, so this thank you thread turns sour.... thanks guys.
I explained my situation. explained the circumstances and STILL my fault... wow. this is the society we live in. most likely these people are the ones doing the damage and robbing others regardless of being insured or not. some items are just not replaceable.

anyway, lets leave this thread before anything else negative and untrue gets said. some people are just dumb and illiterate and don't get what is being said after I have said NUMEROUS TIMES!

to the GENUINE people (which there are rare of and this thread proves it) - thanks for your words and support.

Associate
This is what I hate, stupid S.O.B rob you, but when get caught, the police don't have a way of making them pay. I bet you if there was a law where criminals would work for free until the money they stole was recovered, they wouldn't commit crime in the first place.

Soldato
This is what I hate, stupid S.O.B rob you, but when get caught, the police don't have a way of making them pay. I bet you if there was a law where criminals would work for free until the money they stole was recovered, they wouldn't commit crime in the first place.

That's actually very true.

It's, what I feel, is a very big failing of our justice system where scumbags can get done, and end up paying 1p a week or whatever out of their benefits towards the victim, simply because they don't have the income to do so.

They should be made (and I do mean FORCED) to perform work in the community at a comparable wage to a full time employee, with their wages sent directly to the designated benefactor. From the moment they step out of court.

If that means robot overseers equipped with cattle prods, then so be it.

Associate
There is a reason i live in an area where the crime rate is next to nowt, there is neighborhood watch and A Police station 2 mins drive away.

Don't you live with your parents? Also didn't you soil yourself when the angry phone-repaired guy came banging on your door? So much for that safe haven feeling safe eh :p

Associate
Personally, I would have got insurance before moving gear of that value into a place. There's plenty of companies that would insure your kind of situation, possibly at a higher premium as it's all down to the risk imposed.
Failing that, I would have used an alternative location to store the goods until I found somewhere that would insure.

What did you have that was worth 28k?!

Soldato
Most crime today is born from lack of respect and expectation of `i want it now and im having it now` ie not growing up! Sorry but imo if the bobbies on the beat could clip a kid around the ear for things they shouldnt be doing at an early age or parents were stricter or punishments for crimes more appropriate then society would be different.
Im sorry but working to pay off a debt you created by robbing someone isnt a punishment but more a, ok go get what you want and we will help you pay for it over time.....
Start cutting peoples hands off for stealing, rapists and murderers should face the death penalty, none of this everyone deserves a chance rubbish and more dont do it or else.
Im sure crime would disappear quite quickly in the next generation.
Yes i have been burgled before and my cousin has and its a horrible time, forget insurance and cost of items to replce its more what they leave behind that you cant see that is the biggest problem. The sudden thought that every noise could be a burglar, finding things days later that you have lost that cant be replaced, Photos, Items from people that have passed away etc.
The world is a scary place because there is no respect and no punishments in this country that fits the crime!!

Rant over, and im well aware other will disagree and think this is too radical, but sit back and think, would you burgle again if you thought you may lose a hand ? extreme but im afraid it would work.

Back
Top Bottom