Mk1 MX5, general advice and what to look out for?

FOr anyone interested this is what he sent me regarding mot and cat. hes an mot tester with his own garage

From K reg it will need a cat to be able to meet the emissions.
If it is pre K reg, then the emission limit is 3.5co
K reg onwards is tested on fastpass at 0.2 co, and if it can't make it on past pass, it is extended to 0.3 limit.

A k reg onwards will never make the limits without a cat, best it will acheive is around 0.5co.

Afaik that was the old MOT rules.
As of July 2012 any car that has no cat when it left the factory with one is an MOT failure, so all UK MX5s fail unless you have a friendly (dishonest) MOT tester.

From the AA:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

Exhaust
A catalytic convertor fitted as original equipment but missing will be a reason for failure.

My main question would be why the back bumper is covered in thick black soot around the exhaust :confused:

The tip of my decat exhaust does get a bit black over a few months, but wow that is a lot of black crud up the back of the car!
Otherwise the car looks good.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mines died on saturday, went to start and nothing, checked what i left on, nothing, charged over night, went for a run, went to start it this morning and nothing again, can only presume the battery's had it, not changed anything or added/removed anything and the run was about 7 miles so if it wasnt charging i would have soon known

Soldato
Mines died on saturday, went to start and nothing, checked what i left on, nothing, charged over night, went for a run, went to start it this morning and nothing again, can only presume the battery's had it, not changed anything or added/removed anything and the run was about 7 miles so if it wasnt charging i would have soon known

Sounds like the battery has had it, ebay looks to have them for about £40 delivered so not too bad. Previous owner of mine handed me the invoice for the battery he bought (as it was still under warranty) and I'm sure he paid about £100 :eek:

Back
Top Bottom