• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Soldato
Does tommy make the list Orangey?

Happy;) Powercolor 290>(X) here, running with a moded AC 5870:eek: Xtreme with Alpenföhn -'The BEAST'-VRM-it whips all the custom cooled cards(so far) for air cooling:D

Maybe get some pics for reference Air coolers if that's any help.

Happy Christmas 290 users.:)

Soldato
OP
Does tommy make the list Orangey?

Happy;) Powercolor 290>(X) here, running with a moded AC 5870:eek: Xtreme with Alpenföhn -'The BEAST'-VRM-it whips all the custom cooled cards(so far) for air cooling:D

Maybe get some pics for reference Air coolers if that's any help.

Happy Christmas 290 users.:)

Added you, have you got a pic we can use? Rig pic is fine. :)

Soldato
Tommy 'The Dremel' Bhoy knows how it's done :D

He sure does!:D

Moded 79070 AC Xtreme with Alpenföhn -'The BEAST'-VRM :D

29c916c15b206a615b1470393c4e2c22.jpg

ca6728a6d5807a6a150bf2c015d17d8b.jpg

Added you, have you got a pic we can use? Rig pic is fine. :)

I have some, may be able to take more up to date ones as well.

the mod above has been done on the above AC 5870 Xtreme(right hand one) and sitting on top off my 290(X).

:)

Caporegime
I'm running my R9 290 at -94mv at 1000MHZ, with the fan at just auto, it's getting at like 45% fan speed and 93c max so far in Fifa 14, no throttling, but it's very quiet :p

Are you using afterburner to reduce voltage? If so may i see your settings? I find i get flickering if i lower voltage lower than -50mv yet games appear to be stable.

Caporegime
I only got flickering when I lowered Aux.

But as my room's got warmer from the volcano, I'm getting some throttling, but I'm only tweaking at the moment so it's not a biggie.

I think I've got a decent core, memory overclock isn't up to anything on the voltage it's at unfortunately, I bet I'd see some gains from it too (At 1500MHZ memory, a 1000MHZ Core R9 290 in Heaven is within 1-1.5% of an R9 290X)

Under water I think this would be a decent chip.

ScreenyforLT.png

Associate
Chalk this 290 owner here please :), a ref sapphire 290.

I've got a pair of reference Sapphire 290s, currently running on air, but the plan is to watercool at some point (hopefully soon).

What is your feedback on the two stock 290's on air? I use siberia v2's, and can't hear my current card when gaming, but I want to know your feedback.

Are you watercooling due to noise? Do you have much of a gap between the cards, I am running a maximus IV gene-Z and don't know how much of a gap is acceptable. Also, what are temps like do you find?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want it straight from the mouth of someone who already has what I want. :)

Also, here is my pride and joy, firestrike 10600 score, 2600k@4500 and the card at 1200/1550 or thereabouts. http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1275322

Normally I run at stock, or a slight overclock of 1050/1400 or so when gaming.

Here is the case: (Those with a nervous disposition towards limited cable management look away now :p)
2vdi87b.jpg
On first glance, could I stick a second one above the current one?
2zdwvub.jpg
I almost thought it wouldn't fit ;) :
2uhx1yd.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
What is your feedback on the two stock 290's on air? I use siberia v2's, and can't hear my current card when gaming, but I want to know your feedback.

Are you watercooling due to noise? Do you have much of a gap between the cards, I am running a maximus IV gene-Z and don't know how much of a gap is acceptable. Also, what are temps like do you find?

I've found that my cards can throttle quite quickly if left to use the default fan behaviour, so I've set up a custom profile (which I'm still tweaking). This profile does make the cards louder than normal. Currently my fan profile is keeping my cards around the 80ºC mark under load. I'm not sure if running 2 cards is causing much of a difference to temperatures, I'd guess it may affect it a bit.
I'm currently using a Rampage IV Extreme board and the default positions for 2 cards (to use 2 x 16x PCI-e 3.0) means there are 2 slots between the cards (i.e. you could fit another card in between them).

As for watercooling, I've been planning to watercool since I had my GTX 670 SLI. I then went to 7950 Crossfire briefly and planned to watercool them (which I still plan to do in my second rig) and now I'm using 290 crossfire I plan to watercool that. So I'm not watercooling because of the 290s. That said, because of the heat and noise from these cards it does seem like a very good idea.

Back
Top Bottom