Corsair AX860 PSU Dead

Associate
Woke up a few days ago to the distinct smell of a blown PSU. PC was dead and wouldn't boot at all. Upon removing the PSU, here's what I found:

psu01.jpg

psu02.jpg

psu03.jpg

psu04.jpg

As you can see the wires had melted at the modular connector on the PSU, so much so that I couldn't remove the connector, instead it pulled the connector socket from the PSU pins themselves!

This happened in the middle of the night, so I was quite lucky a small fire hadn't started!

I was running a 3570K at stock and a mildly overclocked HD7990 all watercooled. PSU should be plenty powerful enough.

It was bought from an online retailer in October so will definitely be getting RMA'd.

Jim

Associate
OP
This was the 6+2 pin PCI-E cable connected to my 7990 graphics cards, so i'm assuming that the single modular cable to 2x8pin connectors simply couldn't handle the current that my card was drawing

Associate
OP
I'm guessing that's what has happened but I won't know for sure until my new PSU arrives tomorrow. Hopefully it didn't take any other hardware with it, especially my graphics card!

I think from here on out I'll be using 2 separate PSU modular cables for each of the 8 pin connectors on the graphics card (rather than 2 from the same lead)

Associate
I think from here on out I'll be using 2 separate PSU modular cables for each of the 8 pin connectors on the graphics card (rather than 2 from the same lead)

Yeah my 2 7990's both didn't even want to play with a split cable, system would start but as soon as I maxed out the card it shut the system off, they wanted a separate cable per socket each, greedy ****ers :D

Here's hoping my 1200AXi doesn't suffer the same fate.

Associate
Ouch - I have a AX860 - Had it about 3 months as it was an RMA replacement for a HX850 that went pop. Are you sending it back to the retailer or to Corsair direct?

Associate
OP
Ouch - I have a AX860 - Had it about 3 months as it was an RMA replacement for a HX850 that went pop. Are you sending it back to the retailer or to Corsair direct?

I've contacted Corsair, but I imagine they'll advise me to RMA it with the retailer. It was bought 17/10/13 so don't know if I can still RMA it with the retailer.

Soldato
I requested RMA with Corsair on Christmas Day and paid £50 deposit for a H100, so far their support seems awful. I have no idea when the bloody thing will arrive!

Associate
I've contacted Corsair, but I imagine they'll advise me to RMA it with the retailer. It was bought 17/10/13 so don't know if I can still RMA it with the retailer.

Corsair like to deal with all RMA, so you will probably be required to send it to them - brace yourself though, because it will need to go to the Netherlands.

My PSU cost me around £24 to send back for RMA - I did receive an upgrade though, and it appears most people do.

Associate
My Corsair went pop about 20 minutes ago. Installed for about 3 years 6 months... on a 3 year warranty.

Not sure if I should get a new corsair, as it lived past the warranty, or replace it with some other company.

Decisions. I don't need decisions right now.

Associate
Said it before in another thread, but head over to the OC3D forums with a blind fold and look for the corsair customer service section. Guy by the name of Grey_beard (from corsair) handles everything there and generally sorts out shipping labels for anyone that asks.

Got an M90 mouse with a faulty scroll wheel sent to them, they in return sent back a brand new M95 mouse. Didn't pay a penny on postage and UPS even came to the door to collect it.

Again I would love to see a vendor support section on the forums for RMA's and such.

Associate
My Corsair went pop about 20 minutes ago. Installed for about 3 years 6 months... on a 3 year warranty.

Not sure if I should get a new corsair, as it lived past the warranty, or replace it with some other company.

Decisions. I don't need decisions right now.

which model?

Associate
OP
Well some good news, my new superflower PSU arrived this morning from OCUK, and so far it looks all my other hardware is working fine.

I've been assigned an RMA number from Corsair so will look at getting it posted back. An upgrade would be nice in return for the inconvenience :)

Back
Top Bottom