• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Soldato
So now I'm getting a 0x000000001 BSOD...

Never had a single crash or BSOD on this PC with my GTX780 installed, now with this 290 nothing but problems :(

This card is driving me insane also I've contacted OCUK to RMA it think i've got one with dud memory - even when I get my replacement i'll be sticking to stock cooling and stock pc settings to make 100% sure the card is fine. I've got the Hynix (or is it hypnix? memory also which is meant to be the better one).

EDIT: Apologies looks like I've got the Elpdia memory.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Still having 0xA0000001 error and its really starting to **** me off now.... Had the card since 9:30am today and not played a single ****ing game on it....

Permabanned
I'd try running the rest of your system in stock just to test that's what I've done. What PSU do you have?

Everything is stock... I have a Corsair 850w unit that's only 2 weeks old.... Managed my 1.3Ghz 780 fine.

It's the card and not my system, it's just a piece of ****... AMD need to step up there quality control.

Soldato
Everything is stock... I have a Corsair 850w unit that's only 2 weeks old.... Managed my 1.3Ghz 780 fine.

It's the card and not my system, it's just a piece of ****... AMD need to step up there quality control.

Agreed. I have the same PSU and about 2 weeks old also.

Soldato
I have a VTX3D Radeon R9 290 Pre-Flashed to 290X ordered on the 24 november 2013.

Case inside shot as box is in the loft -

not quite sure what to expect in terms of what i should easily be getting when ocing this as i have elipidia ram, can bench at 1150 to 1170 core with 1500 on the ram, but i do occasionally when using cgminer get a crash and garbled display red/pink looking, need to test more in games. Battlefield 4 was black screening but not played it whiled ocd for a bit.

Soldato
OP
I have a VTX3D Radeon R9 290 Pre-Flashed to 290X ordered on the 24 november 2013.

Case inside shot as box is in the loft -

not quite sure what to expect in terms of what i should easily be getting when ocing this as i have elipidia ram, can bench at 1150 to 1170 core with 1500 on the ram, but i do occasionally when using cgminer get a crash and garbled display red/pink looking, need to test more in games. Battlefield 4 was black screening but not played it whiled ocd for a bit.

Added!

Soldato
A quick update on mine to help anyone else if they have problems - I just left Unigine heaving running on mine for 2 hours no problem... and I've only had the one black screen when idle. I'm starting to think maybe it black screened to reset the temperature and it was creeping up to 90C watching a blu-ray and not being in 3d mode it never accelerated the fan above 20% I might cancel the RMA and see if a custom low temp fan profile sorts it out.

Soldato
I have a kraken on order and a corsair hydro h55 to cool the core and hope to keep the vrms at good temps as well and i think i may get more core speed out of this card but the memory is where the issues seem to be here, bloody elpida

Caporegime
A quick update on mine to help anyone else if they have problems - I just left Unigine heaving running on mine for 2 hours no problem... and I've only had the one black screen when idle. I'm starting to think maybe it black screened to reset the temperature and it was creeping up to 90C watching a blu-ray and not being in 3d mode it never accelerated the fan above 20% I might cancel the RMA and see if a custom low temp fan profile sorts it out.

I've never had a black screen and i use a custom fan profile. Try this for size.

phTkdd4.jpg

Soldato
Mine was fairly similar but I've changed it to be the same as yours pretty much.
I see you've changed the core volt but how does the power limit works? Always confused me as surely up to +50% more power means you go over the core limit you've set?

fanspeed.JPG

Last edited:
Caporegime
Mine was fairly similar but I've changed it to be similar to yours.
I see you've changed the core volt but how does the power limit works? Always confused me as surely up to +50% more power means you go over the core limit you've set?

fanspeed.JPG

Power limit should be set +50% and then ignore it. Its just how much power the card can draw before it reaches its TDP. My theory is power tune is a little bugged at the moment. Immature drivers. I believe the fan is not kicking in until its too late causing the black screen issue. That's just my two cents and could be wrong though, not tested the theory much.

Under volting helps keeps temps down and means you can get away with a lower fan speed. Shut down afterburner and double click the +150mv shortcut included in the rar file download. It will give you some voltage control on afterburner, you can then under volt if needed like i do. Without under volting i need a more aggressive fan profile. I also have two cards in crossfire so if you have just one card it won't need to be as aggressive.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jqjw53

Soldato
OP
Power limit allows the card to draw more watts in excess of normal, so for a 250W card it would allow 125W extra to be drawn from the PSU at +50%.

At least that's my understanding.

Permabanned
Just got back from the OCUK store, took my 290 back and it was tested and confirmed faulty.

Staying away from them until they get the quality control up too the standard that there competitor offers.

Had a couple of 4Gb 270x's to play with instead and surprise surprise, my computer and drivers work fine with them installed.

AMD really dropped the ball with the reference 290 cards.

Soldato
Seems like a rushed product in every way with the rubbish stock cooler, black screen issues and driver/compatibility issues which is a shame as it's great value for performance. Thankfully I think mines OK the only issue is heat which will be a non issue once I stick my 3rd party cooler on after more stability testing over the weekend.

Associate
What would you say is the best cooler I could slap on this, is there one that doesn't add any extra length than the stock cooler? Also, considering I haven't done this before, one that is relatively easy. I was looking at the gelid icy vision REV. 2, cheap, and is very short at 216mm or something like that. Its just things like the little vrm heatsink that i know nothing about. Or if it is even worth it.

Back
Top Bottom