Will our generation "grow out" of gaming as easy as previous ones?

Associate
Interesting topic a friend brought up last night. Being in my late 20's I'm starting to see others in my social circle begin to settle down and start families. Now I'm no where near that stage yet but its just one of those facts of life.

I grew up gaming on pretty much anything I could get my hands on, and as I got older I never really stopped. To me, it's a very important hobby for several reasons - A couple include that it's very social, every time I game I'm normally on our TeamSpeak server with friends I've known/gamed with for many years, including my brother. Also, I find gaming quite stress relieving. After a long day at work I look forward to gaming, it's how I unwind.

I honestly hope I don't grow out of it. Considering how accessible it is now it probably will make it easier. Back when I was a kid consoles of that time didn't really have online multiplayer and PC gaming was in its infancy.

It still frustrates me how some people, particularly woman attach such a stigma to gaming and how it's pointless and a waste of time.

Anyway, what do you think?

Transmission breaker
Don
You run out of time for gaming.
I get perhaps a couple of hours a week in at most, and that tends to be on my old Xbox360. I used to be a hardcore PC gamer (tm) but I have recently lapsed on I-racing which was my last PC gaming fix. Apart from the odd old-skool game bashing when I am flying somewhere or sat in a hotel room.
I have a kid, a demanding job, and other more pressing matters to attend to when I get some free time :)

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
My Xbox was turned on over Christmas because someone gave our kids a DVD, other than that, don't think it's been on for 6 months, used to game a lot but kids, job and wife get in the way.

Man of Honour
No, you have less time for gaming. But most people i know with kids still game.

Other generations didn't have computer gaming.

But they had other ways to waist time, like tv. Did they grow out of that as they ages?

Associate
Um well yes the crowd i played xbox and ps3 and pc gaming has diminished as we are all in our thirtys with wives, some with kids and demanding jobs.

I have gone from putting many hours 20+ into games to just a few hours a week.

It does happen and your only going to upset her indoors if you come home and spend all night gaming... trust me i fell foul of this everytime a COD or fallout game was launched!:D

Its not growing out of it , its having the time to do it. i suppose

Transmission breaker
Don
That concerns me a bit - I need a lot of time to myself to do my own thing and unwind :p.

You can still game, but it will be at the expense of other things.

I retired from serious sport last year, but still train (only once a week now) and play most weeks, as well as playing cricket in the summer when I am not with the baby :)

I still have my man-cave though and do dive in there when I can to get some winding down time. I slowly make models, and work on model aircraft for example. I never get more than an hour though at a time unless I am willing to stay up really late.

Its just life :) You will have to pick things you want to do, and may find gaming takes a back seat!

Associate
Same here, just not got the time anymore.

The other thing is I find the games I do enjoy you have to invest time in, by the time I go back to them I have forgotten controls or what I was doing etc.

I actually play more older games now, Sonic for example as I know I can have a quick blast for ten minutes or so. That or sports games where I can set the time limit on a match and just play one game.

Soldato
I go through phases where I can't be bothered with gaming, despite having the time (I'm going through one now). Having other hobbies means that my focus tends to shift with the alignment of the planets. :p

I never plan on giving it up though. :D

Soldato
Depends on how you look at it really. For me gaming is akin to watching movies, listening to music, reading and even appreciating art. Of course not all games fall under this criteria, but my serious enjoyment of games began when I played my first RPG on the Sega Megadrive. Gaming is a part of my life, not simply a distraction, and as such I can't see a point where I would dismiss it for some equally trivial thing (raising a family, for example). I might find myself shifting it around in terms of free-time, sure, but unless gaming is somehow destroyed or overtaken by some sort of worldly event (some sort of apocalyptic scenario, I guess), then it'll always be with me. Gaming has also introduced me to ideas and people I doubt I'd ever interact with, so it has progressed beyond the simple act of 'playing a game'. Not to mention that my personal life and work are intertwined with all of the above.

In the end, it's up to you how you prioritise gaming. It's obviously different for everyone, and indeed some people 'move on' from gaming (I find the term "grow out" to be akin to the stigma that some people tend to attach to it, it's already implying that it is something to be transcended, such as nappies :rolleyes:), and that's fine. But if you don't, that's fine too. :)

Soldato
Interesting topic a friend brought up last night. Being in my late 20's I'm starting to see others in my social circle begin to settle down and start families. Now I'm no where near that stage yet but its just one of those facts of life.

I grew up gaming on pretty much anything I could get my hands on, and as I got older I never really stopped. To me, it's a very important hobby for several reasons - A couple include that it's very social, every time I game I'm normally on our TeamSpeak server with friends I've known/gamed with for many years, including my brother. Also, I find gaming quite stress relieving. After a long day at work I look forward to gaming, it's how I unwind.

I honestly hope I don't grow out of it. Considering how accessible it is now it probably will make it easier. Back when I was a kid consoles of that time didn't really have online multiplayer and PC gaming was in its infancy.

It still frustrates me how some people, particularly woman attach such a stigma to gaming and how it's pointless and a waste of time.

Anyway, what do you think?

Million-dollar question.

As a kid, I loved gaming. My childish views of 'when I grow up' was me having my own place with loads of awesome gaming PCs everywhere that me and my mates could play LAN games for 48hr sessions.

Nowadays, i'm single and in my late 20s, my life is more focused around my job which dominates 99% of my life. Paying off student debt/credit cards leaves no money for much else really.

A few friends are 'settling down' as you put it, but they are fighting with their spouses/girlfriends to play games which appears to cause a bit of unrest.

If you see how social interaction has changed over the duration since we were kids, you can see that PCs/Mobiles/Laptops are far more popular and Facebook/Twitter are all the rage. Computers are losing their stigma of 'geek/nerd' status, and are becoming more readily accepted.

Coming back to your topic, PC games take a huge slab of time to play, progress and master, and that will be the biggest stumbling block. Marriages may flounder as a spouse is consumed by the need to play a game, ignoring their real world responsibilities.

I personally dedicate all my time to work, and my few remaining hours a day to food/gaming to relax.

Gaming can be used for mental stimulation, and is often cheaper than most other hobbies (drinking, clubbing etc) and far less risky than sports (although fitness is still needed to be kept up!). It would ultimately depend on the individual and their spouse as to how they see Gaming, and if they tolerate or resent it.

Man of Honour
Im probably of an older generation and also very busy but I still find time now and again for some shooting and killing, virtually most of the time. The advantage of getting older is you only need 25 minutes a week of sleep, so you can game when the mind is restless....or on your way to the loo for the 25th time if you're really old :D

Soldato
Don't think so, a lot of the guys I work with grew up around games (not the Playstation generation though, earlier than that) and they still game probably more than me even though they have families etc. Just because you don't binge games anymore doesn't make you any less of a gamer, I consider myself a 'gamer' but I probably only clock 4-8 hours a week. It's a hobby and interest beyond actually playing imo, interest in the industry & art is all part of it too.

Soldato
You will run out of time!!! :(
I used to love gaming (still do, but never get the chance).

So, word of advice, if it's something you enjoy, embrace it and enjoy it while you can.
Having a business, wife, and child takes up some of your time ;)

Permabanned
I doubt it. Video games these days are a far cry from what they used to be. Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Heavy Rain, The Last of Us, Max Payne (to name but a mere few) - modern video games have more artistic merit than a lot of films and music that is produced today. The problem is the stigma that comes with them being video games. Jesus, Heavy Rain was more like an interactive movie than a video game and it was still enthralling.

Permabanned
There is the mgtow which is a group of men that say they will never get married and have children as far as i understand it. I am not a mgtow as would like to have long term relationships with the right woman. But i would not out of fear of loneliness go with any woman, some guys settle for the first woman that likes them and spend 20 years with her and then end up alone at 45 and struggle with it. My dad would rather be in a relationship with any woman as long as he is not alone. I don't realy see why gaming in that context has to be seen as a matter of maturity. I think it can depend on the game as well, while some seem more mature than others. But gaming in general if done casually enough can be done until old age. Its like watching TV, the content can be childish but the act a lone is not, well in my opinion.

Man of Honour
The last time I played a game was Time Crisis on the PS1 so 1997 when I was 39 years old.
I'd love to play games but can't be bothered however watching my nephew playing FIFA 14 and Battlefield 4 on his PS4 had me raising my eyebrows.

Back
Top Bottom