Uni grades?

Soldato
Hey all,

I am hoping some you learned people can help explain Uni grades to me! I am currently enrolled in a BSc(Hons).

Is a 2:2 in an Hons more highly thought of a 2:2 in a regular degree?

I am aiming for a 2:1 (don't think i could make a 1st), but have to be honest in that it just be a 2:2.

Soldato
In reality, I don't think it matters whether you have the Hons or not. If you were an interviewer, do you think that would actually have any effect on the way you think? I think it would be much more character based ie how you perform in your interview.

I love my 2:2

Associate
I think the honours system is what gives rise to 1st, 2:1, 2:2 and 3rd. A non honours (or ordinary) degree is just a pass or fail I think.

Soldato
In my Uni (not sure if this is the same for all) an Hons just meant that you had passed every module.

What is your degree in?

Mine was in Computer Science and the majority of graduate placements required a minimum of a 2:1. That's not to say you couldn't get a job in this field, but that you wouldn't be eligible for a graduate placement.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I got my Hons because I did a sandwich degree (3 years study, 1 year work placement).

To the interviewer I guess the Hons won't matter much but if you did something like a work placement to achieve it then that will certainly count.

Associate
In reality, I don't think it matters whether you have the Hons or not. If you were an interviewer, do you think that would actually have any effect on the way you think? I think it would be much more character based ie how you perform in your interview.

I love my 2:2

It does matter if you want to be a Chartered Civil Engineer.

Soldato
I think the honours system is what gives rise to 1st, 2:1, 2:2 and 3rd. A non honours (or ordinary) degree is just a pass or fail I think.

This was my understanding of it also.

After 3 years, you have a BSc then you can do another year and get a BSc(Hons) with a specified grade.

Associate
At my university only the dumb-asses got regular degrees. They only had to complete 80 credits instead of 120 and they didn't get classified with a grade - it was pass or fail.

So if I ever was to interview anyone with a regular degree, I will show them the door pretty quickly.

Soldato
I got my Hons because I did a sandwich degree (3 years study, 1 year work placement).

To the interviewer I guess the Hons won't matter much but if you did something like a work placement to achieve it then that will certainly count.

I had an SW added to the end of mine to represent the sandwich status.

And I agree with the work placement, A friend of mine scraped a 3rd in his degree and is working in a blue chip company because of doing his work placement there.

Soldato
Hey all,

I am hoping some you learned people can help explain Uni grades to me! I am currently enrolled in a BSc(Hons).

I am aiming for a 2:1 (don't think i could make a 1st), but have to be honest in that it just be a 2:2.

There is no such thing as a 2:2 in an ordinary degree. You just get an ordinary degree. These are most often awarded to people who have failed bits of their honours degree along the way, and are lower than a third class honours.

Work had and get a 2:1, you don't regret it. You are fairly like to regret it if you get a 2:2, though, as many doors close to you.

Man of Honour

It's unlikely to matter hugely, I'd suspect other factors such as how you present yourself, what extra-curriculars you can show, the quality of the institution you went to etc. are all likely to make the bigger difference. If after all that you're level pegging with someone who has the same grade but in a regular degree then it might come into it but really it's quite unlikely and if you're in that position I'd suggest then you're already on a bit of a shoogly peg seeking to rely on the preconceptions of the employer matching yours.

As Nitefly says I'd think you want to walk out of university with the best degree classification you can, if you're still in a position to get a 2:1 then it makes sense to put in that extra effort as it's for a comparatively short period of time but can have a reasonably significant impact on the next few years after university particularly. Or to put it another way if the wisdom of the forum suggested that a 2:2 (Hons) was better than a 2:2 then would you stop working towards the 2:1 anyway? Aiming for the bare minimum can sometimes work out but it's not always a smart move when a little bit more can ease what you have to do subsequently.

//edit or maybe you can't get a 2:2 anyway so it's all irrelevant except that I'd suggest you're still better aiming for the best degree classification you can get.

Soldato
2.2 means 'second class honours (lower)' as far as I am aware, if you don't get honours you can't get a 2.2. You might have an equivalent average mark to one but without honours the best you achieve is a pass.

How you are awarded honours is often university dependent and will be explained amongst all the guff your uni no doubt has on its intranet.

Soldato

this.

but also

ordinary degree = 3 years +1 year for honours.

So if you wanted to finish uni asap you could just walk out with an ordinary degree aft 3 yrs..but most graduate jobs want you to have an honours degree (2:2 or 2:1 minimum)

Associate
So if you wanted to finish uni asap you could just walk out with an ordinary degree aft 3 yrs..but most graduate jobs want you to have an honours degree (2:2 or 2:1 minimum)

I'm fairly sure you can do a 3 year B.Eng Honours degree in Engineering - you certainly could - I have one (a 2:1 \o/ go me!).

Associate
^^ somewhat true, but depends on your degree

In CS, getting a 2:2 might close the doors to a banking sector job and maybe BT or the likes, but they're uncreative boring ones anyway, few years of experience and it becomes a lot less relevant

Soldato
As someone who interviews for professionals/graduates, I pay zero attention to the grade of a degree as it is (in my experience) not a good indicator of how good you will be at the job.

A degree tells me you have an understanding of the degree subject matter, can read and interpret data and pass exams. It doesn't tell me that when I bring you in and start you working that you will be able to undertake the tasks I set you even with mentoring. I've had graduates with a 3rd who could run rings around another member of staff with a 1st, I've also had engineers with no degree but with work experience that have far exceeded their counterparts with a university education.

As a general note, just make sure you have a good attitude when you come for an interview. Last couple of years I've seen a marked rise in the number of graduates for whom simply getting out of bed to come for the interview appears to have been a chore.

Back
Top Bottom