friend etiquette helping a friend and freeloaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Hi slightly unusual situation i would appreciate advice on.

So i was a bit short financially the last couple of days. My flatmate said he would buy an extra watch from me. He has zero problems financially right now. So i spoke to him yestrrday and yeah he was fine he would buy the watch. I spoke to him again this morning and said i really did need the money today because i had no food in the house. My flatmate freaks out if i take any of his food..understandably so even though in the past it is just things like milk and biscuits.... Ive been bedridden with illness the past few days and he did buy me sogme bread yesterday. Anyway he left for work today (nightshift) before i could remind him and was away. So he has obviously forgotten about the money or deliberately avoided wanting to give me the money. Now i have no problem if he doesnt want the watch. Its the fact he knows how destitute i am at the moment and yet he didnt help me. (weve been friends for years)

Now i think he thinks i am freeloading off him (yes i pay rent) because i occasionally nab a biscuit or use his milk if i am out. I wouldnt normally do this because i know now that this upsets him. (If its my food i am happy for him to take something as long as its not the last of it)

My flatmate also has a bad habit of letting food go out of date then chucking it away. I. know thats none of my business but its odd that he freaks if i had taken one of his oranges....but hes happy for a whole bunch of them to go bad....so nobody can eat it.

Im tempted to have a confrontation about this OR just start plans for moving somewhere else because imo a friend doesnt treat another friend like this. Yes im well aware if he thinks im a freeloader then it isnt nice of a friend to do that either......what else should i do? Just not bother eating?

Soldato
OP
send me your sort code and account number and I will transfer £20 so you can get some food in.

serious offer

Thank you...its kind of you to offer. But for me its not about the money its about the possible fact that he decided to not give me the money for the watch when a) he knows im not working and had zero money for food.

Soldato
If he truly has no financial problems and could easily give, or lend, you some money to make sure you're fed and the like until you're back on the feet, then I would seriously re-evaluate this 'friendship'.

While of course a friendship isn't the aggregation of favours, it's about caring about another person, and if he chooses not to help out a friend in need, well, then he's not a friend. He's a flatmate, an acquaintance if that.

I'd make plans for moving out regardless of whether he turns around and buys this watch or not. He sounds like a horrible friend.

Soldato
Is he a friend who you've chosen to live with or a random guy that you live with? Maybe I am the odd one here but I would not even blink before lending my flatmate money / food etc....?

Soldato
msvq.jpg

Reality check

Are you married to this person?
Are you indebted with your life to this person?
Are you never going to leave your deathbed?

If the answer is no to all the above (I've never prayed to god before, but ya know)... Stop buying time pieces you have no use for and get the milk and biscuits in

Soldato
OP
Last year he let me stay at his flat for a month for free so i could do a course.
Before i went abroad.

i did sorta compensate him for this by giving him my ps3 an old but good 5.1 sound system and an oven/microwave worth £190

But im a freeloader? Maybe he thinks i think he is a soft touch and will say yes to whatever i ask re taking some of his food. It boggles my mind it would annoy him this much when he lets food go rotten all the time

Soldato
You stayed at his flat for free for a month? I expect he's about had enough and wants shot of you but doesn't have the balls to say it, and this is his way of dropping a hint?

If you can do a better job of managing the perishable goods in your kitchen... then go find your own kitchen to do it in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom