Whats your grip strength?

Thug
Soldato
I saw some very reasonably priced Captain of Crush grippers for sale, so on a whim I purchased them! (I'm sure they're a gimmick!)

Anyway, being a very scrawny person and having 6.5" wrists and 11" forearms, I was pleasantly surprised at my "supposed" grip strength.

Trainers (100lbs) were closed with absolutely no issue, as were the number 1 (140lbs) and I can close and hold the 1.5 (167.5lbs) for 10 seconds before having to let go (not on left hand though, they're slightly behind).

Looking to close the 2's by the end of the year (195lbs) maybe even the 2.5's (237lbs), though this could be a little ambitious. ^^

Anyone else got measurements of their grip strength?

Associate
People wince when I shake their hand. Does that count as good grip strength ?

Not one of those I'm trying to crush your hand on purpose and dominate you type people either.. Years of manual factory work growing up ... Platen machines and cardboard die-cut stripping ;)

Man of Honour
Grip strength != crushing strength.

Holding onto a heavy bar without straps, or pulling yourself up by your finger tips (rock climbing) is what I'd consider good grip strength. Being able to crush something whilst impressive, is not what I'd consider something worthwhile.

By all means train with them though, it's a good time killer, especially at your desk at work for example.

Associate
Do more strapless deadlifts, shrugs, dumb bell/bar bell row without straps to improve grip strength. Heavy lat pull can help aswell but ig does need to be heavy! Mark felix has incrdible grip strength, probably because hes the king of deadlift! ;)

Soldato
Grip strength != crushing strength.

Holding onto a heavy bar without straps, or pulling yourself up by your finger tips (rock climbing) is what I'd consider good grip strength. Being able to crush something whilst impressive, is not what I'd consider something worthwhile.

By all means train with them though, it's a good time killer, especially at your desk at work for example.

I do think they correlate though, the differences being peak force output versus force output over a sustained time (or endurance).

Do more strapless deadlifts, shrugs, dumb bell/bar bell row without straps to improve grip strength. Heavy lat pull can help aswell but ig does need to be heavy! Mark felix has incrdible grip strength, probably because hes the king of deadlift! ;)

Increasing the circumference of bars too I like benching with gloves on, it effectively increases the thickness of the bar by quite a bit and my forearms are often blasted after I've done quite a bit of bench press.

Soldato
Both crap!

Have the grippers up to 300lb, bought them when I was at uni. think the 250lb gives me some issues. Crush strength really doesn't translate.

Good for about 170/180KG DOH on a barbell, not bad for average Joe but not great amongst the lifting community!

Associate
Well I used a friends hand grippers not long ago, and could close the 300lb ones in either hand, wasn't too hard so I'm guessing my crushing strength is alright.

As for actually barbell grip, the most I've tried to hold in one hand was 100KG (when doing simulated trap bar deadlifts, one 100KG bar per hand) and it wasn't that bad, just started using slightly painful hook grip though. As for both hands together, they can hold 220KG with hook grip for around 10 seconds before the thumbs slip, painful though lol lol XD

Associate
Increasing the circumference of bars too I like benching with gloves on, it effectively increases the thickness of the bar by quite a bit and my forearms are often blasted after I've done quite a bit of bench press.

I achieve this with Fat Gripz, blue ones have a diameter of 2.25" I believe, and can humble you quickly, although if you want a thick bar they work. Sort of like an axle bar once on, try reverse curls with them lmao

Back
Top Bottom