New Audi Interior (NSFW!)

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Look no twiddly nobs!

That's all well and good, but say you want to turn your heated seat off whilst doing 80 on the motorway. In most cars you have muscle memory of where the control should be, so you poke around and find it and press the button. In that you have to take your eyes off the road and look for it, make sure you press it and not anything surrounding it that could change something else, then glance back at it to make sure you were successful.

Personally I like screens in cars (but can see why some don't), however touch screens are a very bad idea.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I think with the map taking up the entire screen this just looks a bit too busy. I'd much rather the map on a screen in the usual location, with a heads up display used for turn by turn directions.

The screen in the A7 concept looks a bit more like what BMW currently offer in the 5/7 series (Option code 6WB):

Soldato
For me, a digital dash should look like:

2012_lexus_lfa_instrument_hd_widescreen_wallpape.jpg

;)

Soldato
About time cars started using LCD Dashes. It allows for better flexibility and allows the driver to choose what they want to see.

Man of Honour
Not a fan of the Audi's dash but Tute's one is nice. However it just adds expense when it breaks or goes dim in the future.

Associate
Really dislike digital dash displays.

This may sounds odd, but I think physical/mechanical representation of physical/mechanical variables is just better :D Keeps the experience more 'real' rather than the feeling of being in a simulator.

Soldato
I've never understood the point in digital dashes that recreate analogue dials, it smacks of pandering to people who don't like change and a lack of creativity.

You wouldn't buy a digital watch that was just a small screen with a representation of an analogue watch face - if you wanted that style of face, a real dial is far more elegant, same thing here. Either craft a beautiful analogue dial or go digital and create something that is different, perhaps more instant and readable but also takes advantage of the format.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've never understood the point in digital dashes that recreate analogue dials, it smacks of pandering to people who don't like change and a lack of creativity.

Quite the opposite imo. It allows more change and creativity in terms of more flexibility and infinite configuration options.

The same screen could also be used in many models, but just configured differently through software. Users could instantly choose the cash colour they wanted, where they wanted the SatNav to be positioned (e.g. if there's a screen in the middle of the dash as well as the speedo console), different gauges and measurements depending on user preference...there are loads of possibilities.

Soldato
Quite the opposite imo. It allows more change and creativity in terms of more flexibility and infinite configuration options.

The same screen could also be used in many models, but just configured differently through software. Users could instantly choose the cash colour they wanted, where they wanted the SatNav to be positioned (e.g. if there's a screen in the middle of the dash as well as the speedo console), different gauges and measurements depending on user preference...there are loads of possibilities.

Not sure I was clear enough. My comment was specifically about graphics that recreate analogue dials. The ability to change configurations etc. is indeed great, and is the real beauty of having a digital dash. Like I said, it's all about taking advantage of the format in the right way.

Last edited:
Soldato
Doesn't have to be a dial though does it? Could be a horizontal sequence of graphic bars for instance, just because it's what we're used to, it doesn't make it the best representation. The S2000 rev display for example, it gives the feel of a dial without being a circle with a needle in the middle.

Last edited:
Soldato
Doesn't have to be a dial though does it? Could be a horizontal sequence of graphic bars for instance, just because it's what we're used to, it doesn't make it the best representation. The S2000 rev display for example, it gives the feel of a dial without being a circle with a needle in the middle.

Yeah and what do they use for speed? 1 bar is fine but the width required means you'd need small or parallel bars. Would be poor.... Unless of course you did smaller radial bars that sweep around... With maybe a needle in the middle. Oh wait.

Analogue needles are just as 'fake' anyway. It's not like cars have speedo cables anymore!

Soldato
I don't understand your point? The S2000 uses numbers to show speed and a graphic representation of rev change without it being a dial with a needle - do you class that system as a failure? I don't think anybody sitting in an S2000 feels like they aren't aware of how fast they are going or when to change gear, do they?

This is entirely my point, there are other ways of giving the driver all the information they need without defaulting to a direct digital representation of a decades old instrument. I'm not saying it doesn't work, and for many people I'm sure they would rather stick to what they know but there is always room for trying something new IMO.

Last edited:
Soldato
S2000 dash isn't really going to enable next gen infotainment is it, I should know, I put one in my DC2 Integra. The Ford Focus does a better job for driver information and assistance features and hence the next step has to be something like the Audi integration.

In terms of multiple feedback visualisation dials and needles win. That's my point.

Soldato
I think you're taking my example too literally, I'm not suggesting the s2000 dash is the future by any means :) just that it's ONE example of showing rev / speed without using a graphic representation of a dial.

I agree with you in that I haven't yet seen anything that is better than dials but I just don't believe there isn't a different and possibly improved way of integrating all driver information, given the advancement in technology. Just because nobody has done it yet, doesn't mean it can't be done :)

Back
Top Bottom