X-Wing

Soldato
I read the above thinking "pff Im sure there is something comparable to Corevettes on the Imp side."

After 10 mins of searching... words fail me.

Any idea whats in the Aces Expansion exactly Splodge? How many you getting?

I know. It's the Lambda Class Shuttle and then I think the next biggest canon (i.e. not expanded universe stuff) ship is the Victory Class Star Destroyer and that's not going to fit in a 3 x 3 play area!

As for Aces well FFG have a couple of blog posts http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4572 and I'm probably going to get two packs. I already have three squints so I'll end up with 7!

Yes they do.
Much better than Star Trek Attack Wing in all honesty.

Whilst it is cool to hate on WizzKids for the quality of the models (and some like the tiny Enterprise NCC-1701 aren't excusable) but they're mostly OK. A little wash applied and they can look good even.

However FFG have done such a stellar job on the X-Wing models that they make the Attack Wings ones look bad by comparison. Just have a look at the detail on the Falcon for example. Stunning and way above what they needed to do.

Soldato
I know. It's the Lambda Class Shuttle and then I think the next biggest canon (i.e. not expanded universe stuff) ship is the Victory Class Star Destroyer and that's not going to fit in a 3 x 3 play area!
Haha I thought it was the Victory Class Star Destroyer too! Great minds and all that...

As for Aces well FFG have a couple of blog posts http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4572 and I'm probably going to get two packs. I already have three squints so I'll end up with 7!
I think I have 4 Squints already in my collection. WIll probably get 2 or 3 of the Aces too.

Whilst it is cool to hate on WizzKids for the quality of the models (and some like the tiny Enterprise NCC-1701 aren't excusable) but they're mostly OK. A little wash applied and they can look good even.
Sorry let me clarify, I wasn't having a pop at WizzKids, just saying that the FF models are just so much superior in looks.

I have two Defiants from Attack Wing and the paint job on both are TOTALLY different. Its quite amazing to see such poor level of paint reproduction.

However FFG have done such a stellar job on the X-Wing models that they make the Attack Wings ones look bad by comparison. Just have a look at the detail on the Falcon for example. Stunning and way above what they needed to do.

+1

Soldato
Sorry let me clarify, I wasn't having a pop at WizzKids, just saying that the FF models are just so much superior in looks.

I have two Defiants from Attack Wing and the paint job on both are TOTALLY different. Its quite amazing to see such poor level of paint reproduction.

Oh WizzKids need to sort their production line out as the paint jobs are far too variable. I just don't like the way the whole thing has been blown out of proportion online.

As for Squints. Can never have too many of them, they scare the poor rebel players into spending too many points on Assault Missiles for the alpha strike. Suckers!

Associate
Ive just got into X-Wing and already getting a fair sized fleet but alas i have the same issues finding others who play it other than my old man when i see him.

Thoroughly enjoyed the 2 games ive had so far and spent a fair amount of time putting together some lists.

Not sure if you guys were already aware or not but theres a great tool for squad building here:

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build

You can also tell it what packs you have so it will grey out what you dont have.

Caporegime
Just had my first game, a good victory for the Empire. I found Tie Fighters to be a lot better than their point value suggested tbh, felt like their manoeuvrability was a greater advantage than the X-wings shields.

Soldato
Not sure if you guys were already aware or not but theres a great tool for squad building here:

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build

You can also tell it what packs you have so it will grey out what you dont have.

That's a good generator. There's also this: http://fabpsb.free.fr - I like using the random list generator as it focuses on the skill of flying the list rather than going for the current meta.

Just had my first game, a good victory for the Empire. I found Tie Fighters to be a lot better than their point value suggested tbh, felt like their manoeuvrability was a greater advantage than the X-wings shields.

Ties are great but they need to hunt in a wolf pack to work. On their own they're glass cannons and the two attack dice can be an issue at range. Taking Howlrunner with your swarm helps (and scares the enemy)

Tie Interceptors (aka Squints) are much better on the offence and can turn on a dime. Shame they're pricy point wise.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, Howlrunner is pretty much a no-brainer if you're going to take a TIE swarm. I tend to hang her back a little from the other TIEs so that she doesn't get caught at range 1.

Soldato
Yeah, Howlrunner is pretty much a no-brainer if you're going to take a TIE swarm. I tend to hang her back a little from the other TIEs so that she doesn't get caught at range 1.

Put a Stealth Device on her and get her out there. :D

Actually a swarm + Howl and Vader + Engine Upgrade is great fun. Position them at opposite ends of the deployment area. If the enemy focuses on the swarm (because they fear Howl) you use Vader engine upgrade to boost his 5 movement and then get behind the rebels whilst the swarm harasses them from the front. If they do it the other way then you bring the swarm in from the rear. If they split then the swarm goes after the weakest and Vader boosts out of the firing arc of the others.

Caporegime
Played it recently and was a bit meh. As a veteran of war hammer stuff as a kid this in comparison seemed lame/tame

The ships were very pretty and delicate which was nice :p

The cost of this stuff in northern Sweden is astronomical many an eyebrow was raised as the guy explained it all to me.

Associate
I love x-wing minatures. I did see the upcoming tantive a while ago look nice :) Maybe in a year or two we will see a craack light cruiser or a star destroyer lol.

My partner keeps buying me the stuff but always seem sot lose and gets annoyed lol. Im usually empire.

Associate
Yeah ive been playing the vassal version. Took a little while to get into it having not used vassal before but pretty much sorted now.

Back
Top Bottom