XCOM: Enemy Within

Associate
Choose the Flamethrower over the Kinetic Strike which was another big mistake as not only is the Flamethrower useless against robotic enemies, it comes with a movement penalty.

When you are being chased down by chrysalids the flamethrower is very handy, also good against exalt

Soldato
When you are being chased down by chrysalids the flamethrower is very handy, also good against exalt

Was going to say exactly this....get surrounded by 3 Chrysalids, then laugh maniacally as you hit all of them with your flamethrower, and two die and the other panics:D

Caporegime
Flamethrowers did help massively on Exalt missions.

I wish I had a MEC with flamethrower capability on the mission where Chrysalids endlessly spawn in the boat as well. My MEC was a Kinetic puncher and though he did get away, I lost my best sniper :(

Soldato
Thanks, I hadn't considered it being effective against EXALT forces.

I think it was my first downed UFO mission with the MEC where I ran right into the Sectiod MEC and found the flamethrower didn't even singe the paintwork.

My squad survived the Fishing Village recon mission thanks to the MEC grenade launcher upgrade...

Soldato
This looks absolutely amazing:

http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/...com/ajax/moddescription/?id=88&preview=&pUp=1

Downloading now :)

Some of the changes:

Some of the changes in this mod include:
An extended campaign requiring far more missions to complete
Tactical missions that allow up to twelve XCom soldiers per mission with the right upgrades
Eight soldier classes: Infantry, Assault, Sniper, Scout, Gunner, Rocketeer, Medic and Engineer, and eight MEC classes: Valkyrie, Marauder, Jaeger, Pathfinder, Goliath, Archer, Guardian and Saburai
New and modified perks, including Ranger, Sapper, HEAT Warheads, Lock N' Load and Javelin Rockets
New and modified technologies, including Xenopsionics, Alien Biocybernetics, Pulse Lasers, Gauss Weapons and Advanced Aerospace Concepts, and many new foundry projects
Five tiers of XCOM weaponry, many new armors and small items and S.H.I.V.s that can be equipped with perk-granting small items!
Much earlier access to psionics and vastly expanded psionics tree
A system of commissioning and promoting XCOM officers who provide bonuses to your entire squad during missions (replaces the Enemy Within medals system)
Overhauled interception game, with five new UFO classes such as the Fighter, Raider and Harvester, as well as six interceptors per continent, foundry projects to upgrade your aircraft, individualized pilot names and pilot experience, and the Stingray Missile weapon system
Overhauled strategy game, in which the aliens gather resources and conduct research -- efforts XCOM must interdict if it hopes to save humanity. XCOM can now retake countries by finding and conquering alien bases in those countries. Help council countries defend themselves by fulfilling their requests for alien technology!
Aliens and EXALT forces grow tougher over time, gaining stats and perks
New weapons for XCOM soldiers
Soldiers rest after each mission, requiring the player to build a much deeper roster of soldiers
Modified Second Wave options to support longer campaigns

Associate
Just started playing this again on a fresh save. Immediately confronted by the entirely deficient camera and I'm wondering if there are any up to date mods which fix it since toolboks seems to be out of date now. Mainly I want to stop the stupid, STUPID character snapping, the forced cutscenes when you discover aliens and other cutscenes of that ilk. Being able to zoom out further would be great too.

Gti

Gti

Associate
What stopped me getting this before is hearing that the enemies don't move until they see you... One of the great parts of the old game was scouring the map completely, then realising an alien must have sneaked behind your team.

I was hoping this would be fixed or modded by now, does anyone know?

Soldato
Just started playing this again on a fresh save. Immediately confronted by the entirely deficient camera and I'm wondering if there are any up to date mods which fix it since toolboks seems to be out of date now. Mainly I want to stop the stupid, STUPID character snapping, the forced cutscenes when you discover aliens and other cutscenes of that ilk. Being able to zoom out further would be great too.

Pretty sure in the "Gameplay" tab of the options menu there is a checkbox for "Enable Action Cam" and "Enable 3rd person cutscenes" or something like that...

I play with them turned off because it speeds up the combat a bit and is distracting especially once you've seen the animations a lot of times

Soldato
That mod looks interesting

Been playing it for a good while now, it totally changes the game. The larger squad sizes and different classes are great, research is agonisingly slow, but so is enemy progression. Rather than being a quick first step, getting laser weapons feels like a major breakthrough. Squad fatigue and injury times mean you need a roster of at least 30 soldiers.

The first few terror missions were bloodbaths - snatch the few closet civilians and then a running retreat to the skyranger.

The only part I'm not sold on is the air war, so far it's almost impossible to keep my satellites defended, and that's with a fleet of 6 interceptors on each continent. I have a feeling the idea is that you'll get pummelled initially and gradually claw your way back.

Soldato
What stopped me getting this before is hearing that the enemies don't move until they see you... One of the great parts of the old game was scouring the map completely, then realising an alien must have sneaked behind your team.

I was hoping this would be fixed or modded by now, does anyone know?

They do move outside of your line of sight, but are not that smart and you will vary rarely- if ever, get flanked and hit from behind.
Also don't go into this thinking it has anything like the depth of resource management or battlefield tactics that the original had, because it isn't even close.

It's a fun game however.

Associate
Pretty sure in the "Gameplay" tab of the options menu there is a checkbox for "Enable Action Cam" and "Enable 3rd person cutscenes" or something like that...

I play with them turned off because it speeds up the combat a bit and is distracting especially once you've seen the animations a lot of times

Yeah unfortunately I've already got those turned off and it still doesn't fix the main camera problems :(

Gti

Gti

Associate
They do move outside of your line of sight, but are not that smart and you will vary rarely- if ever, get flanked and hit from behind.
Also don't go into this thinking it has anything like the depth of resource management or battlefield tactics that the original had, because it isn't even close.

It's a fun game however.

Yeah that's why I've hesitated, even for a sale price I don't think I could bear to see how they gutted the great elements.
I may play the original with the extended mod to tide me over.

Soldato
Yeah that's why I've hesitated, even for a sale price I don't think I could bear to see how they gutted the great elements.
I may play the original with the extended mod to tide me over.
I found that aspect a little annoying myself - but I must stress that even taking that into account the game is still very good & expands upon many other areas.

Back
Top Bottom