Chance to work in IT need help

Associate
I might have the chance to move in to the IT sector, it's something I've always wanted to do as I've always had a passion for it and a company my mate works for is expanding.

He's told me I need to have a good knowledge of desktop troubleshooting and basic network and email protocols. Having a google around and I'm not sure what I should be reading.

Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Thanks

Man of Honour
The MCSE/MCSA, etc. courses MS do cover a lot of that and most of the course information can be found online to give you some idea of the topics, etc. to cover.

Associate
The MCSE/MCSA, etc. courses MS do cover a lot of that and most of the course information can be found online to give you some idea of the topics, etc. to cover.

might be a bit ott imo.

I'd look for the most common office problems and their fixes for all *recent* versions of office 03, 07, 10 & 13.

I'd also read up on pop, imap and exchange email but don't get bogged down on server admin or config, by the sounds of it you'll be expected to sort the user end, not the server side so knowing what the basic issues a user might experience are will be a massive help.

I'd also have a butchers at some basic networking, what dhcp, dns and AD is. again, don't bother with how to admin or config them, just know what they are and what they mean to the user.

You'd then be able to id a dhcp issue and report it to your manager who can then look into the server side if required.

hope that helps and good luck !!

:)

Soldato
My experience is that they (as stated) are looking for (as well as technical skills) troubleshooting skills. In many interviews I have been given a scenario such as:

User calls in and says they are not receiving email. What do you do?

You are expected to demonstrate that you can ask the correct questions to get to the crux of the problem in a timely fashion. Usually an answer of "Is it just you experiencing this problem? Can you ask anyone around you if they are receiving email? When was the last time you received an email?".

These aren't technical skills obviously and I am not sure where you would learn them bar on the job but just my 2p and something to think about.

Soldato
User interaction and customer service skills are important when you first start out. First/second line interviews generally evolve around your experiences and knowledge. It helps to have some good story's about when you came to the rescue of a client and going above and beyond your job to help them. Stuff like that.

Have a good look at the job spec, Google all the stuff you dont know (or post on OcUK :D). Try and have a technical conversation with the interviewer about things included in the job spec if possible.

Soldato
Might be worth looking at the CompTIA A+ and Network+ syllabuses, even if you don't do the exams.

+1. This should cover most of what you need to know as far as job spec goes.
I passed my A+ some years ago now - very worthwhile I felt.

Mark

Soldato
What you're asked to do is something, if you not all that clued up on, is easy to pick up.

When I first started in an I.T role when I was 18, I did have some (albeit little) knowledge on server and networking, but was very easy to pick up when pointed in the right direction, soon enough, i was allocating static IP's to new machines, "mstsc" (remote desktop) to local servers and allocating new machines to its correct location on the server for it to deploy software to it.

Most email servers (I've found) is usually exchange, simple enough to set up.

most hardware/software related things is normally setting up a new machine, or changing the RAM.

And desktop support, I usually find is client rings up, "Oh noes i've lost my icon for IE..HELP!!!", remote to the client, create a shortcut, job done.

its very easy when you get in to it.

My interview consisted of, "how do you format an Hard Drive and reinstall Windows" and something along them lines.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you're going for a 1st line support role which it sounds like you are then you almost need to emphasise your customer service skills over technical ones - the most important skills you can show are that you can communicate with end users successfully to get a decent amount of information out of them and keep them informed, and can translate "reboot your PC" into the steps they need to take to do this. The technical stuff you can pick up quickly while you're on the job, but the soft skills generally can't.

Soldato
If you're going for a 1st line support role which it sounds like you are then you almost need to emphasise your customer service skills over technical ones - the most important skills you can show are that you can communicate with end users successfully to get a decent amount of information out of them and keep them informed, and can translate "reboot your PC" into the steps they need to take to do this. The technical stuff you can pick up quickly while you're on the job, but the soft skills generally can't.

+1, good points.

You need to be a very calm person, and able to work under stress sometimes - as the end user just want it to work, and so are sometimes a bit irritable, and therefore you need the ability to sort the problem out quickly and efficiently and at the same time re assure your client that everything is under control. Person skills, and communication skills are a must have for a role such as this.

Mark

Permabanned
1st line + 2nd line support isn't always hunted for technical skills but for customer service skills as already mentioned. Technical can be picked up on the way.

I communicate with different people all the time and customer skills is extremely important.

Back
Top Bottom