Why do fat people join the gym in january?

Associate
I'm a fattty trying to lose weight....

I do 20mins of weights using the machine weights. Generally do 5 reps at a time at pretty much the max I can do.

Do upper arms, shoulders, chest, belly and sometimes legs.

Then I generally go on a treadmill for 30-40mins usually at a pace of 6km/ph but with a incline of 10-12%.

I do this around 3-4 times a week and I've changed my diet. More chicken, no fries, no chips, no battered chicken etc... eating fresh fish/plain chicken fillets and steamed veg most days.
The biggest improvement is going from 24 cans of Cherry Coke a week to 24 bottles of water a week - 4 calories per bottle of water!

I assume this is a good method - my body has very little muscle, but i know just cardio will burn muscle, hence doing weights for 20mins at the start of my cardio runs.

Building up muscle and removing fat should be working doing this, right????

EDIT - Just for reference.

Out of interest which scales were those you used? I only ask as the InBody R20 ones I use to weigh people where I work (I'm part of ouyr healthead team) state normal bodyfat levels for a man are 10% - 20%. Interesting that the scales / machine you used states the range to be 4.5% higher. I'm still going to aim for 8% this year though :D

Most body fat can be lost by simply changing diet and how much you eat. Exercise compliments this and will speed the process up a little, as well as making you an overall healthier person. High protein / low carb diet as mentioned would be what I'd look at. If you can eat the bulk of your carbs early morning / lunch time then have a high protein meal in the evening.

Associate
Also...

Originally Posted by mcast

Ever single year the gym is full of new fatties in January and they're all gone by February. Waiting for a running machine and for them to figure out how to press the GO button is annoying when you don't have much time.

Do they think because it's a new year suddenly their life will change?

And posted last January!

Originally Posted by mcast
Male/39/12 stone(ish)/5'8

I haven't been to the gym in a year and I'm disgusted at my spare tyre.

I'm not sure if this is the best routine, but what I used to do was 4 days at the gym, 30m stepper followed by weights e.g. 7x 8-10 reps chest (press/flys), then arms/back/legs the other 3 days.

I'm in no way trying to get big, just build a bit of muscle back up and lose some fat.

I realise diet is important and I think I can sort that out. I'm just unsure about what I should be doing at the gym.

Any tips appreciated.

And posted last January!

Haha, the 'fatty' hasn't much to say now he's been rumbled as one he now hates so dearly...

Soldato
There is a local inde gym near me that you can use without being a member. It's something like £3.50 a session last time I went. It's just full of body builder types most of the time. Very off putting.

The biggest guys I know are some of the most nicest guys I have met in the gym, if you go in and are there to train, you'll find a lot of them I bet are more helpful than most in the gym.

Caporegime
People feel they should do it rather than want to do it.

People also forget the health and fitness is a lifestyle choice not just something you do a for an hour or two a few times of week. Food, sleep, exercise, etc... it's a big all encompassing thing.

They don't last because they don't really want to be there.

It's like giving up smoking, you do it because you WANT to not because you should, if you don't want to you'll never do it.

I'm all for helping those that join, provided they seek help, don't do stupid things, and stick at it and overhaul their lifestyle, not just add the gym to it, and stand on a treadmill for 45 mins.

Most likely people start off thinking they should. Most likely people don't immediately enjoy it.

But that's not to say that, over time, they might not start enjoying it, and start making other changes like you've suggested.

I don't think we should judge anyone's motivations. If they are making an effort, good on them.

Permabanned
All i can say is:
**** you haters.

Leave fat people alone. At least ones that want to change. I achived 3 out of 3 new year resolutions in 2013.
1. Quit drinking all together. Not even a beer since 1st jan 2013. I just smoke weed now.
2. Get fit well proud of this one i lost almost 5 stone in 4 months. Now i got best condition out of all people i know!!!
3. Save up and pay off my dc2. Done !

Its all about keeping it going for whole year.

Soldato
I don't care about the large people - it's the self-entitled muscle-heads who think it's their gym, and their machines and whom look at you with contempt and ridicule simply because you're not jacked up.

It's why I prefer to exercise at home. Not only does it cost a lot less, but the only **** you have to deal with is yourself. :p And if you desire some outdoor activity - walking isn't as lame as it sounds, then there's cycling, jogging, running - all sorts. Hell, you can even run around in the house, haha.

And as for motivation - people fail to realise that all parts of your life are connected; eating, sleeping, exercise, mental stimulation - while changing one will have an impact on the others, you're not going to see instant results (which is what most people want). And then it's the reasoning behind it, do you want to live a healthier, happier life, do you just want to look 'buff', do you want to be stronger physically and mentally? All of them?

Oh and add into the fact that a lot of people just think "gym = fit", do some sort of shoddy malaise of exercise, injure themselves and think "**** this".

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't care about the large people - it's the self-entitled muscle-heads who think it's their gym, and their machines and whom look at you with contempt and ridicule simply because you're not jacked up.

It's why I prefer to exercise at home. Not only does it cost a lot less, but the only **** you have to deal with is yourself. :p And if you desire some outdoor activity - walking isn't as lame as it sounds, then there's cycling, jogging, running - all sorts. Hell, you can even run around in the house, haha.

And as for motivation - people fail to realise that all parts of your life are connected; eating, sleeping, exercise, mental stimulation - while changing one will have an impact on the others, you're not going to see instant results (which is what most people want). And then it's the reasoning behind it, do you want to live a healthier, happier life, do you just want to look 'buff', do you want to be stronger physically and mentally? All of them?

Oh and add into the fact that a lot of people just think "gym = fit", do some sort of shoddy malaise of exercise, injure themselves and think "**** this".

I gave up going to our gym for a few reasons, but mostly because of other people being there, quite frankly.

1. A trio of lads who just sat next to each other on stationary bikes, cycling (hard, I might add... they were indeed working out well on them) and laughing at other people coming off machines with wobbly legs, etc.

2. Another trio who would appear and just lounge/muck around with the resistance machines. For example standing up at the chest press, sticking it as high a weight as they could and then powering forward on a lean with full body, legs etc. yelling "HUURURRRRHHHGHGHGHH!" while their mates congratulated them. It's not pulling a truck, folks. Other people are there to use the machines properly. Bugger off.

3. Some chick whose sole purpose for being there every day appeared to be to run for 20 minutes and then walk around in circuits quite literally smirking at anyone else who wasn't a hardbody.

It annoyed me to a severe extent, as you would indeed occasionally see the odd very fat person coming in and putting their all into what they were doing, only to have these idiots openly mocking them, verbally or otherwise. Just one big cluster of bad attitudes. Things downstairs in the weights area with the lifters were much more accommodating, but still.

Invested in some free weights, bike and treadmill for home. Now I'm mainly doing weight training and intervals/circuits five days a week in the living room instead. Far better... apart from having to leave the doors open for a few minutes in all kinds of weather to keep the place from stinking of sweat. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Love how the op has gone quiet after being found out to not only be a douchebag from the first but a hypocritical douchebag at that.

While im not happy to admit it i am a mega fatty and im just now starting to do something about it again after ignoring it for 8 years. I will openly admit elitest ****** at the gym are one of the reasons im aprehensive of rejoining a gym at least before when i went i had 2 friends with me who were regulars and well into their fitness, they were my buffer, my motivators and my trainers but life turned bad and things changed :(

Soldato
Love how the op has gone quiet after being found out to not only be a douchebag from the first but a hypocritical douchebag at that.

While im not happy to admit it i am a mega fatty and im just now starting to do something about it again after ignoring it for 8 years. I will openly admit elitest ****** at the gym are one of the reasons im aprehensive of rejoining a gym at least before when i went i had 2 friends with me who were regulars and well into their fitness, they were my buffer, my motivators and my trainers but life turned bad and things changed :(

I hadn't been in the gym for 10 years or so, used to go with a good friend often around 20 but since Sept 2013 i saw some good deals on my local gym so thought why not try it out.

Been training 3-4 days a week since at 6.30am each time, eating pretty good, lost a good amount of fat, weight has stayed around the same and gained some muscle.I train on my own now, doesn't bother me at all when i see a lot of new people like myself and the big bulky guys who train hard looking intimidating do not bother me either.(i know about 5 or so now in my gym who look very off putting but actually turned out to be friendly nice helpful people)

I am still learning various weights exercises but then again it's not a race, you compare yourself with yourself and just go with it not caring what others think.

Soldato
I'm surprised to hear of anyone being mocked in a gym, I've only been a member of two but both were exactly the same - the only words ever exchanged are "is anyone using this".

Soldato
I hadn't been in the gym for 10 years or so, used to go with a good friend often around 20 but since Sept 2013 i saw some good deals on my local gym so thought why not try it out.

Been training 3-4 days a week since at 6.30am each time, eating pretty good, lost a good amount of fat, weight has stayed around the same and gained some muscle.I train on my own now, doesn't bother me at all when i see a lot of new people like myself and the big bulky guys who train hard looking intimidating do not bother me either.(i know about 5 or so now in my gym who look very off putting but actually turned out to be friendly nice helpful people)

I am still learning various weights exercises but then again it's not a race, you compare yourself with yourself and just go with it not caring what others think.

I've found this to be true in every Gym I've ever been a member of. Just because they are huge and you might feel intimidated, it is often a baseless assumption. Nearly all of the time the big lads are sound in my experience. That said there are always a few idiots in every walk of life, big or small.

Nate

Back
Top Bottom