Landscape, Overlooking Ladybower reservoir

Soldato
As so many (including me) have said that individual thread for image feedback should prompt more activity and discussion in this forum I thought I should lead the way

I took this shot during a walk on Sunday afternoon the sun was low and the colours really cam to life which only emphasised the blue sky.

The Peak District above Ladybower by a1ex2001, on Flickr

Let me know what you think, be honest but try and say at least one thing nice to balance the crit!

Soldato
I read on another forum that a way to improve my photography was to critique other peoples.
Hopefully my critique will get its own critique.

Anyhow here goes.

I'm not overly keen I'm afraid

The first thing I noticed was the sloping post. This could be removed
The second thing I noticed was the big empty blue part of the sky, Maybe a tighter crop needed.

When I clicked on your FlickR. there was a little preview window on the RHS which was cropped but looked much better.
Maybe crop the sky to about where the blue meets the clouds on the left and crop to the bottom of the post.
Making the post prominent. Although still sloping it looks better.

Hope that helps

Disclaimer: You can of course ignore all that as I'm still a very beginner...lol

Soldato
OP
All comments greatly received!

The post was intentional and that is pretty much the angle it actually stands at, I thought it would be a marmite element as some people will like it and others won't.

I do have a much tighter shot with the post even more prominent that I might process and post for comparison.

Soldato
I like the shot Alex and I know Lady Bower very well, its a stunning place to visit and I can't get enough of it. I'm only 45 mins away as well!

I'd like to see a bigger size as at the size that's here and on your Flickr I can't really grasp the impact of where you are stood.

Soldato
OP
I like the shot Alex and I know Lady Bower very well, its a stunning place to visit and I can't get enough of it. I'm only 45 mins away as well!

I'd like to see a bigger size as at the size that's here and on your Flickr I can't really grasp the impact of where you are stood.

I live on the peak district side of Sheffield so Ladybower is only 30 minutes or so in the car, the Peak District is full of amazing places for photography I just wish I had more time!

The spot I've marked for the photo on my flickr map is pretty much bang on where I took it! I do know what you mean about the impact though I love shooting landscape shots in a portrait orientation (my flickr might be a giveaway!) but on a conventional screen they are always a little small.

Associate
The angle requires some work, but that comes with confidence and familiarity of the location. Technically, exposure is good and image is sharp from foreground to infinity. Possibly requires a ND filter or a polariser to add extra 'pop' to the colours, but since the exposure is good, it can be boosted within an editing package (or on camera). It is a good start and certainly requires revisiting, even to take a few shots at different angles - try sign post further right or standing out above horizon, getting closer to the stone in front or tilting the camera so you have 2/3rds ground and 1/3rd cloud/sky. Still a good picture - keep it up!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The angle requires some work, but that comes with confidence and familiarity of the location. Technically, exposure is good and image is sharp from foreground to infinity. Possibly requires a ND filter or a polariser to add extra 'pop' to the colours, but since the exposure is good, it can be boosted within an editing package (or on camera). It is a good start and certainly requires revisiting, even to take a few shots at different angles - try sign post further right or standing out above horizon, getting closer to the stone in front or tilting the camera so you have 2/3rds ground and 1/3rd cloud/sky. Still a good picture - keep it up!

I've been without a circular polariser since upgrading my walk about lens just before Christmas and it is certainly on my must purchase list as I definitely miss it and know that the sky would have been improved with one!

I did take a few different shots but this was my favorite which is why I posted it up, I might pop some others up alter for comparison.

Soldato
I live on the peak district side of Sheffield so Ladybower is only 30 minutes or so in the car, the Peak District is full of amazing places for photography I just wish I had more time!

I'm not too far away in Worksop and have been to the Peak District a lot, my favourite place being Padley Gorge on the Longshaw Estate.

Man of Honour
Nice picture. I would love to photograph the peak and lake districts sometime.

Hope you don't mind a beginner having a go. The sign is rather distracting and it gets in the way of the lake below. My thoughts only, could the actually body of the sign be in the bottom right point?

Associate
I live in Sheffield so know that area well. I like the sign being in the photo as an initial focal point. It draws you into the photo before you take in the rest of the view.

Soldato
OP
I'm not too far away in Worksop and have been to the Peak District a lot, my favourite place being Padley Gorge on the Longshaw Estate.

I love Padley we had some photos shot their on our wedding day and they are definitely our favorites.

Nice picture. I would love to photograph the peak and lake districts sometime.

Hope you don't mind a beginner having a go. The sign is rather distracting and it gets in the way of the lake below. My thoughts only, could the actually body of the sign be in the bottom right point?

All comments welcome Huddy I'm a big believer in people saying what they think about pictures as thinking critically about what others have done will inevitably improve how you think about your own stuff and as long as your opinion is expressed in a balanced manner people shouldn't get upset! I'm a sucker for signs in photos I really wanted a composition where the sign was against the sky but to get the angle I had to loose the reservoir which was took away from the composition for me.

Last edited:
Associate
Small bit of very personal critic:
As a photo it lacks a focal point or anything to draw my into and around the frame. The reservoir and sign are competing in the centre of the frame. While the path bottom left doesn't lead anywhere.

I've taken that exact same photo before so I know the area :)

Next time your up turn right and walk along the edge for a few kilometres. There are all sorts of interesting rocks and edges to use - the Salt Cellar is a good one.

For an alternative view of Ladybower walk up to the far end of Bamford Edge. Some good views there (check some climbing websites for pictures of "Gargoyle Flake, Bamford" for an idea)

Soldato
OP
Small bit of very personal critic:
As a photo it lacks a focal point or anything to draw my into and around the frame. The reservoir and sign are competing in the centre of the frame. While the path bottom left doesn't lead anywhere.

I've taken that exact same photo before so I know the area :)

Next time your up turn right and walk along the edge for a few kilometres. There are all sorts of interesting rocks and edges to use - the Salt Cellar is a good one.

For an alternative view of Ladybower walk up to the far end of Bamford Edge. Some good views there (check some climbing websites for pictures of "Gargoyle Flake, Bamford" for an idea)

Thanks for the advice, location pointers are always appreciated as the countryside is so vast hunting for the best spots can take a while!

Associate
For an idea of locations to shoot have a look at an OS map (bing maps have them for free online - look under the "Road" dropdown). View points are marked and you can see where the high points are - either to photograph or photograph from.

Mam Tor near Castleton is a good one - that whole ridge line has some good views (away from the cement works...)

Other source is climbing guide books - by their very nature crags are exposed so you'll (usually) have a clear viewpoint out over whatever valley or river is near.

Places like Chee Dale and along the top of Stanage provide some nice view points.

Another option is to walk around the park of Chatsworth House, £3 parking all day (I think) and you can photograph deer and the outside of the house. Couple of water falls and dams for some slowmo stuff. Nice enough day out for the Mrs if she wants to sit there with a picnic blanket. Same with Padley Gorge and Surprise View

And at the end of the day it'll get you out the house so even if you don't get any nice pictures, you'll have a nice day out!

The contrasts in the Peak from the Northern Dark peak to the southern White Peak give lots of options!

Soldato
I hope you don't mind but I did a quick screengrab to roughly highlight what I meant

Although you prefer your Portrait compositions.

P.s
If I've been naughty let me know and I'll remove the shot

Thanks

Soldato
OP
I hope you don't mind but I did a quick screengrab to roughly highlight what I meant

Although you prefer your Portrait compositions.

P.s
If I've been naughty let me know and I'll remove the shot

Thanks

Not at all I really like that and I'm not precious enough to get upset with someone for showing me something interesting!

Oddly this was pretty much the first shot I took but I didn't really like it!

Last edited:
Soldato
^^
Art.. Its all subjective.

Kudos to you for trying something different though.

I just think there is "Nothing" jumping out on the original shot. No Focal point.

Caporegime
I don't like taco,potion of the photo in the OP. The sky and land are put of balance, there is a disproportionate amount of blu sky and the horizon line is slap bang in the middle which only work for certain shots (emphasizing symmetry and reflection for example).

Secondly I am not rally sure what the main subject is, In part because of the composition. The cloud seems as important as the landscape, and the only thing that really stands out is the sign post, which is crooked which feels uncomfortable.
It is hard to navigation the photo, there aren't any strong guiding lines or shapes that draws attention and guides the viewer.

I much prefer the landscape orientation photos. Stronger subject, much better composition, clearer details, more striking sky, better balance. The reservoir is a ice focal point and there are lots of leading lines. All the walls and even the trees guide the viewer to the lake. But I don't like the sign at all really and unfortunately the lake is underthings clouds with less interesting lighting.

This obviously sounds very negative. Please don't take it that way, I am giving critique as if I was critiquing my own work. I notice a fe of us have posted similar comments so it is probably something to think about.

In landscape work compositions can be very challenging. You need strong subject, good leading lines, paths or shapes that guide viewers from foreground to background, and details of interest. Most of the time you really have to choose between the sky or The landscape As a subject, it is very hard to have them both and a 50-50 split along a horizon rarely works (but there are exceptions).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I don't like taco,potion of the photo in the OP. The sky and land are put of balance, there is a disproportionate amount of blu sky and the horizon line is slap bang in the middle which only work for certain shots (emphasizing symmetry and reflection for example).

Secondly I am not rally sure what the main subject is, In part because of the composition. The cloud seems as important as the landscape, and the only thing that really stands out is the sign post, which is crooked which feels uncomfortable.
It is hard to navigation the photo, there aren't any strong guiding lines or shapes that draws attention and guides the viewer.

I much prefer the landscape orientation photos. Stronger subject, much better composition, clearer details, more striking sky, better balance. The reservoir is a ice focal point and there are lots of leading lines. All the walls and even the trees guide the viewer to the lake. But I don't like the sign at all really and unfortunately the lake is underthings clouds with less interesting lighting.

This obviously sounds very negative. Please don't take it that way, I am giving critique as if I was critiquing my own work. I notice a fe of us have posted similar comments so it is probably something to think about.

In landscape work compositions can be very challenging. You need strong subject, good leading lines, paths or shapes that guide viewers from foreground to background, and details of interest. Most of the time you really have to choose between the sky or The landscape As a subject, it is very hard to have them both and a 50-50 split along a horizon rarely works (but there are exceptions).

Looks like my favourite shot of the day is a bit of a bust with the good people of OCUK :) Which I guess is good and bad, I'm not about to loose my love of portrait landscapes but you've all given me something to think about for next time I've got the camera in hand.

DP I'd much rather honesty, for me the key with critique is to say at least something positive in amongst the negative which you managed. There is something good that can be pulled out of almost any picture. It's fine to be negative but balance is essential and as long as you don't just put 'crap picture' i won't be offended.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I love portrait orientations of landscapes, but the subject has to be right- some thing tall or long is good starting point. This scene could actually work as a portrait, but not with the sky at 50% for me.

Maybe it would be useful to explain to use why you like it, how you perceive the composition and how you imagine viewer's eyes navigate across the photo.

Back
Top Bottom