Mum and Dad - First Time Online

Associate
My Mum and Dad have decided to “get online” after years of safely ignoring it and have turned to me for advice.

Anyway, they decided on a BT (non Infinity) package which seems fine to me and they ordered it.

According to my Dad they are being sent a HomeHub4 but nothing else. As far as I thought the HH4 doesn’t have a DSL modem built in does it ?

An “engineer” is not coming with any separate modem (like they do for Infinity) so I’m a bit concerned that they won’t have everything they need.

Maybe the HH4 does have integrated DSL modem but can anyone confirm that ?

I am sure they will also need a DSL filter but I probably have one of them laying around somewhere if its not in the HH4 box.

Perhaps I am worrying over nothing but would appreciate it if anyone can confirm if BT should be sending anything more than the HH4.

Thanks

Soldato
Well it comes with an RJ11 modem connection and had ADSL and VDSL modems built in according to Wikipedia.

HH4 only has the ADSL modem built in (like the other HHs before it). HH5 is the one with the VDSL modem.

To OP, that means all your parents need to do is to add a filter to all the phone sockets around the house, and connect the HH4 to the master socket for the best speed/stability. Then the next step is what devices will they be connecting to it and how? Will the PCs be done via wired or wireless? Do they use smartphones/tablets? Any other device? I usually find this to be the tricky step for older people.

Associate
OP
Thanks for confirming the HH4 does contain a ADSL modem.

Mum and Dad will have a single laptop connected wirelessly and I doubt anything else ever. Maybe a printer one day. I should be able to manage getting these connected for them if they hit any trouble.

Soldato
yes the seperate modem you are thinking of is for BT Infinity (VDSL HH4 & below) not BT Broadband (ADSL) which is what your parents are having.

HH4 has ADSL built in so you just use the broadband cable from your wall socket to the ADSL in on the HH4. As above remember to fit filters to all phone sockets that have a phone plugged in.

Back
Top Bottom