Windows 9 set for release next year

Man of Honour
The last thing we need is another half baked version. An alpha or beta version by October would be ambitious, let alone RTM.

No thanks, it can stay in the oven.

Win 8 developer preview September @ build 2011
Win 8 public preview Jan
Win 8 RTM august

Win7 was similar, so not sure why you think it would be ambitious in the slightest. Seeing as win9 would be released in 2015 on thier normal timeframe.

Which would mean if April 2015 release, developer preview in April (which would coincide with build 2014, which is where we already know they're going to show off win9, then public preview in august 2014). So an April release would fit with everything that has been said so far.

Last edited:
Soldato
Put me in the '8.1 is alright I guess' group. It's no real improvement over Windows 7 but it does the job. There are a few features I like over Windows 7 though - IE the new file transfer window and detailed task manager. That mixed with the faster startup time and the Skydrive synced settings I'm happy enough.

Roll on Windows 9, it'll likely bring back the 'start' menu like Windows 8.2 is supposed to. MS clearly wanted a unified experience between Phone, Tablet and PC but the percentage of people who actually use all three must be tiny. Hence the amount of people complaining. 8.1 is a step back from that but in the right direction.

Soldato
a few interesting screenshots posted the last few days about 8.1 update 1.

pinning and switching modern apps on the taskbar:

1_20140123_164949_173.jpg

power button and mouse context menus on the start screen:

windows-8.1-update-1-leaks-140125-02.jpg

Man of Honour
All those are good sensible moves, especially the power button placement, the amount of people with that issue.

Not so sure on the taskbar usefulness, but I can't see it getting in the way/subtracting any way.

Soldato
Which would mean if April 2015 release, developer preview in April (which would coincide with build 2014, which is where we already know they're going to show off win9, then public preview in august 2014). So an April release would fit with everything that has been said so far.

But that's the thing; I don't think we'll be seeing a Windows 9 Developer Preview at Build 2014. I think that sort of release would be more realistic to expect towards the end of this year.

Man of Honour
Build is the traditional time for release and they've already said they're going to show it off at build. Its really not a compressed timeline at all, although we will have to wait and see.

Soldato
My rationale is that since launching Windows 8 we've had Windows 8.1, a reorganisation, and they're currently trying to get 8.1 Update 1 out of the door - which still has a couple of months to go. From a pure time/resources perspective I'd be shocked if we saw a general developer preview release of Threshold at Build.

But like you say, we'll see.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
I hear win 9 will be smaller and the apps that work on a desktop will work on their phone.
So they are coming inline with Android\Linux but now Steam OS is around the corner, so I think that MS have missed the boat......AGAIN.

And only 4% of pc users install windows 8. Will MS ever learn? and do they need bill back?

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0&clearaf=1
Android/Linux for desktop/phone is in no way the same thing any more than Windows 8.1/Windows Phone 8 (both use the NT kernel but like Linux/android they cannot run the same games without serious recompiling)

Steam isn't on phones.

Overall really not quite sure what your point is? :confused:

It's been done to death but one of the big contributors to Windows 8 usage numbers is that most major companies (which make up a huge % of windows usage numbers) have either only just finished or are still deploying Windows 7 and in either case would be unlikely to deploy a new OS even if it was the best thing since sliced bread. Granted that doesn't make for quite such a dramatic OMG headline... ;)

Soldato
To be fair most people have been barked at at least once in their life for turning a PC off at the power button. It's not difficult, but at the same time not something they would automatically try.

"It is now safe to turn off your computer." The shutdown procedure is ingrained in the average PC user.

Soldato
Android/Linux for desktop/phone is in no way the same thing any more than Windows 8.1/Windows Phone 8 (both use the NT kernel but like Linux/android they cannot run the same games without serious recompiling)

Steam isn't on phones.

Overall really not quite sure what your point is? :confused

MS have said they want developers for apps that will be on their store but can work on mobile and desktop..

This was started in march last year http://msftkitchen.com/windows-phone-9-testing-begins-also-windows-9-gets-a-mention-from-microsoft

Oh and my point is that not many will move over to win 9 the same as the win 8 fail.
When Steam OS can run the games I play I can dump windows altogether. I will Steam OS for games and my TV for the web.

Soldato
looking forward to Windows 9, hopefully follow the tradition of one bad or not well received OS i.e, W2000 (WME) WXP (Vista) W7 (W8) W9 followed by a great one..

0wBvMTk.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
MS have said they want developers for apps that will be on their store but can work on mobile and desktop..

This was started in march last year http://msftkitchen.com/windows-phone-9-testing-begins-also-windows-9-gets-a-mention-from-microsoft

Oh and my point is that not many will move over to win 9 the same as the win 8 fail.
When Steam OS can run the games I play I can dump windows altogether. I will Steam OS for games and my TV for the web.

I imagine you will be waiting a long time for most games to work on Steam OS, I cannot see a lot of people dropping Windows for it. There is all these people complaining about no start menu, God help them on Linux/Steam.

Associate
I wait until Windows 9 next year as it look quite nicely with early build but best wait until 2015.. im stick with w7 at the moment... windows 9 may woo customers and business and trying to sell more.. windows 8 look really mess that a waste of money

Soldato
I imagine you will be waiting a long time for most games to work on Steam OS, I cannot see a lot of people dropping Windows for it. There is all these people complaining about no start menu, God help them on Linux/Steam.

I can put a start button\menu where ever I like on the desktop in Linux. The steam box is out soon with games to follow.

More companies\People use XP then Win 8 and MS backed down when they tried to force them to change.

Back
Top Bottom