• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Launches Three Kaveri APU SKUs in February 2014 – Feature Set For A10 and A8 APUs Detailed

Associate
I've found i'm getting better results from not overclocking the cpu...but slightly underclocking! base clock of 3.6ghz with std 4.0ghz boost, 2400mhz RAM and 1Ghz iGPU clock.

with a 4.0/4.4 OC on 3Dmark06 gave me 11472 (cpu=4628)

3.6/4.0 on 3Dmark06 11531 (cpu=4830)

i'm wondering if this is due to a better frequency match with the RAM? (3:2)
plus the bonus of undervolting and quieter/cooler system.

Associate
I've found i'm getting better results from not overclocking the cpu...but slightly underclocking! base clock of 3.6ghz with std 4.0ghz boost, 2400mhz RAM and 1Ghz iGPU clock.

with a 4.0/4.4 OC on 3Dmark06 gave me 11472 (cpu=4628)

3.6/4.0 on 3Dmark06 11531 (cpu=4830)

i'm wondering if this is due to a better frequency match with the RAM? (3:2)
plus the bonus of undervolting and quieter/cooler system.

It's due to that little cooler you're running with bits chopped off it.
It is throttling the CPU, it'll probably be down clocking the CPU down to 3.0ghz under load conditions.

Run Heaven or luxmark in a window with cpu-z open next to it, You''ll see what the CPU clock does then under load.

Caporegime
Shame that the 7850K and R9 290X is a bad pairing really, but the IGP and dedicated performing together is cool, but it can create some problems, which is why people don't really do it, it's also somewhat an old feature, back on my 790GX it had a this 128MB GDDR3 IGP and I believe it was possible for it to work with the discrete GPU.

Then you have Hydra etc.

Soldato
it'd be interesting if the combined graphics makes a difference in any games or if only certain applications can use it. Not sure what black magic makes this work, but does explain the demo of thief using a 7850k + 290x.

If we get to a stage where we're less cpu limited in games (enter mantle) this could be a good way to go.

Associate
It's due to that little cooler you're running with bits chopped off it.
It is throttling the CPU, it'll probably be down clocking the CPU down to 3.0ghz under load conditions.

Run Heaven or luxmark in a window with cpu-z open next to it, You''ll see what the CPU clock does then under load.

I've got CPU-Z installed which is showing the CPU clock etc, but i'm struggling to find a program which shows the CPU & GPU temps. I've got CPUID HWMonitor, which is giving some figures (TMPIN0) at idle 33'c, running Heaven Benchmark max 42'c (using only 1/3 to 1/2 of CPU) and dropping to 3Ghz...strange behaviour.
Also the iGPU temp is around -2'c!

PS: Just ran Warframe in window mode and that stayed 3.6-4.0Ghz, ran Crysis and that dropped to 3Ghz. What i don't understand is when the CPU is 'idle' in windows it returns to 4.0Ghz! running backwards compared to an Intel.

Last edited:
Associate
The CPU should be dropping down to ~1.7ghz with c states, cool and quiet and APM enabled when it's idling.

As for the CPU throttling, it's TDP related.
Once the iGPU goes over a certain temp (currently thought to be 65c) the throttling kicks in and downclocks the CPU.

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
I think theses APUs have there place, just that they were a little bit more expensive than people thought.
I think there probably great for small builds and home cinema and stuff.

Associate
I think theses APUs have there place, just that they were a little bit more expensive than people thought.
I think there probably great for small builds and home cinema and stuff.

Yeah, I think you're right the APU's are a bit more expensive (£20-30) than we thought they'd be.
The motherboards seem reasonably priced, though it appears most use a lot more power on standby than the Asus A88X-Pro which doesn't appear to be on sale here yet. (There are some available on the bay atm but are £102 so it may not be that cheap of a motherboard when it is released/officially available)

Anyhow I've been reading this thread and http://www.overclock.net/t/1459225/i-have-custom-looped-kaveri-and-am-your-guinea-pig/180, and I am rather tempted to pick up an APU and motherboard just to try it out for my upcoming gaming/workstation build.
Especially as an A10-7850K and motherboard will cost about the same as the Intel i7 4820K CPU I plan to use for the final build of that gaming/workstation pc will cost alone.

I know it won't be as quick as the i7 but I'm interested in testing it out, and when I'm finished with it in that build I'll make it into a media pc running Plex and have it under my TV, as these APU's seem perfect for that.

A couple of things I am wondering about is what motherboard to use (do any have an Intel NIC?) And should I just go with an A10-7700K as I will be pairing it with a dGPU in the workstation build, and I don't see the media pc build it will go into later on needing all the extra graphics power of the A10-7850K.

Last edited:
Associate
The Thermalright AXP-200 'should' fit in your case and on the gigabyte board.
It's the best low profile cooler available.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-109-TR&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=2352

I've got one here for my Silverstone ML-06B build running off a 160w Pico-psu.
Can't use it atm as it wont clear the tall ramsinks on the memory I have.

Will have an update and small build log next week when the new ram arrives.

That was the problem i had with the Nero LX, after buying 2 fairly expensive heatsinks, i wasn't going to buy another so i ended up grinding around 30mm of the one side of the Nero so i could keep the fast RAM.

Associate
That was the problem i had with the Nero LX, after buying 2 fairly expensive heatsinks, i wasn't going to buy another so i ended up grinding around 30mm of the one side of the Nero so i could keep the fast RAM.

Patriot Venom Red, that's what you have right?
It's 41mm tall so the AXP-200 won't work with that (maximum memory height of 33mm supported)

I'd avoid an AIO. you want some airflow over the board or the VRM's will get hot and cause throttling.

Another option is to replace (or remove) the heat spreaders on the ram, freeing up your choice in coolers.
Memory heatsinks are just a gimmick these days anyway DDR3 doesn't get hot enough to warrant the use of heatsinks.

Take Samsung Green for example some of the best overclocking, low profile DDR3 ever made and it uses no heatsinks.
Sadly it won't clock over DDR3 1866 in the Gigabyte board as it has a DDR3 1600 XMP profile and the Gigabyte A88XN-WIFI hates manual memory overclocking on the bios's available.
I've got 2 sets here both capable of well over DDR3 2600 and can't use them in the board at anything over DDR3 1866.

Or you can just be satisfied with what you have and understand if you want higher clocks, you're just going to have to throw more money at it.
That Akasa Nero LX was never going to be any good for overclocking even before you chopped some off it.

Last edited:
Associate
how are you guys overclocking the igp?

as soon as i alter it by as much as 50mhz in overdrive it locks up.... am i missing something

cpu overclocked fine no problems at all.

have you loaded the latest bios (f4a - Gigabyte FN A88ITX)? If so, i set my iGPU clock within bios (should read 700mhz default)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom