Upgrading from an '03 Rover 25. Got 6-7k to spend

Associate
The Rover at 800 quid was my first car and has done me well but I feel like I'm well overdue an upgrade.

I have 6-7k to spend but can stretch that for something special. I'm not looking to start a family or anything soon and would like something that's a pleasure to drive and doesn't take an hour to do 0-60 but in saying that I also can't get a coupé because I'm designated driver a lot of the time. I also like the idea of a slightly bigger car just to mix it up from the Rover but I know my budget constrains me there. I take the bus to/from work so it's largely a weekend car with the odd short journey during the week.

I'm fairly ignorant about cars so I'm trusting the good judgement of OcUK! Based on my needs, is it worth getting a 2011/2012 modest car or going older and getting something "fancier"? Any particular models spring to mind? Might be worth noting that I'm in Belfast for insurance/availability reasons.

Permabanned
Screams E46 330 imo

Slim picking in Northern Ireland. Plenty of 1.8 and 2.0s in petrol and diesel. Occasionally 325s. 330s and 335s not so much. Particularly if you're after a specific trim level. It's usually quicker to go across the water if you want them. There's 3, 330s up on usedcarsni.com and they're all diesel. And this is the only good one.

Associate
I'd personally look at something older and more fun. Also i'd buy something for me rather than others (Designated Driver - assuming this is driving friends back from the pub, etc), obviously that different if its for a family, but this isn't the case here. I often have a couple of adults squeezed into the back of my clio 182, and i'm still quite comfortable.

Permabanned

If you want a newer car with lower mileage, yes. Although I'd weigh the various trim levels against each other so you get the best value for money. I'm not read up on that generations trim levels, so I'm of no use there, but I think Titanium is the high spec variant over the Zetec.

Soldato
Diesel Mondeo is a waste of time to drive on the odd occasion - not to mention you'll be increasing the chances of having problems with the short journeys.

Find a 2.5T or na petrol if you are feeling sensible.

Tbh there's no chance I'd have a mondeo with 8 grand...but there's also no chance I'd buy a 5 door car because I had to give people a lift now and then!

Do you just want a moderately nice car with moderate go...i.e say 130bhp plus? If so there's loads of choice.

Associate
OP
Do you just want a moderately nice car with moderate go...i.e say 130bhp plus? If so there's loads of choice.

Essentially!

I don't drink so the designated driver duty is frequent enough to warrant a 5 door unless I'm losing out on getting a better 3 door.

8 grand on a Mondeo might be silly but I made my knowledge of cars clear in the OP ;) I'm all ears on alternatives

Soldato
I don't think £8k on a Mondeo is silly at all tbh - just it wouldn't even register on my list if I didn't need the space.

£8k on a diesel one is, imo silly though when you're doing next to no miles. You'll probably find you would be perfectly happy with the likes of the 2.0 petrol.

Soldato
Worth having a look in ROI as there is now a VRT rebate scheme and pre-2008 stuff with engine size over 2l/2008+ stuff with high CO2 drops like a stone.
There's a 2007 Mondeo petrol 2.5 with 50k on the clock for £4k.'
http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo/6149578
or a Focus ST for similar money:
http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-st/5824620
There are plenty of other interesting cars down there, just do a search on donedeal for petrol engines larger than 2.1l.

Only hassle will be driving it back and getting the clocks changed to MPH (quite easy to get done). Run a VRT rebate quote on the ros.ie site and use it to negotiate a better price with the seller - offer to split it straight down the middle.

Man of Honour
My first reaction to the designated driver issue was to ignore it and get what you want. But realistically that may mean that you get driven by others less so there probably is a reason for a bit of give and take here. I'd certainly be looking at something fun and driver focused as a priority with the designated driver issue only as a secondary consideration. Perhaps not a two seater but I'd not rule out a coupe as long as it had seats in the back for short trips.

As for a hatchback then I guess the usual suspects come into play; Golf, Focus, etc.

Or something larger I'd also go with an E46 - maybe a convertible for the summer fun factor? - although as Fox says this isn't necessarily the cheapest and hassle free option long term. Nice though.

Soldato
Glad the Rover kept you well - not as bad as everyone would have you believe ;)
I moved into the large saloon market after having a Fiesta, a couple of Rover 400s etc. Drive one first to make sure you like it before committing - something like a Mondeo is *much* bigger than a 25, and you need to make sure you're comfortable with it.

I jumped straight into a Rover 75 estate, that was scary... :o
The MG ZT CDTi is a good car - well screwed together, BMW engine and Getrag 'box and looks the part too. You'd have a lot of change though - £3k buys you a minter now.
If you can stump up the fuel, the 2.5 V6 is an excellent engine. Expect to see 30MPG at best though... although you do get 190PS and a Godly engine note!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom