Benefits of an SSD?

Associate
When I build my rig last year I didn't budget for an SSD because, well... Why? They're expensive and small in capacity! That's what I thought at the time. Plus I wasn't on a huge budget.

Now I keep being told to buy one by my friend because apparently his system boots in lightning speed, but mine boots in 19 secs, and I've never found myself in a situation where I've found wanting for a quicker boot time lol.

Seriously though, they are becoming hard to ignore now and I'm looking to pick one up, install windows and commonly played games on it... But how will this effect my gameplay or user experience? Does it really just come down to system speed? Because I've never really considered my comp slow :/

Caporegime
19 seconds:eek:

you must have hardly anything installed:D

all I can say is get one,it improves everything compared to a regular mechanical hdd

games,some not all load faster/maps ect, actual gameplay will be the same,programs/web pages and startup times vastly improve

RJC

RJC

Don
Having used a SSD for a few years I would never go back to a mechanical drive for the operating system.

Associate
Speed.

I never really considered mine slow but thought I'd get one anyway. Bought a Samsung 840 EVO. Everything now loads practically instantly and my computer boots up before my monitors turn on even from a full shut down.

Soldato
SSD would be one of the first thing son my list for a new system.

They are one of the best improvements to PC's in the last decade.

Super fast boot times and program loading times just makes your system feel so snappy.

Unless you have kept your Windows install vanilla, I very much doubt your system boots up in 19 seconds.

My test is turn button on and time taken to open up internet explorer and view homepage as the becnhmark.

Associate
OP
Yeah maybe that 19 secs was a fresh install, because I just timed it now and it took 41 seconds to reach desktop lol.

I guess I'll have to picking one up soon. Really unsure on how to go about installing one though. What with installing Windows on it, what do you do with your original install of windows on the HDD? Get a bit nervous when I think about formating etc lol

Soldato
Samsung 120Gb EVO here.

Boot time is 9 seconds.
Photoshop CS6.0 opens within 3 seconds (it was under 2 seconds before I installed NIK Collection plugins)
Shut down is 3 seconds.

I will be sticking to SSD for all future OS installs.

Soldato
Yeah maybe that 19 secs was a fresh install, because I just timed it now and it took 41 seconds to reach desktop lol.

I guess I'll have to picking one up soon. Really unsure on how to go about installing one though. What with installing Windows on it, what do you do with your original install of windows on the HDD? Get a bit nervous when I think about formating etc lol

Plug your new SSD in and install a fresh copy of Windows 7/8 64bit, copy over anything you want from your old Boot drive and backup the rest.

Then format old Boot drive and restore your documents and files from the backup and use as a storage device.

Then just direct you 'Documents' Folders (e.g Music, Videos, Pictures etc) to the mechanical drive so they are saved there.

Soldato
Speed of SSD's is ridiculous.
I have a 256GB Samsung Pro for OS and my "important" programs (Office, Photoshop, Sony movie studio)
and then a 128GB Crucial M$ for my "important" games (BF4, DayZ, Arma 3, Verdun)

Load times are so quick with the SSD.

Associate
Get an SSD and you'll never look back. I'm slowly phasing out all of my mechanical drives...they seem so ancient in comparison.

Caporegime
After having owned a few ssd's now, going back to a mechanical drive is such a pain. When my ocz vertex 2e died, i had to use a standard drive to tide me over. It was like going back in time, got another ssd as quickly as possible. Also love the fact that theres no noise.

Deleted member 76686

D

Deleted member 76686

You'll find that once you've used a SSD as the primary drive you won't go back, as many here have stated and that is all you need to know.

Back
Top Bottom