• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Mantle Benchmark Thread

Caporegime
Please post your Mantle Benchmarks here. I will add scores to the third post. Please no fanboy talk, no arguments about Mantle bugs or image quality issues etc. Please use the other thread for that. I will ask Mods/Dons to delete any off topic posts. This is for posting benchmark scores and discussion about said scores only.

AMD Catalyst™ 14.1 Beta Driver for Windows®

Download Link
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Feature Highlights of The AMD Catalyst™ 14.1 Beta Driver for Windows
Support for the following new AMD Desktop APU (Accelerated Processors) products:
AMD A10-7850K
AMD A10-7700K
Mantle Beta driver
AMD's Mantle is a groundbreaking graphics API that promises to transform the world of game development to help bring better, faster games to the PC
Performance gain of up to 45%(versus the DirectX version) for Battlefield 4 on the R9 290 Series
Performance gain of up to 200% (versus the DirectX version) for Star Swarm on the R9 290 Series
AMD Catalyst 14.1 Beta must be used in conjunction with versions of these applications that support Mantle
It is expected that these applications will have future updates to support additional AMD Mantle features
AMD Mantle Beta driver is currently supported on:
AMD Radeon™ R9 Series GPUs
AMD Radeon™ R7 Series GPUs
AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series GPUs
AMD Radeon™ HD 8000 Series GPUs
AMD A10-7000 Series and AMD A8-7000 Series APUs
​​​​​For additional details please see the AMD Mantle Technology FAQ on amd.com​
Enhanced AMD CrossFire frame pacing – Support for 4K panel and Eyefinity non-XDMA CrossFire solutions (including the AMD Radeon R9 280, 270 Series, 7900 Series, 7800 Series) and Dual Graphics configurations​
​​​Frame pacing ensures that frames rendered across multiple GPUs in an AMD CrossFire configuration will be displayed at an even and regular pace
Supported on 4K panels and Eyefinity configurations
Supported on AMD Dual Graphics configurations
Supported on DirectX® 10 and DirectX 11 applications​​​
Resolved issue highlights of AMD Catalyst 14.1 Beta​​
Resolves ground texture flickering seen in Total War: Rome 2 with high settings (and below) set in game
Resolves flickering texture corruption when playing Call of Duty: Ghosts (multi-player) in the space station level

Resolved Issues

Ground texture flickering seen in Total War: Rome 2 with high settings (and below) set in game
Flickering texture corruption when playing Call of Duty: Ghosts (multi-player) in the space station level
Blu-ray playback using PowerDVD black screen on extended mode
Streaming VUDU HD/HDX content on Sharp PN-K321 (DP) causes the right-side half to flicker in and out
Black screen happened after wake up the monitor
Full screen issue at rotation in DX9 mode
Video window black screen when using Samsung Kies to play video
Crysis2 negative scaling in outdoor scene
Crysis2 has insufficient CrossFire scaling in some scene
Red Faction: The game has no or negative crossfire scaling with DX9 and DX11
Age of Conan has corruption and performance issues with crossfire enabled
Company of Heroes shadows are corrupted when using crossfire
Resident Evil5 's performance is unstable when display mode set to Window mode
Total War: Shogun 2 flickering menu/text
Frame rate drop when disabling post-processing in 3DMark06
Negative Crossfire scaling with game "The Secret World" in DX11 mode
F1 2012 Crashes to desktop
Tomb Raider Hair Simulation Stutters on CFX
Negative CrossFire scaling experienced in Call of Duty
Battlefield 3 performance drop on Haswell systems
Choppy video playback on 4k Video
VSync ON Tearing with 2x1 Eyefinity SLS CrossFire
Far Cry 3 - Game flickering while changing resolutions
Display corruption and BSOD occurs when extending a display after disabling Multiple GPU SLS array
Flickering seen when enable three 4kx2k panels at the same time
No Video, just a black screen when setting Chrome to run in "High Performance" when playing certain video clips
Image crashed on Starcraft game

Known Issues

Mantle performance for the AMD Radeon™ HD 7000/HD 8000 Series GPUs and AMD Radeon™ R9 280X and R9 270X GPUs will be optimized for BattleField 4™ in future AMD Catalyst™ releases. These products will see limited gains in BattleField 4™ and AMD is currently investigating optimizations for them.
Multi-GPU support under DirectX® and Mantle will be added to StarSwarm in a future application patch
Intermittent stuttering or stability issues may occur when utilizing Mantle with AMD CrossFire™ technology in BattleField 4™ - AMD recommends using the DirectX code path when playing Battlefield 4 with multiple GPUs. A future AMD Catalyst release will resolve these issues
Notebooks based on AMD Enduro or PowerXpress™ technologies are currently not supported by the Mantle codepath in Battlefield 4™
AMD Eyefinity configurations utilizing portrait display orientations are currently not supported by the Mantle codepath in Battlefield 4™
AMD Eyefinity technology is not currently supported in the Star Swarm​ application
AMD testing for the AMD Catalyst™ 14.1 Beta Mantle driver has been concentrated on the following products: AMD Radeon™ R9 290X, R9 290, R9 280, R9 270, R7 260X, R7 260, HD 7000 Series, HD 8000 Series, A10-7850K and A10-7700K. Future AMD Catalyst™ releases will include full test coverage for all AMD products supported by Mantle.
Graphics hardware in the AMD A10-7850K and A10-7700K may override the presence of a discrete GPU under the Mantle code path in Battlefield 4™
Frame Pacing for Dual Graphics and non-XDMA configurations above 2560x1600 do not currently work with Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4. An upcoming release will enable support
DX9 Dual graphics is not supported in AMD Catalyst 14.1 Beta. An upcoming release will enable support

Please see the second post for the Battlefield 4 benchmark sequence ive created for us all to follow.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Battlefield 4 Benchmark Video

Instructions

Mission 3 - South China Sea

Reach the 'Escape The Titan Sequence' and jump onto the ship (wait for autosave to kick in) and then restart checkpoint to begin as i do. The benchmarking starts as soon as the checkpoint is loaded.

1. Copy the video as closely as possible.
2. At the start, get ammo from the crate then backup to use the plane wreckage as cover.
3. Use one clip shooting the first wave of enemies.
4. Spend the second clip shooting the guy to the left in the burnt out chopper. He has a grenade launcher and killing him quickly makes the other troops retreat.
5. Once your squad mate says they're retreating move up to the ammo crate.
6. Pick off any left over enemies and pick up more ammo before moving on to the next cover.
7. Pick off a couple more enemies far away in the distance.
8. Throw a grenade at the explosive barrel and slowly walk past it.
9. Shoot any explosive barrels, once or twice till they catch light and continue on.
10. Kill the last enemies as i do. Don't forget the final guy by the three explosives barrells. Do not shoot those.
11. Proceed to the end of the Titan and look down at the boat. End the benchmark here.

Benchmark Posting Instructions

1. Please state your cpu clock info, clock speed.
2. Please state your gpu info, clock speed and drivers used.
3. Please include minimum and average fps.
4. Please state your resolution & settings used.
5. If posting a Mantle and DX11 bench please ensure the settings are matched across both API's.

Useful In Game Commands

FPS Monitor type - PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1

Cpu+Gpu performance overlay type - PerfOverlay.DrawGraph 1

To take a screenshot type - Render.Screenshot

To enable a FPS log type at start of bench - PerfOverlay.FrameFileLogEnable 1

To stop FPS log at end of bench type - PerfOverlay.FrameFileLogEnable 0

A little tip. Whilst the level/map is loading you can type in PerfOverlay.FrameFileLogEnable 0 and press enter. Then when you need to start logging just bring up the console, press down arrow key on your keyboard or S and that last written command comes up. Saves you retyping it each time. Just change the 0 to 1 and hit enter to start recording.

How To Work Out Your FPS

Using the command PerfOverlay.FrameFileLogEnable above you can start recording fps figures. To read the output which is placed in your documents BF4 folder use the following tool below.

Link to the app here guys (203.5KB):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/c7qmr3

Probably easiest to place the .exe in the same folder as the CSV file.
Then open a console window in said folder and type:
bf4parse <filename>

e.g.
bf4parse FrameTimeLog001.csv

All credit to Cambofrog for this handy little tool which works out all the fps for you quickly via command prompt.

Source
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/member.php?u=60932

Example

c7fpwSI.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Mantle API Results

1080P

166 AVG. 4.7 MIN. CPU FX8320 @ 4Ghz - 7850 @ ???/???? - 14.1 Drivers sockky - Link
110.4 AVG. 3.3 MIN. CPU 2500K @ 4.8ghz - 7970+7950 Xfire @ 1000/1400 - 14.1 Drivers sockky - Link
94 AVG. 6.6 MIN. CPU 3570K @ 4.2ghz - 290 Xfire @ 1000/12500 - 14.1 Drivers EL_Jock - Link
73 AVG. 25 MIN. CPU 2500K @ 4.0ghz - 290X @ 1000/1300 - 14.1 Drivers Sieb - Link

1440P

54.1 AVG. 38.2 MIN. CPU 2700K @ 4.8ghz - 290 @ 975/1250 - 14.1 Drivers LtMatt - Link

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
DirectX 11 Results

1080P

156 AVG. 25.2 MIN. CPU FX8320 @ 4Ghz - 7850 @ ???/???? - 14.1 Drivers sockky - Link
72.3 AVG. 11 MIN. CPU 2500K @ 4.8ghz - 7970+7950 Xfire @ 1000/1400 - 14.1 Drivers sockky - Link
65 AVG. 25 MIN. CPU 2500K @ 4.0ghz - 290X @ 1000/1300 - 14.1 Drivers Sieb - Link
63.1 AVG. 28.9 MIN. CPU 3570K @ 4.2ghz - 290 Xfire @ 1000/1250 - 14.1 Drivers EL_Jock - Link

1440P

44.8 AVG. 38.2 MIN. CPU 2700K @ 4.8ghz - 290 @ 975/1250 - 14.1 Drivers LtMatt - Link

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Ok guys post away. I'll let everyone decide how we do this. Do we stick to any specific settings or just make it a free for all? Stick to Ultra/Medium preset? Open to suggestions.

Soldato
Ok guys post away. I'll let everyone decide how we do this. Do we stick to any specific settings or just make it a free for all? Stick to Ultra/Medium preset? Open to suggestions.

It's not going to be a ranked bench so it doesn't really matter does it? As long as Mantle vs Direct X are done at the same settings then we can get an idea of performance differences on different setups.

Might be worth having a list with our usernames and setups linked to our benches? Then people with comparable setups can go straight to the relevant benches to see performance differences.

i.e.

SS-89 - [email protected], 290X Trifire (Linked to post)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
It's not going to be a ranked bench so it doesn't really matter does it? As long as Mantle vs Direct X are done at the same settings then we can get an idea of performance differences on different setups.

Might be worth having a list with our usernames and setups linked to our benches? Then people with comparable setups can go straight to the relevant benches to see performance differences.

That's what i was thinking. Could actually have a DX11 leaderboard as well to compare. Ok so any settings allowed so long as they're matched between API's.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi LtMatt,

got ready and done the first run, however the output file only has frame times, cpu frame & gpu frame times not the fps is there a way to get that as well? this was on mantle

Been using that file you linked to get the overlay on

Caporegime
OP
Hi LtMatt,

got ready and done the first run, however the output file only has frame times, cpu frame & gpu frame times not the fps is there a way to get that as well? this was on mantle

Been using that file you linked to get the overlay on

Yes there is, im trying to figure it out myself lol. I saw this post and this explains it, but ive yet to test it myself. Check it out and see if you can make sense of it. I'm about to run my own bench then ill test.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1337433810&postcount=684

Associate
Yes there is, im trying to figure it out myself lol. I saw this post and this explains it, but ive yet to test it myself. Check it out and see if you can make sense of it. I'm about to run my own bench then ill test.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1337433810&postcount=684

Just gives you freamtime in ms so divide 1000 by that number to get the fps number

Right, that's not totally accurate. You want the reciprocal of that, so:
1 / (framtimeInMs/1000)
or if you frametime is in A1:
=1 / (A1/1000).
So 7ms would give you: 1 / (7/1000) = 142.85FPS for example.
That's for FPS. For anything more complex (graphic CPU or GPU spikes etc.), you'd obviously have to more complex spreadsheeting, but converting ms to FSP is the above formula.
And sorry, don't have BF4 so no benches from me.

Caporegime
OP
Right, that's not totally accurate. You want the reciprocal of that, so:
1 / (framtimeInMs/1000)
or if you frametime is in A1:
=1 / (A1/1000).
So 7ms would give you: 1 / (7/1000) = 142.85FPS for example.
That's for FPS. For anything more complex (graphic CPU or GPU spikes etc.), you'd obviously have to more complex spreadsheeting, but converting ms to FSP is the above formula.
And sorry, don't have BF4 so no benches from me.

Thanks for the explanation. Goes right over my head though lol.

Associate
Right o, done a run on mantle and dx, used that rage3d thing you posted, thoughts and results so far,

If your using your file and not setting it off in game as per the rage 3d, the best way to work out when the level had started is from the CPU frame time.

You will get a massive run of 5's the 33.3's than back to 5's these are the cut scene, (could be down into the 1000's on excel sheet) before you start to get number around 10ish give or take, then it is the other way round when you go to menu at the end. i took a few extra either side to allow for the black screen just before you load in & load out.

Using the rage3d you can work it out will update with a few easy tricks to get the numbers in a min

The results

Ultra preset with motion blur off & fov @ 90 1080p

i5 3570k @ 4.2 (H100i) closed water loop
sapphire Tri-x 290's crossfire (stock for that card)
Win 7

Mantle

Max 229
Avg 89.7
Min 15.35

DX11

Max 130
Avg 64
Min 28

So by the looks the avg is 39% better, max & min could just be a spike so not sure what we can take from that

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the explanation. Goes right over my head though lol.

lol. Fair enough. Well, then let me try and explain it.

Frames per second (FPS) is what we want because we are used to it, but what the log file gives us is milliseconds per frame. That is how long the each frame takes in milliseconds. So the time the frame takes. But we want to know now many frames we got in certain amount of time (frametime). So if we device our timeframe by the amount of time a frame took, we get how many frames we get in each timeframe. So 1 divided by 7ms = 0.142 Frames per millisecond. The 1000 is because we want the results in seconds.

Oh, and actually easier is to divide 1000 by your ms: 1000 / 7ms = 142FPS.

Edit: and don't forget the mins! From your rage3d link, the bit with "MIN(A1:AXX)". I mean, min frames is far more important. Although with the reports of occasional spikes in the Mantle beta, you want a more complex formula which ignores those spikes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom