*** PC Gaming - Daily Deals Thread ***

Soldato
Is it just me who is getting a little cheesed off with the Humble Bundle folks these days?
I remember back when it started, it was a true pay what you want affair. It then jumped to the $1 minimum, which was I think predictable if a sad reflection on those paying a single cent.

These days, they're pushing beat the average and now this $15 DLC. I don't mind so much the average, but the $15 DLC feels really cheap and nasty.

-Leezer-

The hard-limit pricing on the bundle is a bit jarring and doesn't seem in the spirit of the Humble Bundle really. I'm more disappointed with the increasing move away from indie to major publishers. I realise that the bundles with the big names receive a lot more cash, but even that feels a bit of a shame as Humble was so good for giving exposure and cash to the indies.

Soldato
I'm guessing it's just the chosen wording but it isn't really $15 DLC is it? Are you really complaining that the price threshold to get *everything* including that DLC (which at full price is more than $15 and even in sales hasn't gone much below about ~£5 on its own)? Because from where I'm sitting its an absolutely phenomenal deal even if the price is a little higher than some of the bundles have been in the past... If I didn't already own all the Civ V stuff I'd snap it up right away. But seriously - let's at least try to not get an entitlement complex :p

I agree with cheesyboy, I liked the humblebundles in the past because they allowed me to discover some amazing smaller games I may not have noticed otherwise (like Bastion for example)

Associate
It's not just him. The whole thing is seeming more and more commercial.

More and more commercial? They do a weekly bundle and a fortnightly bundle where they cater for mobile, audiobooks, indie and major developers. Lets not forget you can donate all of your purchase to charity.

Too commercial, heh. Didn't see that comment when people were lovin' up the origin bundle.

Soldato
The hard-limit pricing on the bundle is a bit jarring and doesn't seem in the spirit of the Humble Bundle really. I'm more disappointed with the increasing move away from indie to major publishers. I realise that the bundles with the big names receive a lot more cash, but even that feels a bit of a shame as Humble was so good for giving exposure and cash to the indies.

Bingo :)
It seems to me at the moment they're pushing DLC with a $15 hard limit, and guilt tripping people into paying more. (You'll note that the $15 DLC limit artificially pushes up the average price)

Remember too that the default split on a $15 purchase is actually $9.75 to Activision, $3 to charity and $2.25 to the Humblebundle people. Sure you can change this split, but I'd guess that an awful lot of people don't.
Perhaps I'd be a little less sceptical if the higher figure was actually charity (For that matter, I'm sure there used to be a pie chart showing what actually went where).

The whole spirit once upon a time was to pay what you want to give a large chunk of exposure to indie developers and make cash for charity at the same time.

-Leezer-

Soldato
Gotta agree, they're not obligated to provide you with cheap games. It's for charity. Donate, or don't.

It's not "for charity" - that's just marketing.

It's really for the developers and Humble. Charity is a sweetener, and they allow you to apportion your payment into whatever combination of those you would like.

Personally, when I buy the indie bundles, I like to recognise the efforts of the content creators and marketers, so give 75% to developers and 25% to Humble. I give to charity elsewhere.

When all is said and done, though, Humble bundle suits many people for many different reasons. I just personally feel it's sad to see the big boys muscling in on a successful indie formula.

Last edited:
Associate
More and more commercial? They do a weekly bundle and a fortnightly bundle where they cater for mobile, audiobooks, indie and major developers. Lets not forget you can donate all of your purchase to charity.

Too commercial, heh. Didn't see that comment when people were lovin' up the origin bundle.

They are definitely more commercial now. The arrival of the Humble Store is evidence of that. More of the proceeds of a sale from the Humble Store go to the humble creators than they go to charity (15% Humble tip, 10% Charity).

I would imagine that the humble creators are making a nice living out of this nowadays.

Soldato
They are definitely more commercial now. The arrival of the Humble Store is evidence of that. More of the proceeds of a sale from the Humble Store go to the humble creators than they go to charity (15% Humble tip, 10% Charity).

I would imagine that the humble creators are making a nice living out of this nowadays.

There's no problem with Humble making money out of it - everyone does well out of the deal and, pleasingly, the store very strongly favours indie developers (and 10% to charity based on the store prices is probably a better deal for charity than the super-budget bundles anyway).

Have a look how beneficial the humble bundle is to Indies with Dustforce's sales figures article;
http://hitboxteam.com/dustforce-sales-figures
(a great read)

Associate
There's no problem with Humble making money out of it - everyone does well out of the deal and, pleasingly, the store very strongly favours indie developers (and 10% to charity based on the store prices is probably a better deal for charity than the super-budget bundles anyway).

Have a look how beneficial the humble bundle is to Indies with Dustforce's sales figures article;
http://hitboxteam.com/dustforce-sales-figures
(a great read)

Yes, I agree completely. They have clearly dedicated a lot of time and effort into not just the idea and the site, but also building the trust and reputation required to convince developers and publishers that a 'pay what you want' pricing model can make money. That's no easy task.

But I believe they have clearly moved in a commercial direction since they started the bundle. Who knows if that was their original intention or not.

Soldato
Thing is the bigger companies "muscling in" on the deal appear to be mostly using it as a way of netting a few extra sales of some of their older titles (for the most part) as opposed to offering huge discounts on their current titles (Civ V BNW is a good example of that)...

The exposure for Indie devs is by far the better part of the deal for them - I've gone on to buy other games by a developer because of a fun game they made and I picked up via humblebundle... The same is not really true for the bigger companies - I knew about them, I knew their games were sometimes overpriced repetitive boring shovelware, so I just appreciated being able to pick up some of their back-catalogue at a cheap(ish) price

Back
Top Bottom