The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
Just bought a new camera!

k50q5d.jpg

:D It should be a bit easier taking out on the mountains and skiing than my DSLR!

Soldato
Nothing to flash. Finally upgraded my Nikon D90 after 3 years of good service. Picked up a nearly mint D7000 for a good price. Was after something not to expensive with decent low light performance. The one weakness iI had the D90.

Associate
Nice one MK, they're brilliant cameras (I have a GRDIII) once you have all the custom settings dialed in to your preferences. I'm looking at buying one myself once I sort out my full frame set up.

Soldato
Nothing to flash. Finally upgraded my Nikon D90 after 3 years of good service. Picked up a nearly mint D7000 for a good price. Was after something not to expensive with decent low light performance. The one weakness iI had the D90.

I've been using my D7000 in a sportshall tonight. Couldn't do without the great iso performance!

Soldato
all this talk about small tripods makes me want one...
I have CF manfrotto, but have to say I like idea of a tiny one...
I do like meFOTO ones, Redget looks good but on pricey side of things...or maybe just another but small manfrotto ...

Man of Honour

Bought a D7000 a couple of weeks ago: insurance replacement for my old 60D which was taken in a burglary. I'm still reading the manual and trying to remember it all...

Soldato
Bought a D7000 a couple of weeks ago: insurance replacement for my old 60D which was taken in a burglary. I'm still reading the manual and trying to remember it all...

I know how you feel. It is pretty similar to the d90 but still trying to get my head round the bits that are different. Currently reading up on it and watching a few YouTube guides. Sure it will all sink in eventually. Hopefully get time this weekend to go walkabout with it with 1.8 50mm stuck on it.

Soldato
A Gitzo tripod and an Arca-Swiss Cube

2akbkfn.jpg

2yy3zfm.jpg

Oo that's tasty :D It's got twizzles and markings and things to play with :D

In the morning, hopefully with no hangover (yeah right) I shall be ordering my 70-200 2.8 mkii with x2 canon tc mkiii. FINALLY my solicitor pulled their thumb from bum and gave me my dosh, so I've got my uber PC build on it's way but I ran out of time for the lens order.

On the upside I've also been confirmed for a major music event in the area as the photographer for a journalist, so that's nice. Down side is I've realised I'm working so have had to beg my bosses for time off work :D

Soldato
Picked up a canon 600D a couple of weeks back as my first entry into the DSLR market. It came with a 18-55mm lens but no IS. I've been having a play and think I'll get some new lenses next week.

Would the 18-55 IS II lens be a good replacement for an all round purpose lens or can anyone recommend something better between £100-200? Also looking to get the EF 50mm f/1.8 to inspire a bit more creativity from my end. Oh and can anyone recommend a decent sized carry case to put all the gear in? Nothing too expensive, £30-40 should get me a good case I'd have thought?

Thanks

Associate
I'd recommend a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC version. Still no IS but more aperture means faster shutter speeds, the IQ beats a kit lens. You won't miss the 5mm at the long end, but will definitely appreciate the wide end. Should be able to grab a secondhand one for just a smudge over budget.

Associate
I'd recommend a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC version. Still no IS but more aperture means faster shutter speeds, the IQ beats a kit lens. You won't miss the 5mm at the long end, but will definitely appreciate the wide end. Should be able to grab a secondhand one for just a smudge over budget.

I'd agree with this, its the standard upgrade option unless you want to look at extended ranges.

You'll pick up a non VC (VC is vibration control, Tamrons version of IS) edition for around £160 second hand. I would consider looking at the VC version if your budget will stretch that far, you'll read about people saying its not as sharp as the non VC version but I really think that's luck of the draw.

The VC is super useful for a beginner and may allow you to get the shot at f4.5 as opposed to f2.8. I found my non VC copy was a little soft at f2.8 (as most lenses are wide open) but it was pin sharp at f4 - f4.5

Also the 600d gets a little noisy past ISO 800, so the f2.8 PLUS VC may allow you to get a poorly lit shot without bumping the ISO

Soldato
In the morning, hopefully with no hangover (yeah right) I shall be ordering my 70-200 2.8 mkii with x2 canon tc mkiii.

Just placed the order. Annoyingly my account got selected by the lovely fraud prevention people at Natwest and I've only just managed to get it unblocked as their stupid automated system that phoned me on Saturday, caused more problems than it solved.

Still, it should be here in 2-3 days :) I didn't bother getting the extender as I'm mulling over replacing my 35L with the Sigma art one, or waiting a few months until the new 50mm comes out. With the raving they're pushing out the PR end of Sigma, if accurate, I WANT THAT :D

Soldato
Just bought myself a 75mm F1.8 heliar to go with my lens line up. Want something longer than 50mm but faster than my 90, so this suits the line up well. Should have it by the weekend! I'll post some test shots up then in another thread.

Associate
Triggertrap mobile, only had a quick go to check it all worked but going to try a time-lapse this weekend

Oh and an adaptor for FD lenses.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom