Monitor audio BX2 or RS1 silver?

Soldato
Can get either one off my dad for free, but really don't have the time on my visit to audition either as its a pickup to drop them to the airport. I've had a BR1 and was impressed with it, a long time ago i had 5i floor standing silvers but thats not comparable i guess as its been over a decade.
His amp is currently in storage as well so even a quick listen is not happening. Anyone heard the RS1? My mate has BX2s and i think they are excellent but somehow i found even my old JPW mini monitors seem to have better mid range. Using a Rotel 930AX for listening to vinyl mainly. Live in a flat so nothing major needed.
Going to replace my Mordaunt Short MS25is as they are lacking bottom end badly, even the MS20is which i have in my surround system gives more bass lol.

Soldato
RS1 has been superseded by RX1. RS1 is still a very good speaker though and is a range above the BX2. They go;

Bronze range
Silver range
Gold range
Platinum range

BX2 is a slightly bigger cabinet so might go deeper. But RS1 should have better components. Hmm can you not listen to both and decide what you like the sound of best?

Man of Honour
From the specs there's not a lot in it between the RS1 and the BX2. Both achieve a similar frequency range. They're equally as efficient, though the RS1 is a nominal 6 Ohm load so it will take a little more to control it from the amp. The Rotel is plenty strong enough though unless you like to have the sound blasting out. Even the weights are fairly similar - both around 6kg per speaker.

The two main points for me would be construction quality and porting.

The RS1 is roughly 15% smaller by volume than the BX2, yet manages to be 3% heavier. So that means that the cabinet is better braced and there's a possibility that despite the marginally smaller diameter bass driver there may be a larger magnet attached to the back of it.

The porting is different on the two models; forward firing on the BX2 and rear firing on the RS1. If you're going to put either set of speakers hard up against the back wall then you're going to struggle. You'd expect the rear ported RS1's to struggle most. But because they're more controlled they'll work at a closer distance to the back wall than the BX2's. 8-10" for them will be fine. Both sets of speakers benefit from at least 2ft clearance from the side walls.

On balance the sensible choice is the RS1's. They're easier to position, better quality, have a superior finish and I think you'll enjoy the extra grip they have on the music.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies.. I managed to get the two to audition with the promise i don't get it in my head i'm keeping both :D
The BX2 just sounds a little 'warmer' in my room for some reason, the RS1 seems a little bright. I don't disagree with you that it may be a better overall speaker but for my room the BX2 just seems a bit better. The RS1 definetly has a more pronounced mid range though imo and would be better for more vocal music.

Associate
I have to say, we've just paired up the Monitor Audio BX2's with the Marantz MCR610 and it is super sexy.

Richer Sound has mega deals on at the moment for them.

Can't speak for the others! But we're super chuffed :)

Soldato
OP
How much running time have the RS1s had?

Quite a few years, paired with a Rotel 870BX lately and originally with an Audiolab 8000A which i've got to clean the pots on for the last few years and not got around to, touching the volume cuts a channel out sometimes,

Mostly playing Vinyl via a Linn Basik (his Sondek took a walk during a house robbery) You'd think my dad was an audio person but really it was all recommended by mates in the 80s, he had a pair of wharfedale laser 200s on the Audiolab amp for eons.

Last edited:
Associate
the RS1 seems a little bright. I don't disagree with you that it may be a better overall speaker but for my room the BX2 just seems a bit better. The RS1 definetly has a more pronounced mid range though imo and would be better for more vocal music.

Just to say, this is often the case when you move up a range in speakers. They can sound initially very bright compared to cheaper speakers and often it just means they're better balanced. If you really don't like the sound then fair enough but I'd give the RS1 a decent period on audition seeing as there's no massive hurry to give them back.

Associate
Monitor Audio speakers are renowned for being a bit on the bright side, a little too 'hifi', rather than outright musical.
With a 930AX, I would opt for the BX2s- the Rotel was a budget amp, and although great (I have one, too), the RS1 would be a bit wasted on it.

Give yourself at least a week to get used to the new sound, though...
Failing that, some Q Acoustics 2020i or Dali Zensor 1 would do well, although obviously not for free...

Soldato
I wish I could remember which "Silver" 's I have but partnered with Pioneer LX52 they sounded great (even if the Pioneer annoyed for a few reasons so I swapped it out)

Using a Sony 1030 amp they also sound good but not quite as nice (not that surprising given the difference in price of the two amps)

Soldato
OP
Give yourself at least a week to get used to the new sound, though...
Failing that, some Q Acoustics 2020i or Dali Zensor 1 would do well, although obviously not for free...

Have a Q acoustics setup in my lounge, i think the BX2 are a bit better with this amp (tried the 2020i). 2020i fronts, 2000C (not i) Center, 2010i rears and 2070S sub. Finally getting around to replacing my bedroom system with the same, currently 2020i fronts, 2000C centre but mordaunt short MS10i rears, small 8" Paradigm sub (all my subs are set really low so not that important) soon to be 2010i, just trying to timbre match everything though i can't tell the difference lol. fab HT speakers for a small flat. Have a Denon 1911AVR in my bedroom and Denon X500 or something or the other cheapo in my lounge, just for entertaining guests as i watch 90% of movies in bed.
The funny story is my dad told me sod it and keep both as hes going to get proper floorstanders when he does his system over... so looks like i'm getting a lounge stereo too haha.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
BTW any issue with placing speakers side by side like this? Not playing the same thing at anytime, ones the HT and ones the stereo speaker.

9fo1.jpg

Soldato
Id be more worried about someone swinging open that door and knocking them both over! :)

Im sure the may be some slight resonance issue but just trust your ears. Try them on the own (ie move the others out the way) then try them together as above. If no difference then happy days.

Soldato
OP
Sounds fine tbh, no audiophile though lol. Door has a stop and speakers are blu-tacked to the stands, had problems removing the old MS20i from them when i put the 2020i, almost thought i ripped the veneer the blu tack was so strong, so no chance a casual bump would have any effect. As for the stands, even at 100kg i'd be hard pressed to push one of those over even if drunk, very weighted with sand.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just an update.. got a Yamaha AX490 amp and decided to give the RS1s a retry, omg it just kills the BX2 for midrange and top end presentation, much more resolution got a 10" AVI sub doing the bass so bottom end does not matter. Seems when the power goes up they shine.

Back
Top Bottom