Panasonic TX50 GT60B with MacBook Pro via HDMI cable jerky issue - Steam!

Associate
We've just been paid and have treated ourselves to a Panasonic TX50 GT60B television which is AWESOME... buuuuut we have a small issue when trying to play Steam games from our MacBook Pro via HDMI cable on the screen.

Sam has a MacBook Pro 2.6 i7, 8gig Ram, nvidia g-force gt 650M. It runs steam perfectly on the screen and seems pretty decent on my parents 40inch TV buuuuut as soon as we connect the HDMI cable to our new TV and play the likes of The Walking Dead / The Wolf Among Us / Batman etc it becomes somewhat jerky :(

We switched the TV screen mode to "Game Mode" but this made no difference. Boo hiss.

Don't know whether there's a solution or whether the screen is just waaay too big or something silly like that. Anyone have any ideas?!

Fankoo!

Associate
OP
Jerky as in the movement of characters and walking about is jumpy and interrupted... it's... erm... jerky! Not smooth! Sorry, I'm not sure how else to describe it... it's not laggy or long delays, just seems to stutter through!

Rayman Origins is a little smoother playing... so I don't know whether it's specific to the games and the amount of graphic power it requires?!

As said they all run perfectly on the MacBook screen and when testing out the PS4 on it the games ran smoothly on that too!

No idea about the frame rate... is there a way we can test this?

Permabanned
You can download this program for free which will show what frame rate you are getting:

http://www.fraps.com/download.php

It sounds like it might just be low frame rate. I'm guessing the resolution of the TV (1920x1080) is probably a lot higher than the resolution of your Macbook screen (Likely 1440x900 or something) so running the games will be a lot more taxing on the hardware, meaning a lower frame rate. The effect of the low frame rate is probably being exacerbated by the fact that plasma screens display motion perfectly, whereas on an LCD the inherent motion blur would conceal the low frame rate somewhat.

Have you tried turning on or off the motion enhancement on the TV? It's called intelligent frame creation on that set I believe.

Associate
OP
OooOOOooo later on this evening once I have finished some work we will find out the frame rates and let you know! Also will try turning off the motion enhancement too...

You're right on the screen resolutions for both... HUmmmmm...

Back
Top Bottom