Why is digital download more expensive then a physical copy??!

Permabanned
Steam isn't a publisher. Steam doesn't tell publishers how much they should charge. EA is a publisher.

Steam still take a cut and are so much more expensive than cdkey sites. Still don't understand the fanboyism around steam, they started the digital higher than physical prices in the first place

Caporegime
No it because hard copy's are crap because you need to keep the disc in the drive for 95% of games...
Plus you need to restall them one by one everytime you format...

Also I have around 300 games on steam if they were hard copy's where would I be able to find space to keep 300 crappy boxes ...;)

95% of games require the disc in the drive? What games are you playing? If anything I'd say 95% of games can be registered on steam or Origin and then you don't need the disc again unless it's for a reinstall.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Steam still take a cut and are so much more expensive than cdkey sites. Still don't understand the fanboyism around steam, they started the digital higher than physical prices in the first place

The publishers started it.

Good publisher, game isn't overpriced: http://store.steampowered.com/app/239160/

Bad publisher, with a history of overcharging gamers: http://store.steampowered.com/app/213670/

EA, Ubisoft & Activision have been overcharging on Steam since day 1.

Soldato
Agree with KIA this is down to publishers, yet they'll allow physical boxes to be discounted. I can't help but think they're still buying all their music on CDs rather than downloading.

Caporegime
Associate
So why do i get cheaper steam keys from cdkey sites than i can get on steam?

Steam overcharge as well as publishers.

Steam don't set any prices, the owners of the games do.

The reason CD key sites sell them cheaper is that they usually buy boxed stock from countries where it is very cheap to do so and then sell the codes. Which is why these sites are a bit of a grey area in the industry.

Soldato
Steam don't set any prices, the owners of the games do.

Source? The fact that you can get games for different prices from other online retailers e.g. GMG suggests that it's not as simple as that. Steam are not going to just sit there and be told what price to sell games at without having any influence themselves. It'd be a bit like Heinz telling Asda what price to sell beans at.

Associate
Source? The fact that you can get games for different prices from other online retailers e.g. GMG suggests that it's not as simple as that. Steam are not going to just sit there and be told what price to sell games at without having any influence themselves. It'd be a bit like Heinz telling Asda what price to sell beans at.

Me, I work for a publisher who sells games on Steam :)

Just like we set our prices on all other stores.

Associate

Steam is not a retailer though, its a platform. GMG buys games from publishers and then sells to customers, with steam the publisher lists the game and gets paid after the customer has bought it.

Lets say you go to Asda and spend £10 on beans, that money does not go to Heinz, Asda paid them long before they even reached the shelf. Asda can sell the beans for what they like as they have already paid for them. Heinz dont care if Asda sell 3 tins for the price of 1 as Asda have already paid them for 3 tins

Soldato
Me, I work for a publisher who sells games on Steam :)

Just like we set our prices on all other stores.

Steam is not a retailer though, its a platform. GMG buys games from publishers and then sells to customers, with steam the publisher lists the game and gets paid after the customer has bought it.

Ahh, that makes more sense.

Lets say you go to Asda and spend £10 on beans, that money does not go to Heinz, Asda paid them long before they even reached the shelf. Asda can sell the beans for what they like as they have already paid for them. Heinz dont care if Asda sell 3 tins for the price of 1 as Asda have already paid them for 3 tins

To be fair, the suppliers do often get pressured into having to sell goods to the retailers at a reduced price in order to support a promotion as you've described.

Associate
I do also agree that it is annoying that digital prices are often set higher than boxed prices.

I guess the flip side is we often get mega sales where everything is 75% or more off?

Soldato
Steam ripoff prices? Anyone with any sense knows to wait for the next major 'holiday' sale (easter/summer/autumn/winter etc).

But yes, if you can't wait, CDKey sites are the way forward. Got South Park Stick Of Truth pre-ordered on Steam for £23 from Kinguin

Soldato
Lots of reasons. It's not as simple as "no packaging - less cost" unfortunately, there are various factors in the physical retail channels that mean they can sell the games for less. Downloading games is still seen as a convenience for many so they'll pay more for it, therefore there's no great motivation to reduce prices because either someone will pay e.g. £30 for the download, or £25 for the retail copy; either way they've bought the game.

In PC gaming the situation isn't really that bad because there are various platforms/retailers selling download codes now, and PC gaming has so little representation in physical retail that a lot of sales are driven through digital distribution. It's a very different scenario in console gaming though.

This isn't true, there are plenty of options to get digital games cheaper than the suggested retail price, this is why I rarely buy new games from Steam, because other places are often doing Steam copies of games for quite a bit less.

Look at Green Man Gaming, they are regularly doing specials for new and upcoming games, where the discount is usually at least 25% off. Any new or upcoming game that I've been interested in, I've managed to pick up a digital/Steam version for less than the boxed copy.

The actual reason is that on Steam, developers and or publishers set the prices, so they are going to go for the actual RRP, whereas places like GMG will of course be getting the games at a reduced rate, so can afford to cut the prices to be competitive.

Additionally, with the way Sony have allowed other companies to do their own PSN store fronts, there should be change coming with regards to Playstations at least.

Back
Top Bottom