***Dayz: Stand Alone Thread***

Soldato
Wow... didn't see that one coming!!! What a total joke...

Give it a little while for things to blow over and then surely it will be:

"Presenting, from Dean Hall - the maker of the best selling Day-Z (a Dean Hall inc. production) comes Dean Halls greatest work yet. Pay now for exclusive early-access - and he'll definitely see it through this time ;) #DeanHallIsTheGreatest"

What the hell happened? All I can think is that a month or so in it finally dawned on him that re-using the same crappy engine that was blamed for all the fundamental problems the mod had was a mistake... And perhaps being too proud and arrogant to spend some of the colossal cash-grab money on a proper dev. team who could make good on his promises...

It's a real shame, but nobody can really feel cheated as it was all there in black and white on the game's description

Permabanned
Wow... didn't see that one coming!!! What a total joke...

Give it a little while for things to blow over and then surely it will be:

"Presenting, from Dean Hall - the maker of the best selling Day-Z (a Dean Hall inc. production) comes Dean Halls greatest work yet. Pay now for exclusive early-access - and he'll definitely see it through this time ;) #DeanHallIsTheGreatest"

What the hell happened? All I can think is that a month or so in it finally dawned on him that re-using the same crappy engine that was blamed for all the fundamental problems the mod had was a mistake... And perhaps being too proud and arrogant to spend some of the colossal cash-grab money on a proper dev. team who could make good on his promises...

It's a real shame, but nobody can really feel cheated as it was all there in black and white on the game's description

"And it's kind of like cooking in someone else's kitchen: I don't want to be constantly telling Bohemia that this is how I do it and this is the way we do it."

Exactly it's not like BI are acting out of spite when Rocket chose to go ahead with the technical limitations in the Arma 2 engine.

Soldato
I bought standalone on principle of how much I enjoyed DayZ and its subsequent mods and I thought we would get a finished version seen through by the man himself, though I bought Arma 2: CO for £15 I think it was when DayZ mod was fresh and the mod was definitely the reason I bought it as I really liked the idea of it. I still get a lot of use out of Arma 2 for other types of mod so its still worth £15 these days imo, shame its a bit limited and easy to cheat in by skiddies.

Far from a fanboy myself as far as DayZ standalone goes and I'm not someone who usually pre-orders something or buys into an early access but SA and Arma 3 are the only ones I ever have. I bought SA as above on principle of the fun I got out of a free mod, even though I bought A2 to play it. I bought A3 when it was 19.99 / alpha purely because of the fun and enjoyment I got out of A2 and I have every intention of playing the many different mods of A3, altis life has already been well worth taking the gamble on a pre-purchase.

Arma 3 hopefully will go on for years and be as great as Arma 2, its far from it at the moment content wise at least.

DayZ SA just screams that its going to flop now, as if we're 6 months behind a board room decision to run it into the ground, the bonus for them is that they made the money.

I'm already really in the mindset of never pre-ordering or even buying anything even remotely related to rocket now as it doesn't matter how much he spins it with his "gift of the gab" he's still cutting and running, hoping his fanboys will follow and if it flops entirely itll seal the deal. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but we'll see.

Totalbiscuit did a video article on something that is pretty common here, about boycotting pre-orders and bringing back demos and I agreed with this, I hope DayZ SA does flop for this reason and really inspires people to start replying with their wallets.

Soldato
"And it's kind of like cooking in someone else's kitchen: I don't want to be constantly telling Bohemia that this is how I do it and this is the way we do it."

Sorry, this was an awful quote to use, of course when someone HIRES YOU to be LEAD DEV you tell them what to do! Its called leading!

What did he expect, to sit in the corner and hope the team plucks ideas out of thin air?

Soldato
Wow leaving and the game isn't even finished. So I guess the rushed "finished" version will be full of bugs and missing features and there will be a skeleton crew who will have no idea how to fix them.

What a pratt!

That 'skeleton crew' has grown by around 3000% since the early days of the mod.

I'm going to quote the post I made on the official DayZ forums in response to this news:

Why is everyone acting like this is the end of the game? He's not taking your money and running, he's leaving it in the hands of a team of people (around thirty if I recall correctly) he clearly trusts to develop it further. That team has been doing most of the work on it since standalone came out anyway.

I have huge respect for Rocket and for DayZ, it is his baby and it shows that his greatest strength is his creativity. Let me restate that with emphasis; His strength is his creativity. I mean no insult to Rocket when I say this despite it sounding harsh, but it's clear that his greatest talent is put to waste if he's a code-monkey (he himself says he breaks just as much as he fixes when he's working on the game) and he doesn't even seem to play the game as evidenced by his borderline noobish behaviour when he is playing it on his streams. Despite these flaws the concept of the game sprung from his mind and took form. That is a great gift to the PC gaming community at large, with the market being swamped by ****** and unoriginal games, and I am grateful for it.

If Rocket thinks he's done all he can for this game and must move on I respect his decision, I predict he's already working on a new concept for a game that might equally blow us away. I predict this because that's clearly what he does best, and he's established himself as a horse you can bet on when it comes to taking risks other developers and publishers won't and still making it a financial success.

Soldato
Sorry, this was an awful quote to use, of course when someone HIRES YOU to be LEAD DEV you tell them what to do! Its called leading!

What did he expect, to sit in the corner and hope the team plucks ideas out of thin air?

I imagine it's more like

Possibly more experienced BI dev:
"Well let's take a look here... oh dear wow this codebase is a total and utter mess, no wonder the game has all these bugs and issues, I think we should put a feature freeze on immediately and focus on really nailing down stability"

Rocket (sat between two groupie whores he pays to tell him what an amazing developer he is as he peers over his new $700 sunglasses and sips on the finest champagne):
"No no no, what we really need to do asap is motorbike helmets and bases and vehicles and assless leather-chaps!!!"

Soldato
That is a great gift to the PC gaming community at large, with the market being swamped by ****** and unoriginal games, and I am grateful for it.

He has re-released something he already did, it is unoriginal to a certain extent.

If Rocket thinks he's done all he can for this game and must move on I respect his decision

There really isnt a great deal though is there for him to be able to predict a leaving date

Caporegime
its going to be a interesting month now once all this gets in press and magazines , articles.

will content now increase or slow down ? maybe a new project lead will make it better.

Permabanned
Not sure why people are getting so upset, Dean leaving is the best news we can have. Think back to the mod, when Dean left that and gave it over to the community DayZ had some amazing things happen to it, Epoch being the best imo. Yes he had the first idea about zombies and eating beans but the mod is nothing like it was when that idiot was doing it. Get Dean out, release the server files and let the community fix it like the mod.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom