The art of 'moshing'

Soldato
Depends on the atmosphere really.

I was in a pit when watching Motorhead perform ace of spades, not started by myself, but I did join in.

However, I wouldn't do it at a tribute gig, you're there to enjoy the music and the crowd will be completely different to a sweaty festival or some black metal band down at some music academy.

Soldato
How can you even have a mosh pit to that, that's radio 1 fodder :/

I suspect describing the above as a mosh pit is probably stretching the definition somewhat, given there are only about 8 people doing anything.

Can someone explain the thought process?

"I really like this music, I should go bash into people like a drugged up chimpanzee" just doesn't make much sense to me :p

Permabanned
I've just watched the video on the 1st page

My stomach is aching.....im crying with laughter

Never seen anything so stupid.....doesn't seem to be any women there wink wink

Looks like a place inmates go when they have left prison (hence the male on male action)

That's Henry Rollins and Black Flag. One of the most important bands of the 70s and 80s. They've influenced so many artists. Hell, even everyones favourite folky of the minute, Frank Turner has the Black Flag logo tattooed on him and before he was a folky darling to university hipsters, fronted a Hardcore punk band.

Soldato
That's Henry Rollins and Black Flag. One of the most important bands of the 70s and 80s. They've influenced so many artists. Hell, even everyones favourite folky of the minute, Frank Turner has the Black Flag logo tattooed on him and before he was a folky darling to university hipsters, fronted a Hardcore punk band.

looks like an idiot to me

Man of Honour
The older ones didn't know what moshing is? I'm only a little younger than Dimple and I know what it is. Although I agree that an ACDC cover band is not where I'd expect to see it.

Man of Honour
OP
The older ones didn't know what moshing is? I'm only a little younger than Dimple and I know what it is. Although I agree that an ACDC cover band is not where I'd expect to see it.

But remember not a lot of people of my age are like me that listen to all sorts of rock and go and watch various styles.
Most people tend to like and stick to a certain style so if you're an ACDC fan you're likely to like other bands of the same style where you may never get to see moshing.
I was talking to a nurse today who is the same age as me and goes all over the country watching major bands and she had no idea what they were doing.
Mrs Dimple had never seen it until I put You Tube on and asked me if that's the reason I came in two weeks ago all aching after I'd been to a Big Four tribute gig (I had several 30 second goes then got out).

Caporegime
I always felt like mosh pits were for wimps who were too scared to join a fight club(well before the film I thought they were too scared to go join a boxing gym/martial arts club, etc :p ).

However, in reality music can both provoke an emotional response and/or seem different if you are in a different state when you hear it. Not completely mental to think that heavy metal can put you in a high adrenaline, angry, aggressive state... so people acting angry/aggressive when listening to angry/aggressive music isn't exactly ridiculous.

Permabanned
no, but they should respect the fact that not everyone wants to be kicked and pushed :roll eyes:

you want to act like an idiot, be my guest, but not near me thank you :D
Depends where you are standing, if you are front and centre then you'd be the one not showing respect.

That video, perfect example of what I was saying - girl in a pit, gets trampled, instant roid rage - entirely her silly fault yet the kid gets jumped.

There's nothing stupid about moshing, it's just dancing in sympathy to fast aggressive music.
Voguing isn't for everyone

Last edited:
Soldato
I've seen moshing at gigs where I wouldn't expect it, I've seen people react badly to moshers bumping into them. Generally speaking I don't see it as a big problem though unless people who don't want to get involved are getting shoved into the pit or small people are getting squashed/hurt. Most of the mosh pits I've seen are just a bit of 'aggressive fun' and people actually look after each other pretty well, being very quick to pick people up if anyone falls over etc and checking people are okay.

Soldato
Fun times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH1jrviPX6Y

The only reason I can see for engaging in such behaviour is severe mental impairment (probably only worsened by partaking in such behaviour)

Call that a mosh pit? Far too much open space - more like amateur Sumo night. Also looked as though it was a long way from the band. About the only thing they were doing right was helping each other up.

Soldato
Hahaha, this guy's a legend. Notice the 'hardcore dancers' around him. People who want to do that at a crowded indoor show need to take it away from groups of others trying to enjoy themselves... preferably out the door, on the bus, and all the way back home. Then leave it there.

Back
Top Bottom