Problems with Asus Rampage IV Extreme

Associate
Ran into some a bit of a problem yesterday with this motherboard. I'm not 100% sure it is the motherboard but all the problems seemed to start there.

To cut a long story short, keeping the system at stock settings the RAM produces lots of errors at it's rated speed of 2400Mhz. Reducing the speed to 2133Mhz reduces the error count slightly, 1866Mhz further drops the error count and 1600Mhz produces no errors but the system can still crash.

Full specs of the system are:

Core i7 4930k @ stock
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Avexir 16GB (4x4GB) 2400MHz
GeForce GTX 680
Samgsung EVO 500GB SSD
Corsair AX850 Power Supply

Going back to how the problems started. Yesterday the system refused to boot up any more. Checking the boot code shown on the motherboard reported "0d" which the manual showed "Reserved for future AMI SEC error codes".

Checking this online led me to find several threads where the board's ASM1061 Storage OPROM was causing the problem. The suggested fix was to disconnect all SATA drives, disable it then reconnect them, but my system still reported 0d after removing them all.

I noticed there was a new BIOS for the board, so I used the USB Flashback feature to update it from 4701 to 4802. The system booted up fine after the update, so I reconnected all the drives and put the stock settings back in.

As soon as Windows booted, everything started crashing. Games would crash in seconds. Firefox made the computer BSOD with an "IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal" message. Next reboot Windows crashed again with an ACPI error. Then crashed again pointing to the display driver as the problem.

Ran Memtest and it flagged up over 500 errors in half a pass, so I did a CMOS reset and tested again this time with no errors. This is where I found out that the RAM will not run at it's rated speed.

What makes me think it is the motherboard is because I have not had a single problem since building this machine at Christmas, then as soon as the 0d error code showed up forcing me to BIOS update everything's gone bad.

If anyone can shed some light on what I may have overlooked, of if they've had any similar problems please let me know.

Thanks

Caporegime
They simply could be faulty or poor BIOS support hence the errors,I've seen some avexir work fine on a gigabyte z77 board and another exact same kit not boot at all

Would be good to try another make/model if you could and see if the errors persist

Associate
OP
Don't have anything to test with except a Kingston 24GB kit which is only 1600Mhz rated so I can't get any clear idea if it is the board or CPU at fault.

Caporegime
could try it and see if the crashes stop

it shouldn't crash or error at all upto 2133mhz imo,only above that id expect any errors and those would be cured with a voltage bump

your also getting errors with all the sticks which is strange,usually it would be one/two sticks that are faulty

id still guess at it being poor bios support

Associate
OP
The strange thing is the faulting address is always within the first 500MB or the last 500MB per stick. One thing I didn't rule out were faulty slots so I will investigate that tomorrow. Problem with the BIOS was what I thought, but I'm stuck with that as it will not let me flash back to 4701

Back
Top Bottom