***Dayz: Stand Alone Thread***

Don
[TFU] Thegoon84;25906870 said:
They've not be insults... its just harmless banter!

i think many think its real hate or not banter and it doesn't translate well over the internets nevermind. admins dont probably know the humour or banter we speak of or understand its just a bit of fun which stems from the very games we talk about.

as to rockets transition it has become apparent that he hasn't really been capable of handling the project to its best.

with the core of it being arma it shouldn't be too hard to finish with the 99 percent same team anyway doing it.

if you look back rocket couldn't even get a table lamp to turn on :p .

Unfortunately, you're wrong;

saying along the lines of:

You need medical advice, you're so angry and bitter, you're depressed. Such crazy internet people shouldn't be allowed to post... IS insults.

I've paraphrased and made no mention of the original poster, as everyone is guilty as each other and this is what I will stamp out.

Associate
My game keeps randomly crashing next time it does I'm gonna get some screens it's see if I can work out why

It crashed when I was walking up some stairs in a hospital and I fell out and died

Have not had a crash in-game yet but my machine was fairly recently rebuilt.

I do have crashes or lockups when exiting but I am guessing this is mainly due to me [ALT]+[TAB]ing to look at the DayZDB map.

THe spawn locations on the DayZBD map seem to be pretty inaccutate in some places. In the West airfield I have never found anything in the tents to the west, I have only ever found a few items in the two story lookout posts. This is even just after a server restart.

Last night was a pants day... quite literally. Seems the glove have gone and now there are pants everywhere. Not a top to be found though... Got some nice add-ons for the M4 and stacks of ammo but of course, no m4... Found a FXN which I used to replace my Magnum. I prefer the aiming, larger clip and the load / unload and mag refill just seem to be significantly faster than other guns I have tried.

Went to the Tower on Green Hill. That is quite nice but I wish they would let us climb to the top. Same with the radio masts, the ladder is there but you cannot climb it.

Working my way down to the SW military and small airbase. Only thing that I would really like at this point is a scope for the SKS, a TKO jacket to match my TKO pants, possibly an m4.

Worst moment of last night... changed my green cowboy hat for a brown one... decision very much regretted. It no longer matches my ensemble and I think my female character is likely to rebel :D.

RB

Associate
I've only been playing this a couple of weeks but in that time I've certainly had my money's worth and am still enjoying it so whatever comes of it, I'm going to be happy. But everyone is entitled to set their own expectations for a game in alpha that costs £20

Also, given the popularity, if this project is a failure, there will be multiple clones (already are I suppose) until someone hits it bang on.

Associate
The game is Alpha and you are allowed early access to it despite being advised not to buy the game. I don't understand how people can moan about it current state :confused:
I think its great that you get to see how the game is developing and take part with bug spotting etc. Don't forget that not all changes can be seen.

If you want to learn the game in great detail watch Sacriel on twitch livestreaming each night. Him, Jon and Break attack the air fields up north, great fun to watch. They failed last night :D

http://www.twitch.tv/sacriel/profile
http://www.twitch.tv/ngotie/profile Jon
http://www.twitch.tv/break71/profile

Soldato
The game is Alpha and you are allowed early access to it despite being advised not to buy the game. I don't understand how people can moan about it current state :confused:
I think its great that you get to see how the game is developing and take part with bug spotting etc. Don't forget that not all changes can be seen.

People can moan about it because they've been made to pay full price...

Plenty of places have offered open alpha or beta testing in the past, but devs used to have enough respect for people's time not to wish to charge them for the privilege. In fact it was actually more like they were paying you for giving up your time to help them develop their game, and your payment was in the form of the fun and excitement of being part of the process...

They took the risk that if their ideas or team weren't up to scratch then they might make an end product that completely bombed and lost them money... and I feel like that made them work a lot harder - their jobs and reputation depended on it!

But now it seems the in-thing is to just go the early-access/kickstarter type route, put all the financial risk on the players, charge them for the time they are already giving up to help with testing, slap ass-covering disclaimers on everything to preserve their reputation, and then if nothing ever comes of the project - who cares? The money is in the bank by then

I'm not saying this approach can't work, but a developer going this route should rightly expect a higher amount of criticism and entitlement on the part of the players - who have paid cash based on the promises they made

Caporegime
Unfortunately, you're wrong;

saying along the lines of:

You need medical advice, you're so angry and bitter, you're depressed. Such crazy internet people shouldn't be allowed to post... IS insults.

I've paraphrased and made no mention of the original poster, as everyone is guilty as each other and this is what I will stamp out.

in moderators eyes yes i do understand that what you others may not understand is in dayz a lot of us play or have played together for a few years now. so while a lot may appear vicious or not fun it is the opposite of what you think .

gaming banter is part and parcel of multiplayer games. while i understand you have a job to moderate forums and keep them to " family safe " its part of gaming that is part of the games most play.

no one is mad and many don't know the personalities who post so from a layman or fresh reader it may appear as a attack which i get. just don't go to heavy on banter . its like speaking another language if you don't understand it how can you say or understand what is meant ? its only face value being gone on. no worries the banter will stop.

this isn't a argument more just showing you know no intent is meant its just a laugh. so hopefully you understand this.

now back on topic dayz.

the experimental patch went live last night quite a few new things were added i would suggest some play experimental as you often get to see stuff a week or two early on it :cool:

Soldato

Plenty of places have offered open alpha or beta testing in the past, but devs used to have enough respect for people's time not to wish to charge them for the privilege. In fact it was actually more like they were paying you for giving up your time to help them develop their game, and your payment was in the form of the fun and excitement of being part of the process...

They took the risk that if their ideas or team weren't up to scratch then they might make an end product that completely bombed and lost them money... and I feel like that made them work a lot harder - their jobs and reputation depended on it!

But now it seems the in-thing is to just go the early-access/kickstarter type route, put all the financial risk on the players, charge them for the time they are already giving up to help with testing, slap ass-covering disclaimers on everything to preserve their reputation, and then if nothing ever comes of the project - who cares? The money is in the bank by then

I'm not saying this approach can't work, but a developer going this route should rightly expect a higher amount of criticism and entitlement on the part of the players - who have paid cash based on the promises they made

It's a pre order, with a pre order bonus of being able to access early builds. It's also not full price. Bohemia did this with ArmA 3 too, and it's been gold for a while now.

Stop moaning.

Soldato
Neither of the above justify expecting the cash up front to me...

Calling it "a pre-order with a bonus" is just clever marketing on their part - they were hardly going to say "you take the risk and give us the cash up front, and we'll also get you to do our testing for us for free, okay?" - it probably wouldn't sell it quite so well on the store page :p

Plenty of games have taken multiple years to produce in the past and developers have been more than willing to use their own cash to pay for the development - with some confidence and faith in their own ability to deliver a game that will make it back...

Soldato
Neither of the above justify expecting the cash up front to me...

Calling it "a pre-order with a bonus" is just clever marketing on their part - they were hardly going to say "you take the risk and give us the cash up front, and we'll also get you to do our testing for us for free, okay?" - it probably wouldn't sell it quite so well on the store page :p

Plenty of games have taken multiple years to produce in the past and developers have been more than willing to use their own cash to pay for the development - with some confidence and faith in their own ability to deliver a game that will make it back...
They don't "expect" the cash up front, you aren't forced in to it. Calling it a pre-order with a bonus isn't clever marketing, it's just the truth, you are pre-ordering the game and as a bonus for showing early faith in the project, you receive a discount and access to early builds of games.

If you think "plenty" of games have taken multiple years in the past to develop, maybe you should stop trying to talk authoritatively about games development?

It's uncommon for a game not to take multiple years to develop, especially a game of this kind. This is in part, the reason why people are moaning about DayZ, they literally have no idea what it takes to develop a game, what goes in to it and the sort of process and time scales involved to actually take a game from its beginning to its end.

They are also using their own cash, they have the BI behind them which whilst being an independent developer, are a fairly large and wealthy independent developer. Dean does not recommend people buy now, that's his official stance on it because of the incomplete state of the game, however for those that are interested, there is a choice.

They have done this so that the people who are interested in the game can shape the way it develops and make suggestions for content and other things.

Development times of 5 years+ are not uncommon for games with less scope, so to reiterate my point previously, stop moaning.

Last edited:
Soldato

Yeah okay poor choice of words perhaps but my point still stands

And spoffle, are you really pedantically calling me out on the exact meaning of the term "plenty"... It just means a large amount of games, which you yourself confirm, and I'm not going to be drawn into an argument over that detail.

Also whilst I have spoken about the specifics of developing stuff earlier in the thread I don't think it's fair to say I'm trying to be authoritative about development here - all I said was in the past developers have been less quick to exploit the paid-for early-access method

Dean doesn't recommend people buy now because it's a handy statement to fall back on if the game never amounts to anything - you can't claim a refund and say the game isn't fit for purpose if they implied it wasn't in the first place

If Bohemia are so large and wealthy then that makes the fact that they weren't prepared to finance the whole development themselves even worse... I don't disagree with letting people play it - just with charging them to do so, when as you claim they are so amazing they could do it themselves... Can you not conceive for a second that £15 million+ or however much it was at last count wouldn't make them feel a bit better about taking the risk?

Soldato
Yeah okay poor choice of words perhaps but my point still stands

And spoffle, are you really pedantically calling me out on the exact meaning of the term "plenty"... It just means a large amount of games, which you yourself confirm, and I'm not going to be drawn into an argument over that detail.

I'm not being pedantic, and it's not pedantic to highlight that you don't know what you're talking about.

Your use of plenty is true, however in a different context. Plenty of non-complex games certainly do have shorter development times, however for games like DayZ, it's delusional to expect anything less than the sort of development time it's been in.

A game of this scope, as others, have development times in the multiples of years, this is generally the rule, it's extremely uncommon for games of such scope to have development times of less than years. As I've said, 5+ years is fairly common depending on the complexity of a game, and 3-4 years is probably an average time scale for a fairly large game with a large scope.

Also whilst I have spoken about the specifics of developing stuff earlier in the thread I don't think it's fair to say I'm trying to be authoritative about development here - all I said was in the past developers have been less quick to exploit the paid-for early-access method

If you didn't insist that it's taking too long, I wouldn't have said it, but you are insisting it's taking too long, and I don't think you quite understand what "too long" actually means in this instance as it's clear you don't really get time scales when it comes to games development.

Dean doesn't recommend people buy now because it's a handy statement to fall back on if the game never amounts to anything - you can't claim a refund and say the game isn't fit for purpose if they implied it wasn't in the first place

Why are you so cynical? His statement is in reference to people like you, who don't understand games development, and who think they are buying a complete product and treat it like a game to be played and have moans and rants when it doesn't work how they want. For people like you, you're missing the point.

I'm not saying you shouldn't "play it", however people are seemingly under the impression that they've bought a complete game, despite the many warnings of "THIS IS AN ALHPA RELEASE AND WILL NOT ALWAYS WORK TO YOUR SATISFACTION WHILST IN ALPHA".

You are given a choice, some people (myself included) have taken this choice, and I understand the caveats of playing an incomplete game for fun.

If Bohemia are so large and wealthy then that makes the fact that they weren't prepared to finance the whole development themselves even worse... I don't disagree with letting people play it - just with charging them to do so, when as you claim they are so amazing they could do it themselves... Can you not conceive for a second that £15 million+ or however much it was at last count wouldn't make them feel a bit better about taking the risk?

You're making assumptions on this, based on the assumption that they'd know how many sales they'd make with it. Of course they were preperared to finance it, that's how this works they can't have nothing in the budget for the game and then go "we'll just get the money from the hundreds of thousands of pre-orders we know we'll sell"

They did the same pre-order early access bonuses with ArmA3, people are not being forced in to buying, they make a choice to do so based on a multitude of information available.

Associate
I think the "problem" with this game (if thats what you want to call it) and the reason it seems to polarise opinion so much is that peoples expectations are so high.
The concept and openess of the game allows everyone to have there opinion on where it should be going and you have to give Rocket credit for that.

Personally I can see it getting to be a pretty good all round PvE and PvP game by the end of this year, I think BI will then give it another 6 months to see how the sales go then open it up to the modding community, someone will come up with a mod with a slight spin that will become popular and they will get another load of game sales.....its seems to be their buisness model and it is a sensible one as far as I can see.

I would like to see some new stuff abit sooner but am realistic enough to realise that 30 people is not a big development team so we have to wait a while

That being said I still dont feel like I have wasted £20, I will play for a while then give it a rest as it does get pretty samey, but i know I will come back to it in a few weeks to some new stuff

Soldato
spoffle, I don't want a huge argument that has already been had in this thread...

Please indicate where I said (sorry, insisted) it was taking too long... I'm under no illusions that these things can take time, but what does that have to do with their decision to charge people up-front instead of doing some sort of free open beta?

I'm not failing to understand anything, I get what they are doing and have some idea why they are doing it, I even said it's an approach that can work in one of my earlier posts, but just because you think it's a great way to go about things doesn't mean I have to

And please let's drop all the e-peen "you don't know what you're talking about" crap - you have no idea what my background is or anyone else's for that matter and it detracts from your own argument every time you attempt to steer it towards comparing who knows what

Associate
240 hours for 20 quid

Someone do the math, because thats a bargain imo.

9 hours for 20quid here, I don't math well so you'll have to work that one out for me :p

I just couldn't get into it past that, it all got very samey very quickly.
Find gear, find other people, shoot other people, find their gear, get shot, repeat. I just failed to see the enjoyment as there's not really much to do beyond that :confused:

I played about 6 hours of that solo and another 3ish with a friend so maybe the enjoyment comes more from grouping, I dunno.

Soldato

It's your choice to buy into the alpha, if you don't like the idea, don't buy into it.
Stick with the mod and stop moaning.

When it is released officially it will cost more.

Back
Top Bottom