***Dayz: Stand Alone Thread***

Caporegime
upto 4000 i believe is the limit really on this engine.

the engine and arma is mainly the problem. would like to see someone try it on avalanche engine myself which can handle it a lot better but this is the engine we have and what they have to work with.

thing is zombies are now respawning don't know if you are playing this or played experimental marker.

zombies are more lethal and on you quickly. few optimizations and they will be really dangerous. no more just run in buildings hide like in mod these are straight on you one hit you bleeding instantly.

we would all love 1000 strong hordes roaming towns like elktro and churno but with arma engine this isnt happening ever. you know that i know it.

also for those who didnt see this (rockets twitter)

Discovered what could be one of the major causes of FPS slowdowns on client in cities. Will report on progress later

reason = its actually not the items they get culled very aggressively. a GPU issue with how we are rendering proxies in large buildings

Last edited:
Soldato
What they should do is break away from the Arma engine which has been cited numerous times in the past by players and even by the developers themselves during the mod phase as the main cause of bugs, issues and limitations and make a game that would stand, alone - oh hey! They could call it DayZ Standalone :p

Soldato

4. Best option. Headless client mode. All AI is controlled by another instance of the server running in conjunction with the main server. You could have thousands of zeds on the server being controlled quite well with this. Leaving the main server to run the players, inven etc...

Number 4 is the only way to run the number of zombies in game that the player base wants to see. Remembering when it first came out, The max amount of zombies on my server at one point was 2500, that's what we want to see. Until then it's a scavenge point and shoot game!

Agreed, I can see headless client being the only way that you're going to get as high a number of zombies as you want on this engine. The difference between the AI with HC and without is staggering.

Permabanned
I agree that the game is kinda going in the wrong direction, it does just feel like a deathmatch on a huge map with the odd zombies here and there to make things awkward.

The Zombies should be the main problem with coming across other players a very close second problem. How do they do this....? Well they need to dramatically increase the zombie count, dont matter if the zombies are aggressive or complete idiots, there needs to be hundreds of them in each city. Just having a few zombies here and there and making them aggressive only is not the way forward.

Like i said at the moment the game feels like deathmatch on a very large map with no real survival aspects at all. The only thing you need to survive is other players as everything else is dead easy to get around.

I too am looking forward to Arma 3 Epoch.

Soldato
Yeah, I'd want Left4Dead style swarms and in a similar vein, the ability to stitch up other groups by firing at a nearby car and setting its alarm off, for example! :)

Caporegime
we all want that kind of swarms hordes but you cant have everything. theyre is always somekind of set back . that's why there is very few engines which this kind of idea can be made on. unless you build one from scratch.

Soldato
^^ Okay so rather than research the options before starting (and charging people cash on promises they knew couldn't be kept) the best solution is to just go with an engine which had already been established was not going to be good enough :confused:

Soldato
we all want that kind of swarms hordes but you cant have everything. theyre is always somekind of set back . that's why there is very few engines which this kind of idea can be made on. unless you build one from scratch.

Any MMO engine would have worked fine, where there are 1000's of creatures per massive island, performing complicated scripts in many cases.. calculating thousands of numbers and relaying them to an istance that can handle 150+ players per instance and then when that instance is full a new one is created. Not to mention all the other players connected to the servers.

Not much forethought went into the idea. We'll start with this and see if we can fix it, is the general idea about DayZ.

Caporegime
Breaking Point has hordes of zombies swarming inside houses if you keep shooting, now that's how it should be done!

similar engine literally same limitations. so it wont have anymore than what sa will. also made by few modders. sa upto 50 man professional team .

soon you will see the differences but yes ...its been too slow to get where we as players want it to be.

Soldato
"soon" maybe in 6 months, after they are done adding dogs and hunting, that wont work because of bugs.

These "professional" developers are absolutely useless. Normal Alpha; fix bugs, add new content, fix bugs, add new, fix bugs.
DayZ Alpha; add content and bugs, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Soldato
Antony101: Maybe I am being too patient, but I don't have an issue with the speed of development. I've been with the project since the very beginning of the mod so maybe I just know they can be slow to fix issues or address things I personally hate, then again there are more people on the team now.

To say all they do is add bugs though and not fix any is simply non-factual, the current version on experimental branch has 36 fixes in it and that's only the ones they wrote in the patch notes (which often do not cover every new change). They're not even just minor changes, stuff like fixing the scopes and flashlights has been something people have wanted since day one.

Soldato
I think the point anthony was making is that normally you fix all the outstanding bugs (within reason - the known about ones at least) before you start adding extra features (because they will mask existing bugs and/or introduce new ones)

Soldato
Antony101: Maybe I am being too patient, but I don't have an issue with the speed of development. I've been with the project since the very beginning of the mod so maybe I just know they can be slow to fix issues or address things I personally hate, then again there are more people on the team now.

To say all they do is add bugs though and not fix any is simply non-factual, the current version on experimental branch has 36 fixes in it and that's only the ones they wrote in the patch notes (which often do not cover every new change).

I've no issue with the progress, I'm irritated by the complete and utter ineptitude shown by the developers though.

They do not need to add new features, they need to get the existing mod features in first and fix every known bug before adding anything new. Getting ill from putting on some trousers isn't a useful feature if trousers don't respawn. Adding dogs and deer doesn't help if they don't respawn.

The game can't even handle a few zombies in cities for some reason, the mod can and he says he's done loads of optimising? The standalone game even though it has been "optimised" has absolutely nothing in it. It's got about 10% of the content the mod has and for some reason he's choosing to add new things.

Caporegime
^^ Okay so rather than research the options before starting (and charging people cash on promises they knew couldn't be kept) the best solution is to just go with an engine which had already been established was not going to be good enough :confused:

so you expect the bi people to pay to use someone elses engine?

Soldato
I think the point anthony was making is that normally you fix all the outstanding bugs (within reason - the known about ones at least) before you start adding extra features (because they will mask existing bugs and/or introduce new ones)

It's not my intention to get argumentative, but my understanding of the development process is that the alpha phase is for implementing the core features of the game and then the beta phase is for polish and squashing bugs. Maybe I am wrong but a quick look at Wikipedia (lol) seems to describe DayZ quite well:

"Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished.[151] A game in alpha is feature complete, that is, game is playable and contains all the major features.[152] These features may be further revised based on testing and feedback.[151] Additional small, new features may be added, similarly planned, but unimplemented features may be dropped.[152] Programmers focus mainly on finishing the codebase, rather than implementing additions.[150] Alpha occurs eight to ten months before code release.[151]"

This adds up with what the dev team has said about the development roadmap (as unclear as it is), they want stuff like hunting and vehicles in by the end of alpha.

I've no issue with the progress, I'm irritated by the complete and utter ineptitude shown by the developers though.

They do not need to add new features, they need to get the existing mod features in first and fix every known bug before adding anything new. Getting ill from putting on some trousers isn't a useful feature if trousers don't respawn. Adding dogs and deer doesn't help if they don't respawn.

The game can't even handle a few zombies in cities for some reason, the mod can and he says he's done loads of optimising? The standalone game even though it has been "optimised" has absolutely nothing in it. It's got about 10% of the content the mod has and for some reason he's choosing to add new things.

The optimisation hasn't been done yet. In his recent live streams Dean Hall mentioned that he has had damning feedback from hardware manufacturers and that they have identified bags of room for optimisations to be made. As for features they are currently working on core stuff like respawning (zombie respawning is on a trial run as we speak, on experimental) and the hunting of game is going to be a core component of the game so alpha is definitely the phase in which it should be implemented.

Back
Top Bottom