Ceiling Fans

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I'm going to be changing most of my lighting to LED down-lighters soon and thought I'd put in some ceiling fans at the same time as my flat can get very hot in the summer.

I know next to nothing about ceiling fans.

What are the good brands?

Where's the best place to buy from?

Anything I should look out for?

I'm looking to get 3 fans and they should be quiet in operation.

Budget - it really depends, let's say £200 per fan for now.

Soldato
Can't really advise on brands as we have a B&Q one in our bedroom that has large energy saving bulbs. To be honest it's a nice enough unit and certainly in the summer it is SUCH a nice thing to have in a bedroom, if you have the ceiling clearance that is!

We're actually going to be putting downlights in the bedroom soon so will be replacing it for a fan-only unit so this thread is quite topical for me too.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
OP
That's a point, I had better measure how high my ceiling is. Being a modern flat the ceiling is lower than average.

In 2 of the rooms I'll be fitting down-lighters and controlling them by wall switches and z-wave but in the bedroom I haven't decided if I want down-lighters or not yet.

I'm concerned about the glare when looking up from bed.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
OP
Fantasia one of the best know fans, most fans can be flush fitting or on a drop rod, & remote operation.

http://www.fantasiaceilingfans.com/

Also look at Hunter fans.
http://www.hunterfan.co.uk/

And this place.
https://www.ceilingfanstore.co.uk/
Thanks for the info. I'll have a good look through them tomorrow.

I've just removed a couple of white b&q ones from a new house. You can have them if you fancy a trip to solihulll.
Thank you very much for the offer but I'm going to go with new ones which match my decor.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
OP
Struggling to find modern looking fans within budget.

The main problem seems to be that I need a flush-fitting ceiling fan as my ceiling is only 8ft high.

This black one would go ok in my bedroom which has black furniture and curtains.
http://www.ceilingfanstore.co.uk/elite-range/78-fantasia-115083-zeta-ceiling-fan-52-matt-black.html

This one would look good in the lounge where I got a lot of wooden furniture and brown sofas.
http://www.ceilingfanstore.co.uk/elite-range/77-fantasia-115073-zeta-ceiling-fan-52-brushed-nickel.html

They do take me quite over budget though and I still need a 3rd fan for home-office.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Unless you live in a Georgian mansion, avoid the ones with built in lighting, they just end up being too low and you'll keep banging them.

I'd screw it to a bit of 25mm ply fitted/glued between the joists rather than just into one.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
OP
Yeah my preference is to have one without lights as I'm fitting down-lighters at the same time, however that does limit my choice a bit. The ones I linked to before do have lights but they are fairly low profile and I think you can blank them off also.

That's a good suggest re: joists, thanks.

The americans are spoilt for choice!

Last edited:
Soldato
We have a Hunter industrie II ceiling fan in brushed chrome, its hands down one of the best things I've ever bought. Its massive, looks great, built like a tank, is just phenomenal in summer and winter and near silent.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
OP
Yes I like that one but works out pretty expensive when you add a remote also.

What's the drop from ceiling to bottom of blade and ceiling to lowest point of the fan? I've only got an 8ft high ceiling.

Soldato
Our ceilings are 2550-2600 (8ft 4-5). Inclunded are a couple of mounting options, one of which has no drop rod. The limits are in the instructions which youcan find online, if not ill dig them out. The remote is well worth the money btw.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
OP
Which remote you got?

The only dimensions I can find say the blade drop is 14.43" (36.65cm) which makes it unsuitable for an 8ft ceiling.

Even the low-profile ones are a 12" drop leaving less than that between blade and my head.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
OP
I'll need to find out the exact dimensions before I purchase. The drop-rod doesn't look that long anyway on the photo.

Hadn't realised the 3 Industrie fans are all priced differently. I had been looking at the graphite one for the bedroom which is £394. I think I'll go with the Zeta black one for the bedroom at £360 inc. remote and consider the brushed chrome Industrie fan for lounge.

Back
Top Bottom