Do I take a permanent job where I am unhappy at or a temporary job where I am happy at?

Associate
So I am in a dilemma of sorts. I am currently working through an agency at a Lidl warehouse as an order picker. I previously worked at a joinery depot on a production line making kitchen units. The opportunity in the last week has come up for me to return to the joinery depot under the agency. However a few days ago I was told I would be offered a permanent position at Lidl starting this Monday.

Option 1: Lidl warehouse.
-Pay starts at £6.70/hour raising 50p per hour per year I believe maxing out after 5 years.
-The hours are terrible, 12:00-20:30 each day (the so called "dead mans shift") with one 30 minute break. This can mean I miss out on a lot of stuff that the family do.
-The work is okay, but can be very boring. The supervisors like to keep social interaction at a minimum to increase output.
-A rule was recently put in to effect where if the work is not completed come 8:30PM, you stay until it is finished or receive a disciplinary for leaving.
-Days off are unpredictable, they can be any two days of the week. The only guarantee I have is that every other week I will have a day off on the weekend, although I don't have a say in which day.
-Poor working conditions in my opinion.
-The position is permanent (very important factor in my opinion).
-Did I mention no extra pay for working overtime?
-I am unhappy doing this job but it is where a few of my friends are at.

Option 2: Joinery Depot

(full details unknown until I attend an interview)

-Starting pay is unknown, but will be higher than what I am on now, it is likely to be around £8 per hour as I was told I would be starting off on more than I was the last time I was there. Starting wage will rise to £11.50 after three months of work.
-The hours are one week 06:00-14:00, the next week 22:00-06:00, and the next 14:00-22:00, then back to 06:00-14:00. The days are Monday to Friday and Saturday/Sunday off. Breaks are one 30 minute break and one 15 minute break.
-Extra pay for working overtime (including double time on Sundays).
-Bonuses will be included in my pay, along with free hot meals from the canteen.
-I am guaranteed 20 hours work per week, although most weeks it will be the usual 40 hours.
-The work is good and varied as there is multiple tasks to do. People rotate jobs every hour so you are never too bored. Either way all jobs are easy and effortless.
-Good working conditions in my opinion and less pressure to perform.
-The position is temporary ongoing. Contract is rumored to last up until November (so 9 months).
-No friends I know work here although I got friendly with a few people the last time I worked here.

Keep in mind I am only young at 19 years old with no responsibilities other than rent. Which option would you choose and why?

Caporegime
I'm assuming the Lidl "stay until it's done" rule involves them paying you to stay, otherwise that's pretty hilariously illegal.

Associate
OP
I'm assuming the Lidl "stay until it's done" rule involves them paying you to stay, otherwise that's pretty hilariously illegal.

Yes they do pay you, although because I do not have a copy of the contract I don't know if it contains a clause regarding mandatory overtime.

Soldato
The supervisors like to keep social interaction at a minimum to increase output.
A rule was recently put in to effect where if the work is not completed come 8:30PM, you stay until it is finished or receive a disciplinary for leaving.
Did I mention no extra pay for working overtime?

Dear Lidl.

**** you, i'll take the temp job and my chances, thanks.

Caporegime
Why is this even a question? Take the job where you're going to learn something and earn more while you're doing it.

Man of Honour
Yes they do pay you, although because I do not have a copy of the contract I don't know if it contains a clause regarding mandatory overtime.

Contract will likely have some "may need to do some extra hours" rammed in with a "needs of the business" clause in there.

I see the 2nd job involves a night shift - do you know you will get on with that? its not for everyone.

Soldato
The first job has nothing in favour. It leads nowhere in life.

The second one (although we have no idea what it is about) sounds a bit better, and MAY lead you somewhere. You have a MUCH higher wage, and 9 months there is approx 12/15 months at Lidl (depending on your Sunday hours and overtime).

No brainer for me. Job no. 2. If job 1 led somewhere, I would go with that, but you don't want to be a lidl worker all your life!

Associate
OP
Contract will likely have some "may need to do some extra hours" rammed in with a "needs of the business" clause in there.

I see the 2nd job involves a night shift - do you know you will get on with that? its not for everyone.

I said in the first few sentences that I have worked the second job previously under the agency. I would be returning back to the same job. I done the job for three months of the rotating shifts which I done no problem. I actually preferred the night shift, although it only came around every third week.

Permabanned
Joinery is a skill, stop wasting time doing unskilled work.

Being unhappy for the majority of your waking life is a serious issue, don't try and ignore this.

Associate
OP
The second one (although we have no idea what it is about) sounds a bit better, and MAY lead you somewhere.

I didn't really expand on it that much. The work is on a production line manufacturing kitchen units. This can involve assembling the units, stapling them, or loading the finished units onto pallets. It is pretty much the same situation as job one in terms of no progression into a better position as there is none.

Man of Honour
I said in the first few sentences that I have worked the second job previously under the agency. I would be returning back to the same job. I done the job for three months of the rotating shifts which I done no problem. I actually preferred the night shift, although it only came around every third week.

Wasn't sure if you'd done the same shifts or not, I wish I'd never done a job with a night shift myself, my sleeping pattern has never been the same since even years on :S (though it was always a bit poor).

Soldato
You're also young, as you say, with few financial responsibilities - take the temporary job if you can get it. 9 months of enjoyable work vs permanent soul-draining labour. You can keep looking during those 9 months, and as long as you put money aside in case things don't work out, then you'd be in a better position (at the very least, mentally).

Associate
I would take the temp job. Doing something you prefer and more experience in that field for any future opportunities.

And as others have mentioned if you find yourself jobless at the end it isn't too bad given your young age so not much too lose.

Associate
Definitely go for the second job. From what you've said it sounds much better than the lidl job. If (unlike me) you can put a bit aside incase the contract runs out and you're between jobs for a bit then it's a no brainer.

Man of Honour
Joiner job all day every day:

-More money
-Trade skill
-Good conditions

When the contract runs out you will probably be able to find another supermarket job if you really need to. A job being permanent is much less of an advantage if it isn't something you would be happy doing long term.

Back
Top Bottom