• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

amd 8350

Associate
will the fact that the amd 8350 only uses pcie 2.0s be a bottleneck for crossfire or tri-fire 290 set ups? Does anyone have experience with set ups close to this?

Associate
I dont think anything actually saturates a PCI-E2 x16 channel yet, so that wont be a problem

The problem would probably be the processor itself. In well threaded applications, it would be fine, but in poorly threaded ones would definitely bottleneck. My 8350 bottlenecks my single 290x world of tanks and arma

Soldato
will the fact that the amd 8350 only uses pcie 2.0s be a bottleneck for crossfire or tri-fire 290 set ups? Does anyone have experience with set ups close to this?

990fx boards can run duel cards at PCIe 2.0 x16/x16 speeds
Intel Z87 boards run PCIe 3.0 at x8/x8 (except in more expensive boards)

PCIe 3.0 at x8 is the same bandwidth as PCIe 2.0 at x16 (since PCIe 3.0 is just double-bandwidth PCIe 2.0, in effect)

As for 8350 bottlenecking SLI/crossfire: some games yes, some games no;

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/fx-8350-core-i7-3770k-gaming-bottleneck,review-32616-3.html
And:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/crossfire-sli-scaling-bottleneck,review-32668-4.html
(both have results across a few pages, both compare against and Ivybridge i7)

Soldato
As for 8350 bottlenecking SLI/crossfire: some games yes, some games no;

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/fx-8350-core-i7-3770k-gaming-bottleneck,review-32616-3.html
And:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/crossfire-sli-scaling-bottleneck,review-32668-4.html
(both have results across a few pages, both compare against and Ivybridge i7)

Misleading benchmarks are misleading.

The only differences I can see there are at Medium graphics quality or at 1080p. Anyone who uses two 7970s to run a game at 1080p/Medium settings is out of their mind.

On very high resolutions (4800 x 900 and up) the 8350 clearly edges out the 3770K in Metro 2033. How do you like that one Martin?

In BF3 it's a similar story, at Ultra quality the 8350 and 3770K are clock-for-clock identical performers. But the 8350 costs much less.

Caporegime
Misleading benchmarks are misleading.

The only differences I can see there are at Medium graphics quality or at 1080p. Anyone who uses two 7970s to run a game at 1080p/Medium settings is out of their mind.

On very high resolutions (4800 x 900 and up) the 8350 clearly edges out the 3770K in Metro 2033. How do you like that one Martin?

In BF3 it's a similar story, at Ultra quality the 8350 and 3770K are clock-for-clock identical performers. But the 8350 costs much less.

Egh?

I see one the FX83 one FPS ahead of the i7 3770K, never mind the fact that an R9 290 Crossfire, let alone Tri Fire is a lot more grunt.

Never mind the fact that people always spout about how Tom's are unreliable, the games in the review are also only a small sample, there's thousands of games in the world.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The results on Skyrim vastly depend on how updated their Skyrim is, and it's never been kind to AMD either way.

On the other results for Skyrim where there's negative/nil scaling.

On another topic, I tried mantle the other day, very impressive, was very smooth :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think with mantle coming in, octa-core 8350s will be very impressive with x-fire/tri-fire. But doesnt help in older games

So far Mantle's only in one game, and the second game it's coming in ; Thief, IMO is a mess. It's a UE3 game but the FPS figures are terribad for such an old engine, unless it has truly, truly gimped DirectX performance (As in, done on purpose) Mantle shouldn't change it much at all.

If Mantle suddenly makes the game give rapidly better frame rates, I'd be inclined to lean towards gimped directX performance.

AMD bigged up mantle with Kaveri, so the i5's will see some cracking gains too, I honestly would hope no one would be silly enough to pair 3 R9 29X's with either an i5 or an FX83.

Associate
... truly gimped DirectX performance (As in, done on purpose) ...
I have the same feeling... to me that kind of performance for an UE3 game is really weird... ;) and ATM crossfire D3D doesn't really help, even the min fps w/ single GPU is more than the min w/ crossfire...the AVG crossfire fps is just 1 fps more than one GPU... all is doubtful enough
OR not properly on purpose but rather they haven't optimized in the best way the D3D path 'cause developed with Mantle in mind...already knew that with Mantle they would have to show significant results

Last edited:
Associate
OP
as much as I love mantle, I don't think it is going to be in enough games to factor in to cpu choices... I think if a new direct x comes out that can be successful at being "closer to the metal." as they say, then that may be a factor.

I know all big benches I see use i7 and most people in this forum use i5s but I was hoping an 8350 could perform. Or maybe a 9590...

Back
Top Bottom