New Monitor's - U2414H?

Soldato
So I've now got the monitors connect up with DP, daisychain.
However in the Nvidia control panel they still come up under "Ultra HD, HD, SD" instead of PC.

My old monitor is packed away so I have nothing to compare to, but colours still look good to me. Is there a way to actually check what signal is being sent (e.g. full or limited RGB?).

Sorry if this is a little off topic.

Associate
Just to echo what others have said, they're good for gaming. Came from a lower response time TN to the U2414H and the IPS wins hands down - presumably better overdrive or maybe the TN was being a bit deceptive with it's quoted 4ms response time but the Dell has less blur on fast moving objects. It also has very low input lag, though to be fair so did my old TN.

(If you're a pro FPS gamer you probably want to be looking at a 144Hz TN or something, but for a 60Hz monitor I'd not worry about that response time figure at all)

Superb mate, it was only the 8ms response time that's been putting me off this monitor, I love it's super thin bezel, and really want to get 3 for an eyefinity setup. I think I've made my decision, guess I'd better get saving. Cheers for the info buddy :D

Soldato
So I've now got the monitors connect up with DP, daisychain.
However in the Nvidia control panel they still come up under "Ultra HD, HD, SD" instead of PC.

My old monitor is packed away so I have nothing to compare to, but colours still look good to me. Is there a way to actually check what signal is being sent (e.g. full or limited RGB?).

Sorry if this is a little off topic.

I wouldn't say this is off-topic, it's something many people (including me) are very curious about.

Set the monitor to the sRGB preset, which will give it good 2.2 gamma if the correct colour signal is used. Go to Lagom and observe the black level test. If the darkest blocks (first few) are very clearly visible then it's likely that a Limited Range RGB (bad) signal is being used. If the first two blocks blend in well and are difficult if not impossible to distinguish from the background then it's likely a Full Range RGB signal (good).

Are you able to set a custom resolution when using Surround? Is the correct resolution also listed further down in the resolution list under 'PC' or not?

Soldato
I wouldn't say this is off-topic, it's something many people (including me) are very curious about.

Set the monitor to the sRGB preset, which will give it good 2.2 gamma if the correct colour signal is used. Go to Lagom and observe the black level test. If the darkest blocks (first few) are very clearly visible then it's likely that a Limited Range RGB (bad) signal is being used. If the first two blocks blend in well and are difficult if not impossible to distinguish from the background then it's likely a Full Range RGB signal (good).

Are you able to set a custom resolution when using Surround? Is the correct resolution also listed further down in the resolution list under 'PC' or not?

With both monitors set to sRGB preset I could see the first few pretty clearly.

Changing to a custom resolution of 1920x1080 @ 59Hz on each monitor meant I couldn't distinguish the first few (this is what some people seem to suggest to try).

The maximum resolution under "PC" is 1600x1200.

Soldato
With both monitors set to sRGB preset I could see the first few pretty clearly.

Changing to a custom resolution of 1920x1080 @ 59Hz on each monitor meant I couldn't distinguish the first few (this is what some people seem to suggest to try).

The maximum resolution under "PC" is 1600x1200.

So it sounds like the Surround group is using a Limited Range RGB signal. Or are you using each monitor individually? Are you able to set a custom resolution for the whole surround group or just individual monitors?

Soldato
So it sounds like the Surround group is using a Limited Range RGB signal. Or are you using each monitor individually? Are you able to set a custom resolution for the whole surround group or just individual monitors?

I thought it would be treated like surround, but I don't think I can with only 2? It seems to only let me set things individually.

Soldato
OP
Just to echo what others have said, they're good for gaming. Came from a lower response time TN to the U2414H and the IPS wins hands down - presumably better overdrive or maybe the TN was being a bit deceptive with it's quoted 4ms response time but the Dell has less blur on fast moving objects. It also has very low input lag, though to be fair so did my old TN.

(If you're a pro FPS gamer you probably want to be looking at a 144Hz TN or something, but for a 60Hz monitor I'd not worry about that response time figure at all)

Thanks for this! Very helpful and I think I will take the plunge. As I want to connect a console to it as well I think it is best to stay at 60Hz anyway.

Great to hear people with the monitors :)

Thanks again!

Soldato
I thought it would be treated like surround, but I don't think I can with only 2? It seems to only let me set things individually.

My apologies I thought you were using 3. With 2 you would have to treat each one individually. The Nvidia driver would treat them the same as it treats individual U2414Hs (hence the resolution not being listed under 'PC'. So custom resolutions would have to be applied when using DP to fix the signal.

Soldato
My apologies I thought you were using 3. With 2 you would have to treat each one individually. The Nvidia driver would treat them the same as it treats individual U2414Hs (hence the resolution not being listed under 'PC'. So custom resolutions would have to be applied when using DP to fix the signal.

Is the DP issue dell's fault? Presumably this is all driver /firmware stuff and there's no reason in principle that it couldn't be solved?

Soldato
Is the DP issue dell's fault? Presumably this is all driver /firmware stuff and there's no reason in principle that it couldn't be solved?

It's not clear who is to blame. Dell are fully aware of the issue and it seems that they have no intention to resolve it. There are other monitors which behave the same way with 60Hz DP signals as well. It's something Nvidia should sort out universally for not just DP but also HDMI.

Soldato
It's not clear who is to blame. Dell are fully aware of the issue and it seems that they have no intention to resolve it. There are other monitors which behave the same way with 60Hz DP signals as well. It's something Nvidia should sort out universally for not just DP but also HDMI.

From a naive standpoint it seems a trivial issue to solve.

Maybe they think its not a widely spread issue in terms of usage,
but it seems to me more and more monitors come with HDMI.

Soldato
P1040828_zpse3befeda.jpg

Have to say but that looks superb!

Back
Top Bottom