• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DirectX 12

Associate
Can we not go one thread without all this nonsense from people?

This is a thread about DirectX 12 not everyone's usual bs peddling, believe it or not some people would like to discuss the potential features of DX 12 in this thread and what it will do for gaming and the graphical industry as a whole.

Associate

This is a thread about DirectX 12 not everyone's usual bs peddling, believe it or not some people would like to discuss the potential features of DX 12 in this thread and what it will do for gaming and the graphical industry as a whole.

Thats all fair and well PhysicsMan but what do you think of Mantle?:D

Soldato

But that involves mentioning the struggle of a vendor driven API being potentially white washed which gets peoples backs up lol

Soldato
It'll probably be a bunch of libraries geared towards making derivative fake-nostalgia (most people who claim to love 8bit weren't even born before the SNES) 2D games for bitstyle hipsters. On tablets.

Soldato
And u obviously dont like change.. *Snip*

Um wut?

Why was I included in your rant?

Personally can't wait for all the new tech and API's, Windows 9, and Direct X12, 20nm GPU's. I welcome change.

Would also welcome a change it a lot of people's attitude here as well, that would be asking to much though :p

Associate
Re: Mantle vs DirectX.

The DirectX SDK/API has to be very general supporting Nvidia cards, AMD cards, etc.

The public DirectX SDK/API is interfacing with drivers supplied from Nvidea, AMD and others.

Mantle (So far) has a non public SDK/API supporting only certain AMD cards through their drivers.

Mantle is supposed to be "close to the metal", which probably means it favors AMD hardware architecture, in which case it would probably never be adopted by Nvidea.

Some people say DirectX is inefficient, but it needs to be a very general API supporting several hardware vendors on Windows.

Soldato
In 10 years time I wonder if we'll still be using a version of either DirectX or Mantle?

The nice thing here is that nobody is forcing anyone to use either, if you don't like one, just don't use it.
If you don't like Mantle just play every game you own using DirectX. If you don't like DirectX just play BF4 with the settings turned down so you don't hit VRAM limit issues.
Simples!

If DirectX 12 is bad, that just strengthens Mantles position, if DirectX 12 is good (and gets adopted) then that's good for gamers as a whole. As an AMD owner at the minute that seems like win-win.
Maybe it'll mean buying a new graphics card or 2, but I had to buy the cards I currently own so I'm ok with buying new hardware. I'm sure it won't be right away anyway. and if it is... Yay! Upgrade time! :)

Soldato
I don't care which API becomes the mainstream/standard. As long as the stagnation we have seen with DX ends. Each DX release gives some minor advances that take ages before developers adopt them.

DirectX 11 was released in 2009 and the difference between it and the more recent DX11.1 and 11.2 are not worth mentioning. 4.5 years of stagnation absolutely needed to end. M$ were simply happy with the status quo and were not investing any significant resources into DX because they didn't need to. Maybe Mantle was the kick in the ballix MS needed.

Last edited:
Permabanned
1 game means its alive ? :rolleyes:

met_14-e1343289139673.jpg

359582.jpg

:D

Associate
DirectX isn't stagnant, it just has to be very general to support different hardware.

DirectX 10 API demanded minimum hardware requirements.

MS understood their mistake with this and DirectX 11 supported several levels of hardware through "feature levels".

Programmers can still target DX 9 level hardware using the DirectX 11 APIs using feature levels.

Game developers will be willing to support several different code paths, depending on the hardware they are running on, but I'm sure they would rather do it through a single API like DirectX and its "feature levels".

I would put good money on DirectX 12 supporting older hardware through feature levels.

I think it's almost certain that we will need a new OS (Windows 9?) to use DX 12.

Edit: DX 9.1 features is the minimum for DX 11 API support.

Last edited:
Soldato
People said the same about DX9, DX10, and DX11. Some people just don't like progression. Can't come quick enough imho, I expect a few games will get patched in support and new games over the next 5-6 years will have native DX12 support, lower overhead for GPU and CPU. All good things, progression is a good thing..

How long was it when directx10 came out and when it was used? 6-12months when it was finally used, plus gpu's had a real struggle using direct 10, so you had to wait another xx amount of months for faster gpu's

So Im not going to make the same mistake again like I did when I upgraded from winxp to vista just because of the no directx 10 support in widows xp. Windows XP ran all games fine for a few yrs after directx10 came out and like I said hardly any gpu's could run in directx10 smooth enough for sometime after. So its totally pointless upgrading to windows 8 for directx12, so I for one are not wasting my money on directx12, as its a total sales gimmick at the mo, maybe in a year or 2 yes, but right now, NO

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol wait, you think microsoft getting rid of GFWL is a BAD thing for PC gamers? Best thing I've read in ages.
You clearly misinterpreted what I said BADLY.

GFWL had the chance to be as successful as Steam if it was done right, but because it was handed over to be handle by the same bunch of monkeys that are responsible for the Xbone, GFWL turned out to be an unwanted child of Xbone's unprotected sex :rolleyes:

My point was with M$ letting GFWL to be ran by the Xbone team and with GFWL being a small sub-category under the Xbone page, it shows how much M$ really care about the PC Gaming community :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Well Microsoft suck at revealing things, so at GDC it will probably be a big flop where your gfx card is account bound to your pc and you can't sell or lend your gfx card to a friend unless they are part of your family which they can then download your gfx card. But then they will change their mind and do a 180 and DX12 will just be a mobile API for tablets and mobile phones.
ohh well atleast mantle can pick up from where DX slacks.

Soldato
DX 12, bring it on baby, I can add it alongside Mantle and OGL.:D

Well BF4 still isn't working correctly for most with Mantle.

Why do you keep banging the drum about a broken Mantle when the majority are enjoying it?

The only poll I know of regarding Mantle:

ae0584e6701db1aadda4431f2fba1055.jpg

Lets break it down, 2723 AMD users:

1331 loved it
847 haven't tried it and are waiting on a more refined version
423 went back to DX
121 couldn't install the driver properly

More than a 3:1 ratio of Mantle working for most.;)

http://www.techpowerup.com/

Refrain from the fud bud.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom