Do you have a cleaner?

Soldato
I agree with you 4T5, if you can earn more money in that hour then you may as well work it and get a cleaner in.

It's also not just about that extra hour alone it would take you to work to cover the cost. Often that extra hour spent working can help make another hour or two more productive. For instance, say you need to get home to clean because you've got people coming over but it's 5pm and you need a couple more hours on what you're doing, you can spend that time you would spend cleaning completing what you need to do rather than having to try and pick up where you left off at a later date which invariably requires you to go over work twice.

I'd certainly get a cleaner if I could afford it.

Soldato
From personal experience with a 18 month old I wouldn't bother.

Once we've hoovered etc it only takes 5 minutes before we've got rice cakes, baked beans, yoghurt, milk, water etc all over the floor and her toys scattered all over the house.

Soldato
OP
It's a shame that people need to do this. I'm all for women working but a society where one parent, mother or father, can chose to look after children, rather than work, is better that one where both parents must work to keep up with the rat race. Your children only grow up once.

Good luck finding a cleaner.

The study, where I am composing this reply, was the servants room when our house was built. Whilst it's a nice study nowadays I think having a servant or two would be better. Alas they demand reasonable pay and working conditions nowadays. That fireplace isn't going to black itself, you know.

LOL

To be fair the missus doesn't 'need' to work, but has a good job and enjoys it. I think in society now to be a stay at home mum can make a lot of women feel a bit useless...

Man of Honour
How would a person be earning £45 in an hour? what will an average person be doing at home whilst the cleaner cleans that will be making them £45 an hour?

It's not about 'average' people though, the point is some people will be getting paid £45/hr for their time (works out around £350/day so fairly typical rate for a contractor) which in some cases could be working from home and rather than work 1hr less and do an hours cleaning they're better off paying someone £8/hr to do it.

If the point you are making is that 'they will be at home anyway at some point during the day when not working and should do the cleaning then' then it could simply be that they value their free time at more than £8/hr.

Man of Honour
My cleaner used to come in when I was at work. They had a set of keys. It was great to come home to a clean home without having to do any of it.

Obviously I cleaned up after myself on a day to day basis did the washing and hoovering as necessary. But having someone come in a couple of times a month for a more thorough clean just made life that little bit more pleasant. I like things neat and tidy anyway. Can't stand mess.

Soldato
Or just simply people would prefer to employ someone to clean to a higher standard than they're currently able to do so in their daily lives owing to working hard... Allowing them to be able to afford a cleaner ;)

Yeah, that's our justification. Neither of us like cleaning or are particularly good at it. Why not pay someone to do it? It doesn't cost us that much and it gives us more time to earn money/enjoy life.

Soldato
Or just simply people would prefer to employ someone to clean to a higher standard than they're currently able to do so in their daily lives owing to working hard... Allowing them to be able to afford a cleaner ;)

This is pretty much my reasoning too. There is nothing "posh" about it, it’s not like cleaners are that expensive in the first place (at least to me they are not). If you have the financial ability to pay for one I don’t see any reason not to hire a cleaner. It’s a time consuming process (at least for me it is) and that time could be better spent doing other things.

People hire gardeners, people hire van drivers, people hire plumbers, people hire taxi’s..... what is the difference between any of these and a cleaner ? none.

Soldato
LOL

To be fair the missus doesn't 'need' to work, but has a good job and enjoys it. I think in society now to be a stay at home mum can make a lot of women feel a bit useless...

If society is making women feel useless for doing a very hard job, that naturally comes to them better than most men (that's not sexist, just true) then society has an issue.

If your missus doesn't need to work but enjoys it then that's fine, the choice to spend more time at work and less with your children is her choice.

I've done with child raising and my wife looked after him whilst he was younger but if I had to do it again I'd want her (or me, if she earned the most) at home looking after the kid. I might be an anachronism is todays world but that's how I feel. :D

Back
Top Bottom