Cancer

Associate
This is a perfect example of why people have been getting so annoyed and started moaning. For the most part of this week my News Feed has been filled with these.

1) I see no mention of caner research
2) I see no mention of a donation
3) This person (as far as I can see) made no useful contribution to the issue(s) of cancer

/QUOTE]

Surely this is the same with many things.
Some people are idiots, some people genuinely care about the cause and want to do what they can to help, and then there are somewhere in between.

I can't see how you can fault the organizers for trying to raise awareness by using one of the most powerful marketing tools available (social media).

Yes there are some shallow people who tag along or jump on the bandwagon but in the main the whole campaign has been a success. Money has been raised and the campaign itself has had some time in the spotlight.

Associate
I have no problem with the organisers using Facebook as an "awareness tool" / "promotion tool", with billions of people using Facebook it should be put to good use, however it's the stupidity / naivety of certain individuals which annoys the hell out of people.

Anyone with a bit of common sens would realise that by uploading a picture without doing anything else isn't doing anything (in my eyes) particularly useful.

I just feel that for the majority of people this meme sums them up which is rather disappointing;

14vtf02.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Taking a photo of yourself and posting it on social media makes people aware of the various types of cancer how exactly? Most people don't even know the difference between papilloma and carcinoma, let alone anything even remotely near the truth.

If you want to donate money to charity, go ahead, yet people simply posting pictures without donating doesn't really do much in terms of development does it, let alone educating people, which is more important than even the funding is.

Why and how would the average man on the street know the difference between papilloma and carcinoma?

Can't believe the sniping and bitching going on in this thread regarding the whole issue, money HAS been raised as a direct result of the 'no make-up selfies' and as a result, people ARE talking about cancer.

Unless a person is seriously 'behind the door' I don't believe for a minute they are thinking that by liking/posting a picture they are helping to cure cancer.

Man of Honour
No.

Money has been raised as a direct result of people getting mad and drawing attention to the fact just posting selfies doesn't raise money.

Which came about because of?

You guessed it people posting no makeup photos.

Never mind how you look at it and how it achieved the end result it's all down to the selfies.

Soldato
If people want to post pictures of themselves without makeup so their friends can tell them how great they look that's absolutely fine. Don't try and excuse your narcissism with this crappy charity excuse though. That's the end of it for me.

Edit: as for Cancer Research UK saying they've received a boost in donations with £1m in 24 hours, surely if their donation receipts last year were £460m then £1m in a day is about par for the course outside of the big events they organise?

Last edited:
Soldato
Which came about because of?

You guessed it people posting no makeup photos.

Never mind how you look at it and how it achieved the end result it's all down to the selfies.

And how did selfies come about? Going by your logic, the entire fad of taking selfies which started x number of years ago is to thank for the donations tbh.

In fact, lets extend thanks to the inventor of the digital camera. Without him there would be no selfies and no donations!

Oh wait, actually, its the people who donated that deserve the thanks. And that, in reality does not include the vast majority of those who posted selfies (certainly not when this whole charade started).

Man of Honour
And how did selfies come about? Going by your logic, the entire fad of taking selfies which started x number of years ago is to thank for the donations tbh.

In fact, lets extend thanks to the inventor of the digital camera. Without him there would be no selfies and no donations!

Oh wait, actually, its the people who donated that deserve the thanks. And that, in reality does not include the vast majority of those who posted selfies (certainly not when this whole charade started).

I personally thank God, Allah, Bob down the round who believes he is the almighty creator in this whole thing for creating the universe, and everything in it.

Then entire act of taking selfies is responsible for the donations.

Soldato
This article sums up precisely my feelings on the matter.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-up-selfie-facebook-beat-cancer-research-meme

... I was perplexed as to how a seemingly incongruous gesture could influence the fight against cancer in any way. I checked the Cancer Research UK website, and the charity was apparently uninvolved and at that point seemingly unaware of yet another hollow Facebook meme with as much relevance as "like this post if you believe child abuse / animal cruelty / rape is a bad thing". As the morning wore on hundreds more makeup-free selfies appeared. One example of such a post: "Here's my no makeup selfie for cancer! It's a rare thing to see me without makeup but so important for so many people! #beatcancer."

... Firstly, as with a lot of social networking campaigns, it asked for no useful contribution, no meaningful action, just a sort of lazy, armchair reaction that makes us feel good about ourselves. It implied that the most useful way a woman (there was no suggestion that men should do anything at all) could contribute to the solving of a huge problem, was to take off their makeup and have their appearance scrutinised en masse, as though this was some incredibly meaningful sacrifice.

... Most women I know, myself included, are seen without makeup an awful lot. To imply mascara and lipstick are like oxygen to women, as though anyone who wears makeup has no sense of perspective nor awareness as to what else might be going on in the world, nor any capacity for charity, is reductive, patronising and just plain stupid.

... There is, of course, another question about the vanity of those taking part. It was hours before the selfie mob questioned what they had actually taken part in beyond a mass exercise in narcissism greeted by adoring comments saying "you still look hot hun". While I'm in no position to understand the genuine motives of thousands of women (Facebook memes do have a habit of indirectly bullying people into appearing worthy), the effect of such mass and glib support was not greeted with enthusiasm by all those more directly affected by cancer.

Ultimately, as cynical as I am on this whole thing, I accept that any effort to raise awareness and money should be promoted and commended.

Back
Top Bottom