Why don't I like whiskey?

Man of Honour
You probably don't like it because it tastes like turf.

Very much depends on the whisky - the Islay whiskies such as Laphroaig are at the peatier end of the scale but there's a huge variety in taste with some being much milder than others.

You could do what the pro's do and use a small glass add a quarter whisky then add 2 quarters water. At least thats what some say you do. Alternatively just sip it slowly with tiny sips and don't fill your mouth with it.

Two quarters of water? That's an awful lot of water to dilute the taste - I know a few people who drink their whisky with lots of water but it's rare to add that much. Generally with a strong whisky adding a few drops of water to open up the flavour is reasonable but it's very much a matter of taste how far you go in terms of adding water.

Me i buy whisky and just add coke and think of it like jack d and coke.

Im not fond of drinking it straight, too harsh to do it really and i don't think most would do that.

I tend to take my whisky straight but it depends what it is, if it's a reasonable single malt or a good blend then I'll drink it unadulterated. If it's a cheaper blend then I'll mix it with coke or something like that.

It's not worth forcing yourself to like whisky (or whiskey) though unless you've got a special reason for doing so, I'd suggest just drinking something you enjoy.

Soldato
semi-pro wrestler said:
Two quarters of water? That's an awful lot of water to dilute the taste - I know a few people who drink their whisky with lots of water but it's rare to add that much. Generally with a strong whisky adding a few drops of water to open up the flavour is reasonable but it's very much a matter of taste how far you go in terms of adding water.

I've always read as a 'rule of thumb' you want to aim for about 35% ABV minimum (40% whisky? Add one or two drops) if you're going to add water. A couple of teaspoonfuls of water in a cask strength dram wouldn't be inappropriate in that case. However you normally only do that after trying it neat to 'open up' the flavours.

It's like adding salt to food. Try it first to see if you need it.

people mix whiskey with coke Oo

Only the cheaper blends. Mountain Dew was originally designed to be mixed with whisky.

Soldato
I have tried to like it, I've tried a cheap one, and one that could be used as a house deposit and neither were nice to me. Only one I quite enjoyed was some cask strength stuff, when you opened it, it smelled like smoked/charred wood and burned when you drank it. I could drink that one again, think it was an Irish make, began with an L.

Soldato
I love Whiskey but I hate Jack Daniels, Tastes like petrol. If you want Whisky then do it right and get some high quality Scotch, and gentile with it, don't have it in shots, slip it. To neck it is blasphemous

Associate
The taste for whisky needs to be acquired over time by picking a particular brand and sticking with it - allegedly it takes 1/2 a litre over a few weeks for your taste buds to become accustom with the taste or 1 litre over a few hours so your taste buds are wasted :eek:

Soldato
Why are people forcing themselves to like things that they didn't previously?

If you don't like it, don't drink it. People like different things and that's fine.

Back
Top Bottom