New build + Out of the loop

Associate
Hi guys. been out the loop for a few years so having this built.
Changed a few of specs but hear it is now.
Any issues?

Will be using for gaming (old skool cs player who used to only be content with 120hz w/ 120fps. Been too many years on xbox, need to come back strong. If its not smooth as silk after the money/time waited, not worth it), photoshop, 3dmax, premier, unity(just starting), maybe some utube/twitch.

Not massively keen on case but told would be quieter than most, although i was going to go for something with glass side to have a Tron wet dream, silent-ish PC would be great.

Case: Fractal Define R4 Black Case
Power Supply: Seasonic 850W Gold Power Supply
Processor: Intel Core i7 4930K Six Core (3.4GHz, 12MB Cache overclockable upto 4.4GHz, Hyperthreading) Socket 2011
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Graphics Card 1: nVidia GeForce GTX 780 3GB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 1866MHz C10 Quad Channel Memory Kit (2 x 8GB)
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Intel X79 Motherboard (2 way SLI and Crossfire, 8+2+2+2 Xtreme VRM, TUF Components and Design)
Hard Disk Drive One: 500GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD
Hard Disk Drive Two: 1TB Seagate 64MB Cache
Optical Drive One: Blu-Ray Rewriter & DVD-RW Combo Drive
Sound Card: Onboard HD 7.1 Audio
Operating System: Windows8Pro 64bit

-Soundcard
Should I? Would it tax the system less? Espicialy in premier/gaming.

-Mobo
Any fancy things can do with latest motherboard? See a lot of fancy talk but no idea what half means other than duel booting, and quicker ssd OS booting.

-Partitioning/duel booting/ keeping safe and recovering
Worth doing this to stick on Steam OS or linux?
I want to have a practical ability this time to be able to access drives and recover data if all goes wrong. Also linux sounds the 'safer' daily web browsing routine, then switch to windows for everything else? Maybe USB pen to boot linux or sandbox vpn browser instead? Tor recommended?
Sorry for random offtopic but wondering about workflow and keeping new system safe, sustainable, and untraceable if going down utube/twitch route.

-Storage
Also need a another HDD for backup. And recommendation on HDD that keeps for long time? Running a couple of 80gb and 120gb that last years, but too slow and too small. Keep seeing the external WD, but majority of feedback dying after few weeks-1yr, and most ssd solutions hearing only 1-5 years use!!
Need something to store movies, work etc

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Soldato
Welcome,

FIrst a few questions:

What is your overall budget?

What monitor are you using? (i assume its a 120hz).

Are you upto building it yourself?

A few answers. :)

Have you got a good set of speakers/headset? If not theres no need for a soundcard.

I don't think dual booting is needed, unless you NEED to use both don't bother.

If you want to keep a back up, why not get 2 x 2tb storage drives in RIAD1, mirror.

Associate
OP
Hi thanks for reply.
While I have built one PC, it was about 10 years ago,
and while i could probably place in the components into the right slots etc,
i know its a bit more complicated than that now, and wouldn't know where to begin.
Ive spent weeks/months doing research, and realised although im learning things, too much time has passed and would be better sever just getting it built, so i cant screw it up.
Also id prefer it, having it masterfully configured out the box, so i can just worry about getting more productive on it. /rant :p

Ive had the above priced at £2100 and at this point waisted too many years looking at stuff, i might as well just get something that will last me. I rather have something that lasts, but that i can add too, rather than buying a moderate pc every few years.

-Monitor
Im using BenQ XL2420TX bought from here (rather OVERPRICED i found out >_< ) but after a year, finding after daily use my eyes feel screwed and constantly burning.
Its been tuned using various guides, but I believe its the gamma. On hdmi/xbox i can turn down the gamma using the game/device. With my current PC i cannot do this, but looking forward to changing it within the graphics card settings when get my new pc.
BUT it maybe a good idea to get another monitor for daily use/ duel screen anyway, as the colour on the monitor is pretty bad, and will need to do photoshop work. 4k IPS maybe?

No speakers at the moment, but have some old 5.1s stored away, and currently use Afterglow wireless headset for xbox/pc/ps3. May want to upgrade that though.
But as i said, wouldnt i want a soundcard to take the processing time off the cpu, regardless if i have the volume on or not??

-For duel booting / recovery options, yes the NAS or RAIDing is a good option, and allows me to backup, but when it goes wrong, i still need options to get back a working system.
And there is always going to be a few program settings/data/edited doc or something that is more updated that the current backup.
Just thought 10years later there might be better ways now.

Did have my system recovered a couple of times years ago, would be great to find out how. Im thinking now they might have linux live cd on a drive with ghosting tools to recover. Any pre made or safe site to make a usb to cover myself?

Associate
OP
The Only Beardy... er thanks.
Like i mentioned, im having it built by company who have quoted the £2100 for the OP specs. If i had the time/knowlege of configuring it expertly and making it sustainable, I would have done it myself.

BUT..
Well done on finding double the RAM for same money, at a better speed.
Worth it?? So many say i wont see a benifit over 1866, but they also said theres no difference between blueray and dvd *sigh*

And what benefits would i be getting from the different mother board and 1000w PSU?

Does anyone recommend a UPS, and what would i need?
If have 850w PSU, would need 1000w UPS?

Associate
Ha, I won't lie, I didn't read all of it... tbh putting one of these together on your own is VERY easy... I didn't mention it earlier, but if it was my money... I would probably spend like £1000 - £1200 on a build now and save the extra £1k for an upgrade to X99 in 6-8 months :)

YOUR BASKET
1 x MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming Edition 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £319.99
1 x Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO SATA 6Gb/s Basic - (MZ-7TE500BW) £239.99
1 x Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - OEM £169.99
1 x SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 1000W Fully Modular "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply - Black £161.99
1 x Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower Case - Black (CC-9011035-WW) £138.98
1 x Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard £109.99
1 x Avexir Venom Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-17200C9 2133MHz Dual Channel Memory Kit (AVD3U21330904G-2CIG) - Green Light £79.99
1 x Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-Bit DVD - OEM (WN7-00614) £74.99
1 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST2000DM001) HDD £59.99
1 x Raijintek EreBoss High Performance CPU Cooler £29.99
Total : £1,402.39 (includes shipping : £13.75).

If you bought something like that... you could sell the mobo, cpu, and ram and cooler (maybe as a bundle) and put the money towards getting an X99 bundle or something?

also... the reason I went for the 1000W is that the only reason your guna want a PSU over 600W is to put more than one GPU in... and if you plan on that... I would like the extra leg room especially with the hexcore :)

as for the faster RAM... why not have faster RAM if it doesnt cost any more :p

again, this is just my thoughts on it...

Soldato
Ha, I won't lie, I didn't read all of it...

You probably should have read some of the OP (again)

He's basically doing a lot of Photo/Video Editing/Capture/production (as can be dedcuced from the list of programs..

And gaming wise, he has a 120hz monitor, so you'll (really) need to play all his games at 120 FPS.

This is why id go for a 4930k, 16gb+ RAM and a 780Ti (and a 1000W PSU to go SLI later on).

Associate
OP
putting one of these together on your own is VERY easy...
As i originally said, i dont doubt i could. Optimizing, configuring it, and the time for research and doing it, i dont have.

save for X99 in 6-8 months
RIGHT now getting somewhere. As i mentioned, im out of the loop.
I have no idea what this is, nor why i would want it, other than its new.

-MOBO
Also i looked a bit at the differences between of the
the builder suggestion, Asus Sabertooth Intel X79
and the suggested by you, Asus Rampage IV Formula Intel X79.
Is the Sabertooth massively out of date?????? 2011?
Am i right in thinking i will be getting the highest ram usable for it, 1866mhz?

This is why id go for a 4930k, 16gb+ RAM and a 780Ti (and a 1000W PSU to go SLI later on).
-PSU
I was only getting a 500-650w psu before and down to another suggestion on another forum, saying the Be quiet PSUs were trash and go for Seasonic, when i saw that 850w, and was told this was overkill even for SLi.
1000w really necessary?

-UPS Uninterrupted power supply

If i was going to get a 850w-1000w PSU, would i need a 1000w-1400w UPS?

Last edited:
Soldato
X99 will be the new mobos for Haswell-E(xtreme) CPUs and will support DDR4 RAM. They will do away with the Quad cores and offer Six and Eight core CPUs only. We won't see them till the end of the year and it will be expensive kit.....not that X79 is cheap lol

When overclocking to get the higher speeds stable it's common to increase the voltage (there is a safe max voltage limit you shouldn't exceed and higher volts increase temps). You're being suggested a 1000W PSU to cover having dual GPUs and overclocking the CPU and GPUs with the increased power draw from tweaking voltages.

I'm hoping it's a typo in the OP as you've said 16GB Quad channel kit but then put 2x8GB......for Quad it would be 4x4GB and for the 2011 socket you DO want a Quad channel kit. There is always wiggle room in spec'ing. I've read your thoughts and tried to put myself in your shoes.......

YOUR BASKET
1 x MSI Geforce GTX 780Ti 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £499.99
1 x Intel 4930K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge-E) Socket LGA2011 Processor - Retail (BX80633I74930K) £429.95
1 x Asus X79 DELUXE Intel X79 (Socket 2011) DDR3 Motherboard £269.99
1 x Crucial M500 480GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive - (CT480M500SSD1) £179.99
1 x Avexir Core White Series 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C10 2400MHz Quad Channel Memory Kit (AVD3U24001004G-4CIW) - White LED Light £169.99
1 x Antec P280 Super Midi Tower Case - Gun Metal Black £99.95
1 x Corsair Hydro H100i High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CW-9060009-WW) £88.00
1 x Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-Bit DVD - OEM (WN7-00614) £74.99
1 x Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x SATA Internal BD/DVD/CD Burner - No Software £59.99
2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST2000DM001) HDD £59.99 (£119.98)
Total : £2,007.80 (includes shipping : £12.50).

Case: Is sound proofed and they do sell a windowed side panel (HERE). The H100i (note the i!) CPU cooler and RAM I've picked have LEDs for your Tron light show ;)

Mobo: Gives you Wi-Fi, 8 DIMM slots for the RAM (so you could upgrade to 32GB from the 16GB) and extra Sata ports if you are going to add more HDDs for storage or a scratch drive.

SSD: The M500 is a good alternative to the Samsung Evo. Yes the capacity is slightly less and it's a little slower but it is cheaper, in fact the saving basically pays for one of the 2TB HDDs.

PSU: Is obviously missing. Simply because I don't know if you want to add another GPU. Are you going to increase voltages on the CPU or just overclock to the highest on stock volts....will you overclock at all?

I'd personally only use a single GPU and there is £100 left in the budget which is more than enough to get a very good semi or fully modular PSU. Bequiet PSUs aren't rubbish (I own a Bequiet L8 630W and it's been great for 3 years and is dead quiet). Seasonic are arguably the best in the business though, a gold rated Seasonic 650W PSU will be ~£90

All the best with it fella. We look forward to hearing more from you and what you ultimately end up with.......some pics would be fab if you have the time to post them up ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
As i originally said, i dont doubt i could. Optimizing, configuring it, and the time for research and doing it, i dont have.

RIGHT now getting somewhere. As i mentioned, im out of the loop.
I have no idea what this is, nor why i would want it, other than its new.

-MOBO
Also i looked a bit at the differences between of the
the builder suggestion, Asus Sabertooth Intel X79
and the suggested by you, Asus Rampage IV Formula Intel X79.
Is the Sabertooth massively out of date?????? 2011?
Am i right in thinking i will be getting the highest ram usable for it, 1866mhz?

Building a pc has got easier in the last 10 years (though I only started 3 years ago, the guides I've seen from that time makes it seem so).

As for motherboards we may have confused you a little bit. Let me try and help.

Each Intel CPU iteration has its own motgerboard/chipset. They are also (currently) in two seperate markets, consumer and enthuiast. The most recent consumer chip iteration is Haswell which consists of Celerons, Pentiums, i3's, i5's & i7's.

All these chips work on the 1150 socket (this number corresponds to the amount on pins in the socket/chip.

Each socket also has varying chipsets. For example 1150 has H81, B85, H87 & Z87. All of these offer varying amount of features at various pricepoints. In the consumer range only the Z range offers over locking.

So onto the enthusiast range, the range you are looking at. The current chip iteration is Ivybridge-E (ivy-E for short), the E stands for enthusiast.

Ivy-E, like its predecessor Sandy-E, uses the 2011 socket (as it has 2011 pins). The current chipset (usable by both ivy-e and sandy-e) is the X79 chipset.

The next iteration of enthusiast chips will be appearing near the and of 2014 and will be named Haswell-E, not to be confused with haswell (non-e): which should be replaced by broadwell by then, and is rumoured to use a new X99 chipset. We can only assume this will be a 2011 socket too.

Haswell-E will be the first to use DDR4 RAM, if the rumours are true, and come with a standard 4 core & 6 core CPU, aswell as a heavily rumoured 8 core.

The 2011 socket support quad channel RAM only which mean you will need atleast 4 sticks, either 4X4gb or 4X8gb. It support upto and beyond 2400mhz.

Associate
OP
Thankyou honosuseri for reading the posts in its entirety!
Much appreciated Doomedspeed and honosuseri answered a lot of the questions i had,
without spouting "well thats not worth it.." to everything in the system, like so many places did.

I guess next big question is, would you still pay that amount when these new components are about to hit? Should i go ahead anyway?!
Ive been playing the waiting game for so many years, but think i just need to go for it and get productive on a system.
Or the initial cost are going to not get me anything close, and still worth getting this rig,
possibly selling 4-5years (maybe even less than that?) down line and jumping into getting the new stuff in a whole new rig?

for the 2011 socket you DO want a Quad channel kit
I think the reason i said to the builder 2x8gb was so i could buy another 2x8gb to make 32 at some point.
Will the system not work, or just not perform?

OK last questions.
The builder whos doing all this, im probably ****ing off now, regardless if its my money.
IF i did go with the component that were set out, see any issues?
By the look of the mobo stats, it looks like I would want to grab one of the ones suggested, as it cant support over 1866ghz.
OR is it a m00t point, as all the new mobos are coming out soon, and pointless upgrading the rig i would be getting?

And see that no one has brought it up but if i was after a UPS Uninterrupted power supply would i need a 1000w-1400w UPS to cover a 850w-1000w PSU??

Thanks for the details on the window pain for the Antec P280 Super Midi Tower Case,
saw one for the Fractal Define R4 Black also. The Antec a superior case you reckon, in space or silencing?

And YES, ill post some pictures when i finally get the rig.
Appreciate all the help, really do.
Maybe once i get this made, will give me the confidence to make the next one,
once ive learnt to configure sustainably, and got the right benchmarking, recovery and tweaking tool set programs.

Last edited:
Soldato
No worries fella. You are relatively new here so I have to point out forum rules state no linking to competitors. I'd edit out the company name doing the build just to keep the mods happy.

Socket 2011 gives you the choice of having the Hexcore CPU and it supports using Quad Channel RAM. From your stated use this socket does make sense, to answer your RAM questions have a quick read of THIS

Your PSU won't pull the max wattage all the time. The sweet spot for efficiency is around 50% load. THIS benchmark shows the total system power draw for the 780Ti alone and in SLi.

You can see with a single 780Ti even when benchmarking the system doesn't exceed 400W. So a 650W PSU is more than plenty, a 750W might well be a bit more efficient but at the end of the day the UPS only needs to cover the ~400W power draw, not the max the PSU can handle......I hope that makes sense.

Case is a personal preference. You said you'd like it to be quiet so I pointed out an alternative with sound proofing and a window option. I put a Bluray writer in my spec although I would question if you really need it. Personally I'd use a DVD-RW and put the saved cash to more storage or a scratch drive. If you need the Bluray to watch/rip your movie collection then fair do's.

The mobo I picked is a little more than the Asus Formula. As it comes with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, more DIMM slots and Sata ports that extra £10 isn't hard to "justify". Once again all the best with it fella :)

Associate
OP
Yep name removed. Knew wasn't aloud to link so didnt. Thought id mention to see if anyone had any issues with them. Reviews seem to be pretty good though.

Thanks for patience and explanation.
Ill see if I can get an upgrade on the mobo, soundcard, and case.
Appreciated. Will post pics when get it :)

Back
Top Bottom