Cheap game recommendations for old gamer

Associate
Hi Guys,

Recently started getting parts to build my Dad a budget gaming pc as he spends all of his time stuck at home and pretty much sleeps all the time. Convinced that getting him back into PC gaming will help him get back to a more normal sleeping pattern really :)

He's not played many games since the old days back in early 2000's really. He used to play C&C style games, Doom, Monkey Island (of course :D) and the original XCom games and stuff like that really. Oh and we were both huge fans of Master of Orion 2 :)

Really don't know what he's going to want to play so I had the idea of getting a load of cheap (couple of £ each or so) games from the last x years for him to have a go with. On the basis of if he doesn't like a game I've not wasted loads of money on them.

Will probably pick up Civ V for him but beyond that was just after some suggestions of non-latest games you can now get for a few £ really :)

Cheers,
Alex

Last edited:
Associate
There are 3 easy ways to do this.

Wait a few weeks for the Easter steam sale. You will be able to pick up some quality stuff for cheap as chips prices.
XCom (the new one), Skyrim Legendary edition plus FO3 and FO3NV, ME1+2 will all be around the £5-7 mark and will fill up lots of time.

Steam again. Browse the free to play section. Most of these are likely to be crappy MMOs with cash shops though. WoT (non steam) can also help kill a few hours, a few days a week.

Go to GoG.com / Humble Bundle and pick up some classics.
You can grab MOO1+2 for a few quid on GoG, or do some research and getter a newer (better?) 4X space game from Steam.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Waiting for the sales is a good idea. It sounds like he has a wide appreciation of many genres, so when the sales arrive I'd pick up some of the older titles / classics which are still popular today - Deus Ex / F.E.A.R. + expansions / System Shock 2 / Hard Reset / Doom 3 / Half Life 2 / Shadow Warrior / Legend of Grimrock / S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Associate
OP
Didn't even think about the steam sale to be honest, good shout :D

Building his comp over the next few days so will check out humble bundle and such (may even have some unused codes kicking about actually) and hope they tide him over until the cheap sales start :)

Cheers for the ideas & suggestions guys

Associate
War Thunder is not too bad for free.

Checked out GoG? Might be some cheap classics on there that he's played before and could get back into?

Got my dad a GoG account for old school RTS games and he's enjoyed it a fair bit.

Associate
Warlock is a kind of mythical strategy, seen on sale at steam for £3 or so. It's simpler than some, but good fun. Revenge of the titans is also a strategy/rts-ey kinda game too (you should check out puppy dog games, they are cool) GOG would be a good one and often have sales, oh and being DRM free is great as you own it and can save the install file onto a back up hdd forever. Ftl can be a lot of fun too! (also seen cheap on both GOG and Steam)

Caporegime
So sad to hear the early 2000s described as the "old days" :(

I'd have thought Portal 1 & 2 should be on the list for any old gamer. Keep the mind active to prevent Alzheimer's setting in.

Associate
my bad, i was just mentioning a few newer games that might have been of interest ;) Oh you can get Monkey island on steam (Wait for sale!) Baldurs gates up on GOG aswell and such great games as that.

Associate
Deffo check out GoG. They often give out games for free to people registered.

Got Dungeon Keeper & expo a few weeks back. Such a satisfying game.

Associate
OP
So sad to hear the early 2000s described as the "old days" :(

I'd have thought Portal 1 & 2 should be on the list for any old gamer. Keep the mind active to prevent Alzheimer's setting in.

Apologies, actually meant the old days of him playing computer games - If we wanted to go really retro would've playing with him on my Amiga with games rented/taken-out from the library :D

He's actually undergoing 4-5 days of hospital appointments this week so pretty much anything he gets into will help i'd imagine. Hoping to build this week ready for the weekend and can always add more games at a later date if required :)

Can't get on GoG from work but will check it out later.

Back
Top Bottom