Could anyone please check to see if this build is any good? : )

Associate
Case Fractal Design Core 1000 (M-ATX)
CPU Intel i5 4440 - (4 x 3.1 GHZ) - Haswell
CPU Cooling Intel Heatsink & Fan - Low Noise
CPU Compound Standard CPU Compound Supplied With Heatsink
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz (1x8GB) - (DDR3)
Graphics Card AMD Radeon R7 270X - 2 GB - (XFX) - (PCI-E)
Power Supply Corsair 450W PSU - Low Noise
Motherboard Gigabyte B85M-HD3 (Intel B85)
Hard Drive #1 1TB Western Digital WD10EZRX Caviar Green, SATA III - 6Gb/s, IntelliPower, 64MB Cache, 8ms
Wired Network Adapter Motherboard Integrated Ethernet 10/100/1000 Network Port

It is a Micro-ATX for 2 reasons, one room space and secondly I will be taking it around with me to places from time to time in my bag.

When building this, I had gaming in mind nothing else and I was never after top of the line, but just 'good enough' : )

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Soldato
You want dual channel RAM dude, so 2x4GB for 8GB. Haswell is happy with faster RAM but 1600Mhz will work.

Look at reviews for the 270 GPU. The MSI gaming is a good example, overclock it to match the 270X could save you a few quid to up the PSU perhaps.

The HDD is an eco drive hence being called green, they aren't ideal for an OS drive had you included an SSD aswell it wouldn't have been an issue as you could just use it for storage.

If you stated a budget you'd see some people throw some suggestions your way ;) All the best with it bud :)

Associate
OP
You want dual channel RAM dude, so 2x4GB for 8GB. Haswell is happy with faster RAM but 1600Mhz will work.

Look at reviews for the 270 GPU. The MSI gaming is a good example, overclock it to match the 270X could save you a few quid to up the PSU perhaps.

The HDD is an eco drive hence being called green, they aren't ideal for an OS drive had you included an SSD aswell it wouldn't have been an issue as you could just use it for storage.

If you stated a budget you'd see some people throw some suggestions your way ;) All the best with it bud :)

I really don't want to build it myself, and the place that is offering to build it for me doesn't have a duel channel option, its just single or go for the more expensive 2x8GB : (

Soldato
I`ve just had a look on the internet and if it is the same company I suspect it is, this is costing you about £650-700. If that is so, then you are being ripped of.

Soldato
I really don't want to build it myself, and the place that is offering to build it for me doesn't have a duel channel option, its just single or go for the more expensive 2x8GB : (

They are a bit rubbish then aren't they? Building isn't difficult, there are loads of video tuts on youtube and you'll get plenty of help on this forum if needed.

YOUR BASKET
1 x Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail £169.99
1 x MSI Radeon R9 270 Gaming Edition OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £137.99
1 x Gigabyte Z87M-D3H Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard £82.99
1 x BitFenix Prodigy M MATX Cube Case - Midnight Black £65.52
1 x Corsair Builder Series CX 500w Modular '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply (CP-9020059-UK) £55.99
1 x TeamGroup Vulcan ORANGE 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (TLAD38G2400HC11CDC01) £53.99
1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST1000DM003) HDD £43.99
Total : £610.46 (includes shipping : ).

In a small case ideally a semi-modular PSU would be nice. Yes this is a bit more cash but it's using the i5K with a Z series mobo so you can think about overclocking for more oooompf down the road.

Associate
OP
I know what you guys are saying about building it myself, I have tried that once and it turned out my PC was just a total mess through its life, random shut downs, overheating among other stuff.

I know it may be simple to you guys, but I honestly do not want to build it myself, I just want the comfort of knowing that it just works. If theres anyone who can come to Leicester to build it for me I will happily pay £20-30 cash in hand for the trouble, that way I could save a fortune just buying the components : )

Thanks so much for your build suggestions guys, they look great the only thing I would remove is the DVD drive as I don't need a disk drive.

Soldato
Would have done when I lived in Lincoln but I'm way down south now dude. Think my buddy Idleman is up your way iirc but I can't say if he will help obviously lol

Soldato
Would have done when I lived in Lincoln but I'm way down south now dude. Think my buddy Idleman is up your way iirc but I can't say if he will help obviously lol

Always willing to help. :D

I don`t have a car any more, but if you pay my return train fare, be only to happy to help.

Associate
OP
Yes mate, next weekend is fine. Which part of Leicester?

Do you know if you have access to the Members Market.

Great! Well if you catch the train to the main station in Leicester town, we will pick you from there and our house is in Broughton Astley which is about a 15-20 minute drive.

I have just checked and I do also have access to the members market : )

Back
Top Bottom