WTF AOC?

Associate
OK AOC have managed to get me thoroughly confused here.

They've announced a new monitor only a few days ago:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/aoc-display-monitor-gaming-refresh-rate,news-47595.html

cool, another 144hz monitor from AOC. But wait, that model number looks familiar!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-007-AO&groupid=17&catid=1851&subcat=0

It's the same model that's been out for ages! No hang on. Those pics look nothing like one another. So they have two 144hz monitors with the same model number, but are not the same monitor?

Please someone explain.

Associate
AOC are a European company so typically there stuff lands here first and then takes a good 6 months or so to show up in the US market, if at all.
Its also possible they redesigned the housing slightly to appeal more to the US market :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Its also possible they redesigned the housing slightly to appeal more to the US market :o

Spot on. I know it's confusing, but AOC America are quite separate to their main European (and indeed Asia-Pacific) operations. AOC America does sometimes modify products internally and externally despite sharing their model number with the slightly different European alternatives. Thankfully they don't often do this - it makes life hard as a monitor reviewer when they do, though.

Associate
Hi,

sorry about this and thanks to Venares and PCM2 for replying....both of which are spot on!

US late to market and slightly different design...would have been nice to have this design and/or for it to have a different part number however I have no control over this, so apologies for the confusion cause by our US friends...

Associate
OP
Cool, makes perfect sense now. I initially read the article on Hexus (which I thought was a UK site given their heavy advertising of a Bolton alternative), that's what threw me off.

Appreciate the speedy responses.

Back
Top Bottom