Holiday to India advice and input please

Caporegime
Hi,

Did California last year and the the thread I started about flights and accomadationa dn car hire was invaluable. Thanks:)

Just looking on Virgin and I can see a return flight to Mumbai beginnning of August for £700

Always fancied India.Parents have been to go Goa and they loved it.

Any advice on such a trip...?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?dadd...MbnOzFpjGSNj-2kXQ&oq=del&t=h&gl=uk&mra=mr&z=6

Thanks

easyrider:)

Associate
When are you going?

Goa is a fantastic place but the season is coming to an end as we get closer to the rainy season.

Loved the place. It can be dear to get there but very cheap once you arrive. Youll get served a beer on the beach for 30p :)

(Night life is amazing but no pics :p )

Soldato
August is going to be ridiculously hot! I wouldn't dare go in that heat. Remember India is a massive country. Start by looking to see exactly where you want to go and what you want to see. How long are you going for? Goa isn't representive at all on India in general. Its a beautiful country but pollution, smell etc can get tiresome.

Associate
August is going to be ridiculously hot

April was the warmest for me when I was there. They dont really have cold but the rainy season from June/July to Sept/Oct made it a lot cooler. I was living in Bangalore though and not Mumbai.

Goa isn't representive at all on India in general. Its a beautiful country but pollution, smell etc can get tiresome.

This is very true

Caporegime
Careful if you're a woman (or going with a woman). Indecent assaults are common - my cousin got molested in a crowd in Goa on her honeymoon :mad: Fortunately her husband was there to protect her but it didn't stop them grabbing.

Soldato
Only drink bottled water, and only from a bottle with an unbroken seal. Once you've finished, crush the bottle. A lot of vendors will refill water bottles from municipal supplies and sell it as cleaner stuff. Be wary of juices, especially in restaurants - it's often watered down with local water.

Don't bother with the taj mahal, it's really not worth it - if you're going to agra, see the red fort instead.

Agree prices with taxis and tuks first and don't change afterwards. Don't pay until you've got your bags out of the cab.

Don't give any money to the kids on the street, you'll be swarmed and followed for the rest of the day.

Be prepared to see a pretty severe poverty divide.

Soldato
Only drink bottled water, and only from a bottle with an unbroken seal. Once you've finished, crush the bottle. A lot of vendors will refill water bottles from municipal supplies and sell it as cleaner stuff. Be wary of juices, especially in restaurants - it's often watered down with local water.

Don't bother with the taj mahal, it's really not worth it - if you're going to agra, see the red fort instead.

Agree prices with taxis and tuks first and don't change afterwards. Don't pay until you've got your bags out of the cab.

Don't give any money to the kids on the street, you'll be swarmed and followed for the rest of the day.

Sounds like my experience when i went to Bangladesh, that and the air smelt like an open sewer the whole time i was there. Never again i will visit any country from Israel to Philippines. Hell holes the lot of them

Soldato
I am sure it goes without saying but DO NOT trust ANYONE! Especially people who look like they are about to help you.

Always bargain with people over prices and move away if you don't agree with the price being offered.

Don't trust the police, they are so very corrupted.

As mentioned before - if you give money to a beggar expect a massive onslaught of people coming after you too!

Soldato
I wouldn't bother.

Would like to see Goa, bu from my work trip there to Mubai and a bit of travelling around it's pretty much a poverty riden ****hole.

Soldato
Whats December like over there? I've been invited to a wedding...

Depend where abouts you're going. North india, Punjab etc would be pretty cold. Nights are around freezing temperatures but the days can be pleasant. The further south you go the warmer it is. Mumbai, Hyderabad etc would be nice. At that time of the year be prepared for lots of pollution/smog/haze though.

Associate
I've been to Dehli, Minali and Leh, Leh is definitely worth a visit if you're into hiking and looking at Buddhist temples as its wayyy up in the Himalayas and has some amazing views ect.
Minali is great for being a streotypical tourist looking to find yourself in a haze of smokeables.
Then Dehli was kinda boring and like any ohter big city IMO.
297070_486507848044608_1817223210_n.jpg

Soldato
I found the wealth disparity quite hard to deal with, along with the number of people just everywhere.
There are some really fantastic places to visit though and some amazing food, masala dosa is easily my favourite.

I agree with most of the advice that has been posted already.

I've been to bangalore, chennai, munnar and coorg. Should be going to goa at the end of this year.
Having the in-laws there makes a big difference to me.

Soldato

Couldn't disagree more about the taj, we've been around the world and seen all sorts of amazing things and sunrise over the taj was right up there.

India is an amazing country the poverty is shocking and the scammers are everywhere but it is well worth a visit. I'd look to go at Easter if I were you though the temperature and humidity are more liveable!

Soldato
Depend where abouts you're going. North india, Punjab etc would be pretty cold. Nights are around freezing temperatures but the days can be pleasant. The further south you go the warmer it is. Mumbai, Hyderabad etc would be nice. At that time of the year be prepared for lots of pollution/smog/haze though.

It would be in Ahmedabad, so the weather should be high 20's to 30?
Why the smog at that time of year though, how is it any different to usual?

I really have no idea about touristy things to do in that part of india either, any ideas?

Soldato
Most products like bottled water, crisps, etc. have an "MRP" printed on it (maximum retail price). You will get conned for the first few days until you realise that this is on every product, and they have to sell it at that price or less.

I had a good time there, but it was hard work. I found China to be a piece of cake by comparison.

I couldn't disagree with this more. Go to the Taj Mahal. It's stunning. But make sure you go early as it gets very, very busy.

Just don't expect the Taj Mahal to be anything amazing inside. You get to walk in a circle around this fake coffin inside a small room, and then you are led outside. The whole experience takes 3 minutes.

The outside is very impressive though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I couldn't disagree with this more. Go to the Taj Mahal. It's stunning. But make sure you go early as it gets very, very busy.

But the Taj Mahal is just it and nothing else in Agra, then you're hundreds of miles from anywhere.

I'm sure it's lovely to see as would be say the Pyramids, but there are many more beautiful places around the world that have an awful lot more awe and things going for them!

Back
Top Bottom