Painting inside garage walls

Soldato
What sort of quotes you getting.

As I've said before, if you not confident, then get someone else to do it, you can run the ring main & the sockets yourself, then get someone to do the swa, consumer unit & connect everything up.

As for the ring main I start at the work bench & work back to the consumer unit.

Permabanned
OP
What sort of quotes you getting.

As I've said before, if you not confident, then get someone else to do it, you can run the ring main & the sockets yourself, then get someone to do the swa, consumer unit & connect everything up.

As for the ring main I start at the work bench & work back to the consumer unit.

This is with me supplying the parts. Quotes have been £850 - £2000 which is a total joke. The parts i got last night was £100.82, cables i got weeks ago and that was 50m for £20.

I'm confident, just knowing what goes where kinda thing with the layouts.

I have a basic idea of how to do this ring main. Like i said 5 sockets on 1 wall, 2 on the other and 1 on the last wall. Do i do them like your drawing with the 2 feeds ether side of the socket running back to the consumer unit? If so no problem doing that at all, i can mark them then.

Nightglow if you want to come supervise and tell me I'll pay you and do it. I'll even throw in a brew and lunch!

Soldato
£850 - £2000 :eek:, that's to fit & connect consumer unit, install ring main, anything else, must be a very large garage...

If you drop the conduit down each end of your bench as my sketch, you can then run each cable back along each side of the garage, dropping down to the sockets as required, until you get back to the consumer unit.

This link show a ring main, can't find anything else.:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mijZX4UM9eo

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
£850 - £2000 :eek:, that's to fit & connect consumer unit, install ring main, anything else, must be a very large garage...

If you drop the conduit down each end of your bench as my sketch, you can then run each cable back along each side of the garage, dropping down to the sockets as required, until you get back to the consumer unit.

This link show a ring main, can't find anything else.:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mijZX4UM9eo

It's a normal single garage. 5m long and 2.6m wide. That was to fit with all part being supplied by my self. SWA already being present.

By the way the SWA is fed from the fuse box inside home, it's on the same switch of the kitchen sockets. This was fitted when the house was built.

So it will a loop for the 5 sockets, loop for the 2 and loop for the single?

Lights i will use a junction box, take feed from consumer unit and do it that way that correct?

I will look at the link once home as work blocks youtube and tor is slow to load

Soldato
By the way the SWA is fed from the fuse box inside home, it's on the same switch of the kitchen sockets. This was fitted when the house was built.

Oh!

Your scuppered, you ain't going to do what you have planned off a spur.

Your will need sort a seperate fuse connection from the house for the supply to the consumer unit in the garage.

Permabanned
OP
Oh!

Your scuppered, you ain't going to do what you have planned off a spur.

Your will need sort a seperate fuse connection from the house for the supply to the consumer unit in the garage.

Really.... why is that? It is fused on the fuse box in the house. maybe i should take some pics

Man of Honour
I was under the impression that you shouldn't spur multiple sockets off a spur (ie daisy chained) but that you can do it if you have an FCU on the spur -

so in this case, the SWA going to the garage is the spur from the kitchen ring, put an FCU on that spur and then you can have multiple sockets in the garage, would that be about right?

Permabanned
OP
Would help.

It's this sentence 'it's on the same switch of the kitchen sockets'.

32A ring by the looks. It's #1 on the box

2e52ix4.jpg

Permabanned
OP
Nightglow

Watched the video, see how to it it.

Start the feed into the socket and then around to the next like a daisy chain but then add the end back round to the consumer unit.

The single socket on it's own will have 2 runs of cable down the conduit, this correct?

2vwa61s.jpg

Soldato
1st Photo. The garage is on a spur off the kitchen I expect, so your your scuppered.

Either need to replace your current consumer unit with a larger one,to provide space for a 40amp mcb or fit an additional new two-way consumer unit fitted with a isolating switch & 40 amp mcb for the garage feed

2nd Photo. Yes.

Permabanned
OP
1st Photo. The garage is on a spur off the kitchen I expect, so your your scuppered.

Either need to replace your current consumer unit with a larger one,to provide space for a 40amp mcb or fit an additional new two-way consumer unit fitted with a isolating switch & 40 amp mcb for the garage feed

2nd Photo. Yes.

Has that really got to be done? If this is an issue why has it been built/installed like this? Not all of these sockets are going to be use. These will be 24/7.

PC
Screen
Speakers
AP
Tumble dryer

Glad 2nd photo is simple, thanks. Itching to go ahead!

Soldato
A non fused spur off a ring main can feed one single or one double socket, or a fused connection unit which can feed how many sockets you like, as they are protected by the fused in the fused connection unit.

Can't lay my hands on my regs book, don't think this has change, but I may be wrong.

Permabanned
OP
I would say so.

The swa cable in the garage, that runs to the house, what does it connect to in the house.

There is an IP box on the outside kitchen wall. You can see a T&E going into it. As for what or where it runs from no idea as full kitchen built in place.

Permabanned
OP
Could run from ip box outside to house consumer unit along outside wall.

So this would just be a case of wire it into the current fuse box? Whats the reason for doing all of this?

The garage has 3 sockets as it is and has been fine. Here at some pics. The conduit is for the LED flood lights

34hvvav.jpg

23mtylu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom