*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Associate
So when I take on CBT after 2 years, I can then do A2 license?

Yes if you wait till you're 17 before doing the CBT, if you take the CBT before you're 17 then you'll have to retake it or do A1 before A2.

If you ride a 125 cc for 2 years on a CBT it will be with L's on ie no motorways or passengers.

Soldato
So I'm 23, want a full bike license.

I need to -;

get provisional
do CBT
theory test
practice test
DA test?

correct?

Incorrect. The direct access is only available once you're 24. Otherwise, you can do an A2 license (what I have) and then wait until you turn 24 anyway.

If I was you, I'd get provisional now, CBT now, a very cheap(as you will be selling it again soon) 125(preferably jap) so you can learn the basics, and either book on a DAS course or start lessons the day/week you turn 24. You could also get your theory test done at any point now as they are valid for 2 years, as are CBT's.

Associate
Going to do my cbt next weekend...

What would be a good option for 95% London traffic with the very occasional dual carriageway?

Have been offered a Yamaha R125 at £1900...

Also need to pick a decent helmet, (no giggling at the back!)

Are Caberg recommended?

Soldato
An R125 for £1900 is a fairly good price.. What's wrong with it? :D

Something like the R125 is a good bike for dual carriageways, probably the fastest 4 stroke 125 on the market I think.

Associate
iv been thinking about switching from a car to a bike the past few days and i am just wondering would i be able to just do my cbt theory then test without any lessons?

i know im probably being really naive but i know how the roads work, it would just be gears that i'd have to get used to.

Man of Honour
iv been thinking about switching from a car to a bike the past few days and i am just wondering would i be able to just do my cbt theory then test without any lessons?

i know im probably being really naive but i know how the roads work, it would just be gears that i'd have to get used to.

Unless you've had experience on a bike before, I would just do the DAS. Can probably do it in 4 days including CBT, MOD 1 and MOD 2. Otherwise you'd need sort your own bike first and transport + insurance for the test, or hire from a school maybe?

It's mainly the slow speed manoeuvres that need learning imo.

Associate
Unless you've had experience on a bike before, I would just do the DAS. Can probably do it in 4 days including CBT, MOD 1 and MOD 2. Otherwise you'd need sort your own bike first and transport + insurance for the test, or hire from a school maybe?

It's mainly the slow speed manoeuvres that need learning imo.

i was under the impression you had to be a certain age for the das, because of my age i can only get an A2 license

Associate
Oh yeah, I should have twigged by your username :p

I just assumed you were over 24.

no worries

would it be possible to get an a2 liscense without having to go out and buy a bike before march next year. iv been thinking the main reason id want a bike liscense is so i can do a little tour of europe.

Associate
I'm going to finally pull my finger out and get my A2 done! Been practising my theory, which will be sat during next month and then I'm going to book my A2 as soon as I pass it!

Otherwise, in 6 months time I'd be sitting my 3rd cbt! Due to it expiring, which I can't deal with.

One

One

Soldato
What is the best route for me? I'm 24 in august so the DAS will be an option for me, however I'm a bit dubious about these intensive courses, would I be better doing a CBT seperately then cramming in some hours on the road on a cheapo 125 then in a couple of months doing the DAS (without CBT element) OR do the courses provide enough tuition to allow me, not only to pass but to also be a proficient road user that's not going to fall off after 2 miles?

My only experience really is accelerating up the driveway then pulling in the clutch and rolling back down on my old Triumph T140V. Now I've spent a fair bit of money fixing it up I'm quite eager to get it into second gear and go round the block on it (if second gear works that is :p)!

Soldato
What is the best route for me? I'm 24 in august so the DAS will be an option for me, however I'm a bit dubious about these intensive courses, would I be better doing a CBT seperately then cramming in some hours on the road on a cheapo 125 then in a couple of months doing the DAS (without CBT element) OR do the courses provide enough tuition to allow me, not only to pass but to also be a proficient road user that's not going to fall off after 2 miles?

My only experience really is accelerating up the driveway then pulling in the clutch and rolling back down on my old Triumph T140V. Now I've spent a fair bit of money fixing it up I'm quite eager to get it into second gear and go round the block on it (if second gear works that is :p)!

First stage - do your CBT. Get that booked ASAP separate to a DAS course. That will be your benchmark to base your next decision on. You'll either fly through the CBT and love it and want to start a DAS course right away, or struggle and maybe need a bit more practise, then the 125 for a few months might be a good route.

I did my CBT and will be on a 125 for 6 months at least, I've now done 1200 miles on my bike (CBT done March 6th, bike bought April 20th) and 5 weeks on the bike seem like ages, my riding and confidence have come on tons in space of a few weeks. Doing 40 miles a day in all weather, filtering through traffic certainly gets the practice in!

The only reason I did a CBT only was due to money and time off work. I know though that when I come to do my DAS later this year/early next year, the time I've spent on the 125 will have benefited me hugely. Should only need 2/3 days training for the DAS, and my varadero is nearly big bike weight and size (150kg) so shouldn't take too much adjusting. Just need to remember to put my left foot down when stopping and not my right!!! :D

Caporegime
Hi guys. I'm 33 :)() and have 'A' on my paper counterpart driving licence in the 'provisional' section. Does this mean that in theory I can do the CBT and then legally ride any bike of any power, as long as it's not on a motorway?

Back
Top Bottom