Changing career (Back to IT)

Nix

Nix

Soldato
It's by no means glamourous, it's not well paid for the work that I do. People mention the pension... this is really good, however it's changed twice now, and I pay in 14% of my salary, with a reduced end rate. Pay freezes, poor working conditions, lack of control over your own destiny, no real chances of moving up or into other departments means morale is depressingly low.

Could be worse, you could be working for a betting shop.

Soldato
I really wouldn't recommend a move into IT.

Use the skills you have, look towards financial services.

Relationship Management
Account Management
Planning

And so on...

Associate
Agree with what others have stated, most IT roles do get very mundane after a while being perfectly honest, but then again that could be applied to a lot of careers

Man of Honour
£20-£25k sounds a bit on the low side for a 29 year old with 'previous' [I'll get my coat!] in the IT industry and plenty of real world and proven analytical experience to bring to the table. I would set your sights on £25k as the minimum; you don't want to undersell yourself and then get stuck in a low paid job (it can happen - I've been there!) as you'll likely then be in your mid-30s before you've clawed your way up to an acceptable salary.

Have you considered moving into the 'soft side' (by which I mean potentially less technical) of IT e.g. Project Management, Business Analysis, Presales, Management in general...? I'd have though experience as a detective might potentially give you a slight leg up in those areas.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just avoid tech support, thats my advice, low pay and stresful hours.

I'm 2nd line tech support currently on ~25k. With breaks I do 32.5 hours a week and im not stressed. Its an IT only office so we offer remote support to many other offices (no-one dumping a broken blackberry or laptop full of viruses on us etc)

Looking at going into a 3rd line position soon (Citrix / Remote working / Communications)

Find a good company and you are laughing

Associate
I was 90% sure that when I opened this thread that OPs current job was in policing!

If you think you can get out of shift work in the next few years then it might be worth staying. If not - crack on and live a better life!

Associate
Have to admit, I'm in the total opposite boat to OP. Currently in 2nd/3rd line support for a very large government organisation but my ultimate goal since being a wee little chap was being a Police Officer. If I am truly honest, I would stick with what you have. It may seem so bad but grass is greener is very very rarely true especially in the IT sector.

How about a swap? ;)

Associate
I wouldn't bother with IT as you already have a career. Most of the entry level jobs are outsourced and its rare to find an employer nowadays who will invest in your development. I reckon I've had over £300k in training over the last 16 years working in Infrastructure if you count fees, accomodation, time off, exam costs etc. There just aren't that many places willing to invest so much nowadays.

I worked for the company that rolled out the Case Prep and Custody systems at several forces. Most of the project and programming managers on that project were serving coppers but doing these back office roles, can't you get more involved in that?

Associate
I made the move from the Police to IT. Although it was more IT to Police and back to IT again if you count Uni. I got sick of dealing with the dregs society on a daily basis and wanted a job where people rarely assaulted you. I also combined it with a move to the other side of the planet, which made it easier to start from scratch in another career. Would never think of going back to the old job, rolling about the ground with drunks and being abused every 5 minutes wears a bit thin after a while. The worst I have to put up with now are deadlines. Took a while to get used to the more civilised lifestyle, but having been in the Police there's not a lot phases you.

Waiting 30 years for a pension is not a good reason to stay in a job you don't like. How about try for a career break?

Associate
OP
I wouldn't bother with IT as you already have a career. Most of the entry level jobs are outsourced and its rare to find an employer nowadays who will invest in your development. I reckon I've had over £300k in training over the last 16 years working in Infrastructure if you count fees, accomodation, time off, exam costs etc. There just aren't that many places willing to invest so much nowadays.

I worked for the company that rolled out the Case Prep and Custody systems at several forces. Most of the project and programming managers on that project were serving coppers but doing these back office roles, can't you get more involved in that?

Thanks, that's useful information and interesting to hear. I think it'd be very difficult for me to get involved in that. I'm in a large force, with a HQ that is run mainly by very high ranking officers and civilians. I don't think I would have much to offer... maybe that says more about my confidence and maybe is a bit defeatist.

I could go for a job vacancy if it came up, but couldn't just become involved due to my interest in IT and computers.

Recently, there was a potentially decent job that came up, which was a detective, focussing on Cyber Crime. For various reasons I couldn't go for it at that time, it could be a good job, but you never know with things like that. Maybe I could consider that.

Waiting 30 years for a pension is not a good reason to stay in a job you don't like. How about try for a career break?

It's basically impossible to get a career break now. Policies changed and you now need a solid reason, i.e. a very sick family member, to take over sole child care... not "I want to travel", or "I'm a bit fed up". That's not allowed unfortunately.

Everything I think off in regards to staying comes back to the negative thought that it's still the Police and it's 30 more years of it. Maybe I am just in a bit of a rut, but it's hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel and quite honestly, I feel trapped by it at the minute.

Associate
OP
I really wouldn't recommend a move into IT.

Use the skills you have, look towards financial services.

Relationship Management
Account Management
Planning

And so on...

Interesting... I've thought about other careers and really up for anything. I even glanced at accountancy as the pay seems really good there. My main issue with going outside the IT world is, that I have no history in other industries.

With IT, at least I can say for years I lived my life around web development and Linux, etc... I did a college course in it, then went to uni and did a HND in IT/Computing and worked as a php/mysql developer for around 2-3 years.

Like I said, I'm open to anything.

Agree with what others have stated, most IT roles do get very mundane after a while being perfectly honest, but then again that could be applied to a lot of careers

Very good point, I'm very cautious of this as I know nothing is perfect.

£20-£25k sounds a bit on the low side for a 29 year old with 'previous' [I'll get my coat!] in the IT industry and plenty of real world and proven analytical experience to bring to the table. I would set your sights on £25k as the minimum; you don't want to undersell yourself and then get stuck in a low paid job (it can happen - I've been there!) as you'll likely then be in your mid-30s before you've clawed your way up to an acceptable salary.

Have you considered moving into the 'soft side' (by which I mean potentially less technical) of IT e.g. Project Management, Business Analysis, Presales, Management in general...? I'd have though experience as a detective might potentially give you a slight leg up in those areas.

Really interested in what you're saying there. I would ideally want to get around £30k but wasn't sure that would be a bit arrogant of me having changed careers and expecting it.

With the "soft side", that's a great idea. I'm lacking confidence and fresh knowledge in the technical areas, so I haven't really got any up-to-date knowledge and don't remember much from when I was in IT. Maybe I could re-learn but it would take a lot of time.

Do you have any further advice on what jobs to look out for in those areas, or what courses? I will look myself, but just wondered.

Have to admit, I'm in the total opposite boat to OP. Currently in 2nd/3rd line support for a very large government organisation but my ultimate goal since being a wee little chap was being a Police Officer. If I am truly honest, I would stick with what you have. It may seem so bad but grass is greener is very very rarely true especially in the IT sector.

How about a swap? ;)

I would swap but you've not sold your job very well :p

Associate
OP
Oh also... one of my main questions is:

I'm keen to do some extra courses or training, particularly, fairly quick ones - i.e. that can be completed in a month or two. Ideally then I could have a list of say, 2, 3 or 4 courses I've done to show I've learned some new skills and also know a bit more about whatever industry I'm looking at.

Associate
Oh also... one of my main questions is:

I'm keen to do some extra courses or training, particularly, fairly quick ones - i.e. that can be completed in a month or two. Ideally then I could have a list of say, 2, 3 or 4 courses I've done to show I've learned some new skills and also know a bit more about whatever industry I'm looking at.

VMWare qualifications are a must nowadays in my opinion. They are becoming more common by the day (the use of virtualization) especially where I work and they're relatively cheap compared to MCSE's etc

Soldato
VMWare qualifications are a must nowadays in my opinion. They are becoming more common by the day (the use of virtualization) especially where I work and they're relatively cheap compared to MCSE's etc

Isn't the vmware course worth mentioning only possible if you sit the 4/5 day course? surely this would be a couple of grand at least. There are cheaper but I've read they're not worth it.

This compared to the mcse where you can find all material for free/cheap + £100 for the exams. this would come out a lot cheaper?

Saying that - You're probably best of with VMware - IF you do want to go down the virtual route.

Associate
OP
Good job for me?

After looking at more jobs for ideas, it occurred to me that I could do fairly well by going for Cyber Crime or online Fraud jobs.

I've got good criminal investigation background, knowledge of the evidential chain, prosecution powers, etc...

Also have some knowledge (old and forgotten some) of PHP, web technologies, how computers work and internet procedures.

Additionally, I'm trained as a cyber crime officer in my force, I've investigated online fraud (once or twice!) and have good knowledge of criminal forensics, and how to fully record it.

I think I could enter fairly well into that industry, certainly higher than entry level I think.

Any ideas on this or advice?

Associate
I think you need to actively ask about IT opportunities within your force. As I said, when I worked on NSPIS there were serving officers as program managers, project managers etc and actually trained up to do the technical administration. Not all forces were like that but the majority of the 28 I dealt with were. Humberside and Suffolk were particularly copper heavy in the IT department and TVP had a uniformed Inspector in charge of their case/custody rollout.

I left that project about 5 years ago now but I doubt things could have changed that much. There's always a new IT system being plugged in somewhere!

Plus if you're senior officer grade when you retire you could go an work for PITO, a very highly paid retirement home.

Associate
Good job for me?

After looking at more jobs for ideas, it occurred to me that I could do fairly well by going for Cyber Crime or online Fraud jobs.

I've got good criminal investigation background, knowledge of the evidential chain, prosecution powers, etc...

Also have some knowledge (old and forgotten some) of PHP, web technologies, how computers work and internet procedures.

Additionally, I'm trained as a cyber crime officer in my force, I've investigated online fraud (once or twice!) and have good knowledge of criminal forensics, and how to fully record it.

I think I could enter fairly well into that industry, certainly higher than entry level I think.

Any ideas on this or advice?

FSA or whatever they're called now. They don't just go for lunch with bankers - they do big fraud jobs as well. Lot's of forensic accounting or whatever you call it. They often work alongside other agencies like the police, NCA and the FBI.

Back
Top Bottom