DC Vault

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Stan_Lite, with your GTX670s what NVidia driver versions are you using? I'm still on 320.49 because of the problems later versions caused with Folding@Home but the newer ones include CUDA6 which is supposed to help with GPUGRID. Any views?

Currently running 335.23. Seems to be fine, although I've only had it back on a few days so it's hard to tell. I shied away from newer drivers after several fiascos with F@H and new drivers but, so far, I haven't had any issues with GPUGrid.

Updated the drivers in my main rig (2 X GTX690) at about the same time and it seems to be fine too. It seems as if BOINC is more resilient to driver updates than F@H.

Soldato
OP
Does anyone know how to get GIMPs working on AMD GPUs?

You need mfakto, I have been using v0.13 didn't realise there was a newer version until just now.

After you've downloaded, extract the mfakto file and add a "worktodo.txt" file in the directory.
Log into your account at the GIMPS site and select manual testing /assignments from the left hand side drop down menu, you want:

Preferred work type: Trial factoring.
Number of assignments you want for each core: (how many work units you want).. say 10 for e.g.

Copy and paste the work units into your "worktodo.txt" file, each work unit will look something like this: Factor=*3B,94668187,69,70

I change the range up to 72, or 73 to look like this: Factor=*3B,94668187,69,73
..otherwise they complete too quickly and your constantly getting & uploading work..

Run the mfato.exe, when the work units are complete you have a "results.txt" file in your work directory. log into the GIMPS site again and upload it via "manual testing/results". you can "choose file" and "upload" the results.txt or copy and paste your results and "submit".

If you have more than one card in a machine, you need to create separate work directories and make shortcuts adding -d 0 , -d 1 ..etc for the separate cards (this is explained in the readme)

Soldato
OP
There's a sub project of GIMPs called GPU to 72, I've known about it for a while but never bothered checking it out, I'm trying it now. It has a minimum exponent range of 72 for TF work so there's no need to manually change the ranges.
What you do is get your work from there and submit your results as usual at the GIMPs site. There are also DC double checking work units available which I've not get tried and I see a tool on there called MISFIT designed to automate the fetching and submitting of work, also Free-DC are now providing up to date GIMPs stats :)

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
Having found the site that explained team stomping and the points gained I don't understand what the daily minor point increases/decreases I see in the team stats equate to. Are they just based on individual team members going up/down the rankings in a particular project ?

For example, Rosetta@Home increased by 0.005460 according to the dc-vault stats today. How is that calculated ? Don't forget to show all your working out :eek:

PDW

PDW

Associate
Thanks, not sure I completely follow your explanation but I'll try and watch a couple of projects and team numbers to track progress.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, not sure I completely follow your explanation but I'll try and watch a couple of projects and team numbers to track progress.

I'll try and explain it better. Each project listed in the DC Vault is worth a maximum of 10,000 points. That is if you were ranked no. 1 in a project you would get 10,000 vault points.

Take PSP for example. There are currently only 30 teams with points on the board, so 10,000/30 = 333.33... pts per position, we are in seventh, so take one away, times it by the points per position and subtract it from 10,000 and that's our overall vault points score.

7-6= 6 x 333.33... = 2000 | 10,000 - 2000 = 8000

Say a new team joined tomorrow, so there were 31 teams not 30
10,000/31 = 322.58 so each vault position now would be worth 322.58 pts instead of 333.33...

7-6= 6 x 322.58 = 1935.48 | 10,000 - 1935.48 = 8064.52

So we'd gain an extra 64.52 vault points just because another team joined, of course we'd lose out if they overtook us :)

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
I expect one of the servers collecting data has stalled again. Last time I said so on the forum and it got fixed but got no response so was just seeing if it got fixed automagically or whether Stephen needs telling. Guess telling him gets it fixed quicker !

Thanks for the more detailed explanation, I think that is what I thought but would need to monitor the figures to make sure :)

PDW

PDW

Associate
Other news, I had thought about joining Eon but decided to go with Pogs which was just as well as Eon has shut down and I would have wasted time trying to work out why it wasn't working !

PDW

PDW

Associate
I've joined another non-vault project but it is only just starting and has no OcUK team so I don't know if one of you guys who know what you're doing wants to create a team or not ? [Also wasn't sure if I should posted about it in here either !]

The project is gene@home and you need a code to get in which I can let you have if you want to make a team. They are still testing it so no idea how smoothly it will run at the moment.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I've turned all my rigs "Not on" for the summer. The heat in my flat was getting unbearable and it'll only get worse as the weather warms up. I'm afraid we'll take a bit of a hit in GPUGrid as a result but I'm not going to spend the whole summer sweating and being uncomfortable. Normal service will resume in September or October.

Back
Top Bottom